Mt Davies Road

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 10:30
ThreadID: 11283 Views:1907 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone travelled the Mt Davies Road in NW SA.
If you have what is the condition of the road and what permits are required.
I am looking at doing this trip in June/July this year.
Jim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 11:39

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 11:39
Can you give us a bit more of a clue please?
AnswerID: 50518

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 13:36

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 13:36
Hiya Ruthy,
Tip no. 1 It's in Sth Aus
Tip No. 2 It's in the NW
or try the following link from Google Mt Davies/Pine Ridge

http://www.atns.net.au/biogs/A000061b.htm
AnswerID: 50526

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 13:50

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 13:50
Hey smarty-pants, someone told you I was a blond, didn't they? behave or I'll sool Willem onto you - failing that, Mrs. Al!
FollowupID: 312330

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 14:28

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 14:28
You told me you were blond, the rest was easy. hahahaha
I have met you and I can still remember the time. Fortunately for you, I was only one of many passing through the carapark at the time a couple of years ago.
FollowupID: 312334

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 16:22

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 16:22
Hey Des Lexik - it wouldn't let me in. What did you tell it about me? Don't worry I'll do the old fashioned thing and look up my hard map.
FollowupID: 312482

Reply By: lindsay - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 20:19

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 20:19
Jim, I have also wanted to go up there, however i believe it is still hard to get a permit to go along that road . There was a tag along advertising a couple of years go but they did not go the full length. I went up a short distance a couple of years ago and it was overgrown and the dunes were quite soft. I have heard that you must get a guide to take you and there are no women allowed on the trip. This I was told was a requirement of the owners. Best of luck I would start trying now.
AnswerID: 50576

Follow Up By: Jim7 - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 10:10

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 10:10
Hi Lindsay. Thanks for the info. I also drove the road for about 10km two years ago and it was pretty overgrown then. I was doing the Anne Beadell and didn't have enough time to explore any further.
I will take your advice and start investigating now.
Thanks again.. Jim
FollowupID: 312431

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:16

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:16
Jim,

we did this trip a couple of years ago. I have recently been trying to get permits to travel between Marla and Pipalyatjara and it is near impossible. They just won't give anyone a permit for transit. You have to have a reason to visit like work or being an MP or a copper on duty.

We turned NW from Annes Corner and drove to Pipalyatjara. I have to tell you this is some of the most amazing desert country in Oz. The dunes make Big Red look small. One day we covered 80 km and spent the whole day digging and snatching - absolutely buggered at the end of it.

Mt Lindsay is a rocky out crop of spectacular beauty. There is a small community there but we didn't stop. After that the track improves a bit. We thought we were the first people in years to cross the southern part as the track was completely obliterated for 100s of meters and we had to fan out on foot to find where it cross the next dune.

We didn't find out until after that the guy organising the permits had made a mistake and we went through illegally. We had permits for the Anne Beadell Hwy but not the Mt Davies Rd. I am sure we would never have been given permission so I'm glad I was in ignorant bliss at the time. We didn't see another soul between Coober Pedy and Pipalyatjara so I am thinking that no harm was done.
AnswerID: 50776

Follow Up By: Jim7 - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 12:58

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 12:58
Thanks Bob for that info,... you have me even more determined to go.
I dont mind a bit of digging, etc, keeps you fit, and boy do I need it.
The HEMA Great Desert Tracks Maps show that region as Anangu Pitjantjatjara Lands and that it is not accessable by the General Public.
Did you get to Surveyor General's Corner on your trip as I have heard that is sometimes closed?
I have heard somewhere else that the scenary on that road is spectacular.
I have met people travelling on Aboriginal Land who completely ignore the Permits and have never had any trouble.
I suppose in your case you didn't see anyone so there was no worry. What worries me is what if you come accross someone of authority, do you just pleed ignorance and say "sorry I wont do it again".

Regards
Jim
FollowupID: 312600

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 20:32

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 20:32
Jim
the guy running the fuel outlet at Pipalyatjara told us that if the locals getbleepoff with you they think nothing of trashing a vehicle. That would be a far greater concern than a $10,000 fine.

The permit application forms say expressly that access to Surveyor Generals corner is completely out of the question.

I don't mind the permit system but I think it has gone too far and people with reasonable reasons to visit or traverse aboriginal lands are being denied the opportunity without even getting a fair hearing. I don't mind paying for the privilege of visiting, but the blanket denial is very offensive.

The SA part is controlled by the Anagu Pit LC 08 89548111.

The WA part is under the Ngaanyatjarra LC 08 89501711
FollowupID: 312693

Reply By: Jim7 - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 08:58

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 08:58
Thanks again Bob. I will give those numbers a try. Jim
AnswerID: 51024

Sponsored Links