new hilux or rodeo

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 18:05
ThreadID: 11297 Views:1845 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
just been given the go ahead on a new company car.its going to be a duel cab,turbo diesel (base model 4x4) hilux or rodeo.its my choice but id like some advice from exploroz users.i dont need the 4x4 for work,only for weekends and i live in the kimberly.what would you buy?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rolande- Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 18:09

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 18:09
Haven't looked into this personally, but friends have commented on the amount of interior space in the Rodeo, much more than Hilux
Rolande
AnswerID: 50555

Reply By: navaraman - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 18:34

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 18:34
I looked at both models recently before deciding to buy second hand (thanks to getting a good deal) The Rodeo has much more room than the HiLux and more power but less torque. I would probably go the toyota, more off road goodies available, better resale value, and better to drive IMO (better off road according to reports I read) but there wasn't much in it. I guess you should drive both to see which you prefer and screw the best deal out of a dealer. Good luck, they're both great vehicles.
AnswerID: 50559

Reply By: Vince NSW - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 21:34

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 21:34
Go for the Rodeo. I have had 2 and both did over 300000 without a problem. (both petrol). Now have a Fronteria which has a lot of the same innards, but the next one will have to be a redeo again as they have stopped importing the froneria.
Vince
AnswerID: 50597

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 22:31

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 22:31
If you live in the Kimberley - you should know what lasts - talk to the mechanics round the place - I would go the Hilux - built a little stronger - a proper 4WD. I have had hiluxs as fleet vehicles and they were good - look at resale values aswell. Hiluxs hold value better. Corrugations I think the Hilux would be the go. Driven a couple of Rodeo's (few years ago) didn't like em much - noisey and not much good in the more difficult stuff. New rodeo might be totally different though -look Ok.
AnswerID: 50612

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 10:02

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 10:02
Take it from me , the new ra rodeo is not worth a pinch on the old model, we run rodeos in our fleet and so just carried on with the new one after our good experiences... mine has 34k on it now and is still making regular trips to the dealer for warranty / poor build quality issues. I cannot load or work it anywhere near as hard as the old model. the body is very thin and weak, the suspension hopeless, etc.etc. But it does have more room in the front two seats only...

Only go the ra if you are 6 foot tall, otherwise the toyo takes it hands down.
AnswerID: 50658

Reply By: Dennis (Brisbane) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 20:36

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 20:36
But then there was the guy on this forum a little while ago that is on his third FRONT diff in a 03 Hilux. They don't make anything to last nowdays, regardless of brand.

The Hilux seems to get softer with every new model, one of the tour operators here a few months ago said the new Rodeo would climb hills where the Hilux wouldn't on a tour.

But the options available and resale on Hilux is way better.

Moving construction of the Rodeo to Mayalasia (?) probably wasn't ever going to be the best move for build quality.

Get the best deal you can, forget brand loyalty, it is a company car after all.
AnswerID: 50749

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 08:56

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 08:56
rodeo now made in thailand , old model japan. Agree front toyo diffs are a concern. but like you said, its a lease jobbie, flog it for 3 years and see ya later.....
FollowupID: 312575

Sponsored Links