Prado 120 Tyres & Suspension

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 17:52
ThreadID: 11296 Views:6513 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Recently took a Prado 120 to Fraser Is & found the ground clearance too low & the suspension sagging a tad at the back.
1. Am thinking of 265/70/17 Cooper or BFG ATs which should give be about 10mm more clearance... from what i hear i might have to stick with the factory alloy rims until a suitable steel alternative comes on the market
2. Not sure whether to go for heavier duty coils/shocks or PolyAir bags. If coil/shocks then not really sure I need any further lift out of the suspension unless it is only a token 10-20mm.
3. Has anyone fitted proper recovery hooks to the front?
Any thoughts on the above appreciated. Otherwise the Prado has proved to be a very driveable unit with no squeaks/rattles.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: srowlandson - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 08:17

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 08:17
I put a 50mm lift in my Prado.

Around $300 got me 4 springs. took 2 hours to fit.

I used the factory shocks and front struts.

HUGE improvement, and the 33" tyres no longer rub.

Well worth the money, even with factory shocks the handling and comfort offroad is amazing.

http://steven.4wdpics.com

I have a few pics of the lift there

I am working on front hook at the moment, just looking for the best place
AnswerID: 50644

Follow Up By: DrewT - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 16:04

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 16:04
Steve .. any problems with the original shockies not having enough extension for the longer springs??

PS: what do you thin of the idea of just using the original recovery (tie-down) eyes with a bridle to share the load? .. the eyes look stronger than a lot of factory ones
FollowupID: 312831

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 09:35

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 09:35
Drew,

If you are going to do a bit of off roading you definately need some lift in the suspension department. Before my change two trips out and I nearly scrapped the rear bumper away both times. I have fitted OME front and rear and that has taken the harshness out of the suspension and lifted the rear about 60mm. No scraping now.!

As far as recovery hooks go you are very limited. I have commissioned a company to design and make rated recovery points and I expect them to be available within the next month or so.
AnswerID: 50651

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:30

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:30
Hi David
Have you seen the "BushHook" 10,000Kg rated hook & fits in the towbar hitch held by the pin, made in Melb by John a TLC member,
and will be in use on recovery vehicles at Cruisakana.
Used mine on the Prado twice at the TLC LD trip to snatch a 100 series.

Cheers
FollowupID: 312547

Reply By: Joe - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 20:33

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 20:33
Hi Drew,
I have purchased an equalizer strap that attaches to 2 front hooks and spreads the load. My ARB dealer advised that the factory hooks were fine for , snatching and my hand winch, but not for being recovered by the likes of a bulldozer.

Re suspension I got a OME MED rated 40mm lift and longer travel nitro shocks fitted.With a full load travelling some very tough fire trails the 100 series and Nissan Patrols in our group had no advantage. Infact the Prado turning circle handled the switch backs better.

I am running 265/70/17 Mickey Thompson MTX all terrains. They chopped up badly on trip, but the tyre people advised so would have Coopers and BFG as all 17 inch available at present are passenger rated. Cooper will have LT rated tyres in about 3 months. In mean while I am fitting 16" steel rims and 265/75/16 and will have full selection of choice, and have picked Cooper STT.
Regards
Joe
AnswerID: 50941

Follow Up By: DrewT - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 15:55

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 15:55
thx joe. where/who did you purchase the equalizer strap as this seems a good idea? the original tie-down eyes look pretty robust to my untrained eye!
FollowupID: 312829

Follow Up By: Joe - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 20:23

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 20:23
Drew,
I got them from Steve www.offroader.com.au. Then go to off road shop. Price is about $42.
As I said the ARB dealer advised the hooks were fine for normal recovery, so adding the equalizer strap provides an added deminstion of safety.
Regards
Joe
FollowupID: 312854

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 20:49

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 20:49
Drew,

Just today I talked to my friendly tyre dealer about new boots for the Prado when it is delivered. He said to bring it round the day I get it and he will fit Cooper A/Ts in 265/70R17 for a changeover of $750 for the 5 original GrandTrek AT20s. Retail on these tyres is $295ea so that sounds like a decent deal to me.

Went to my Toyo dealer after work to see if this would make any difference to Insurance (Dealer organised) and they said no (I might still check that with the insurance company later!). While I was there they showed me a Prado that is for delivery to customer tomorrow that has just had these fitted ($850) and they looked the goods.

I was worried about the Overall Diameter being increased by more than 15mm which is apparantly the maximum increase allowed under ADR on the tyre on the placard but both the tyre dealer and the Toyo dealer said "no worries". Will make some more enquiries on this.

StevenL
AnswerID: 50950

Follow Up By: maccas - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 17:12

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 17:12
StevenL,
If you increase your OD just watch your speed as speedo will read slower than your going, ie. speedo will read 110 but your actual speed will be a little faster.
Cheers,
Maccas
FollowupID: 314017

Reply By: maccas - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 10:57

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 10:57
Hi,
Does anyone have an update on new Prado recovery hook issue - I got new Prado when they first came out and couldn't believe they had deleted it. I wouldn't have bought it! Can't believe a year later still hasn't been resolved. Do the new ones now have a hook at the rear? Mine only has the tow bar & another loop.
I have gotten bogged a couple of times at Fraser in soft dry sand due to loss of momentum (didn't gun it) or stopping on incline as turkey coming down wouldn't giveway. With low clearance bottoms out on engine & gearbox bash plates (needs a snow plough arrangement to throw sand into the drive track-truely!) - thanks Toyota for dropping the new one 25mm - real smart now we have to pay more to get a lift kit to get 50mm back. Don't bother with 10mm won't be enough alone. What tyre pressure do you run on in the sand I found with the standard GXL tyres that I did better putting air back in the tyres to get a bit more height not dropping further. I tried 25, 20 & back to 25psi was fine. I used snatchem linked with a rated winch strap for longer length & a sensible recovery driver to ease the car out not rip it out stupidly. An equalising cable between the two loops sounds like a good idea. Otherwise used rated tow ball and same sensible approach for getting others out.
I helped a Forrester get out & he had bought a new strap on the Island & some turkey snapped it on him - luckily didn't damage the car or kill someone.
Its a good car although thirsty around town up to 16l/100km (10.3l/100km highway) with Turbo Diesel 3.0. What economies others getting?
Cheers, Maccas.
AnswerID: 52265

Sponsored Links