Tougher than a Kimberley Kamper??

Submitted: Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 23:43
ThreadID: 11276 Views:5725 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

After a bad experience hiring a Kimberley Kamper and having it fail badly on the Mitchell Falls track, I am now looking for something better suited to the rough terrain.

Have read comments on the camprites in the past on this forum and believe that a regular forum reader owns one(Mellisa???). I am interested in some details on these campers and would like to know both the good points and bad points about its design and construction.

One vital improvement over the Kimberley Kamper's suspension design is the safety strap that retains the trailing arm so as not to release the coil spring when the OME shocks fail. Been there, done that!

I am interested to hear from Mellisa, who has a Patrol and a Camprite, as this would be the same combo as what I am looking at. I am wondering if the barn doors of a the Patrol can be opened when the camper is attached? From the photo's on the website it doesn't appear to provide enough room for the larger door to be opened. This would create problems as the fridge is mounted on a slide on that side of the wagon.

I have to accomodate 4 including myself. I need to know if they are as easy to erect and fold down as it demonstrates on the website. Also wondering about accomodating a 2nd spare for the trailer?

All feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Marty and Sam - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 01:44

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 01:44
Hi Dave
We own and are very happy with our Camprite camper. We tow it behind a 2002 GU Patrol wagon it tows so well you forget that it is there. As to your question about opening the rear doors we to have the fridge mounted on the drivers side and as long as the camper is straight behind the Patrol you can open the doors no problem at all.

As to accomodating 4 the Camprite will suit you perfectly standard it will sleep four with the optional bunk set up you can sleep six.

As to erecting it and folding it down yes it is as simple as is demonstrated on there web site.

We have a dual spare wheel carrier on the Patrol so have no need for an extra on the camper but i am sure that if you spoke to Matt or Reg from Camprite that they would be able to do something for you maybe they could modify the outboard motor carrier that we have on ours to instead carry the extra spare wheel.

Camprite have got a display at the Caravan and Camping show at Ascot this weekend and have our camper on display if you get the chance go and have a look and a chat with them they are very helpfull and if you decide to buy one you will not be dissapointed.
AnswerID: 50480

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 02:13

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 02:13
pretty sure part of the wiggles will be there this weekend.
so is there a web link to the camprite website?

too lazy too search
AnswerID: 50482

Reply By: landie - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 08:35

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 08:35
I think you will find that Kimberley Kampers has addressed the issue you mention regarding the suspension. Generally I have found them a responsive company that take steps to correct any issues that arise.

I have a KK and it has given no problems. Personally, I am not a fan of OME's in any case, and have considered changing them.

Landie
AnswerID: 50497

Reply By: Arkay - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 09:35

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 09:35
We don't have a KK. We have another type of flip-over camper trailer (Bushranger)with independent suspension and leaf springs (as opposed to coils), and A Jackaroo, and have had no trouble (yet). But that is by the way. What I want to say is that we CAN open both our rear doors if the 4WD points straight ahead. If however it is turned a little to one (the wrong) side then the big door won't open properly. So I am careful how I park for camping or wayside stop.
It stands to reason that if you have this non-opening trouble with the Patrol straight ahead, then if you turn the steering wheel a little to one side (the correct side) as you stop the 4WD sort of sticks its' bum out to one side, and you will be able to open the big door and get to the fridge.
AnswerID: 50503

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 10:07

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 10:07
Dave we looked around for 6 mths before we decided on a camper and chose Redback, they seemed to be strongest design we looked at and were told that it was a very good and well built trailer, also they are the only one's to use 16oz canvas, price was a deciding factor as well and Redback has an walk in section at the front of bed when you open up the tent section, no need for a ladder to get up on to the bed, which give's you more living space and storage as well.

Baz.
AnswerID: 50507

Reply By: Peter Guy - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 16:10

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 16:10
Dave the toughest camper trailer known to man is the Wanderer. We took ours all through the Kimberly with no probs what so ever.
AnswerID: 50540

Reply By: Big Trev - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 13:06

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 13:06
We have a Southern Cross Camper, we are very happy with happy with it. Have a look at their website;

SC Campers
AnswerID: 50685

Reply By: Midge - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:56

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:56
We have the Campomatic, last year towed it along the Gunbarrell out to Walcott Inlet in the Kimberley and up to Kalumburu on the Mitchel Plataue Rd with a boat on top of the camper no trouble at all. Very happy with it.
AnswerID: 50790

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)