Duel battery.

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 21:17
ThreadID: 11306 Views:4323 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Is it necessary to install a 2nd battery to run say a 50 litre fridge in the back of a 2002 cruiser if going on a trip that might last up to a year.

Regards,

Tac
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 21:36

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 21:36
Yes.
AnswerID: 50598

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 22:18

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 22:18
YES!

Do a search of this forum and you will find 100's of threads about batteries and fridges.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 50608

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 08:29

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 08:29
Hi Tac
Yes if you want to enjoy the trip.
No if you are happy with hot beer and off food. The Waeco can be set so it will not run down the battery too much so you can start the vehicle, but this means the fridge has to turn off. If you are going to stay in CP each night, no problem as the fridge can then run of 240v with the adapter each night, bush camping is then out
Ray
AnswerID: 50645

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 13:26

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 13:26
No, provided you have someone travelling with you who has dual batt and jumper leads
AnswerID: 50688

Reply By: Alfred - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 21:46

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 21:46
As said above its not necessary, and using 240 volts is limiting your camping to caravan parks.I have a 50L Waeco fridge and for ease of operation and peace of mind I use a Waeco Thumper power pack to power the fridge and run camp lights. The power pack is strapped in the back next to the fridge, but can be removed and used to jump start the motor if the main battery fails. Its a cheaper alternative to a dual battery set-up and works great, lasts up to 48 hours between charging.

Good luck, and enjoy OZ.
Alfred (Smithfield NSW)
AnswerID: 50769

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 21:55

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 21:55
Hi Alfred
Whats the cost on the Thumper & how do you charge it ?

Cheers
FollowupID: 312534

Follow Up By: Alfred - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 23:28

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 23:28
Cost me $580 12 months ago, plus $150 for an auto electrician to fit the wiring and plugs. Can use cigarette lighter plugs but had Hella(brand) plugs fitted as recommended for a more secure contact. The wiring comes from the main battery through a relay that only works when the ignition is on, which therefor is charged by the alternator. When the ignition is off the relay disconnects the Thumper from the main battery. The fridge remains connected to the Thumper at all times using one of two Hella plug outlets. There are also two cigarette lighter plug outlets which I use for camp lights. The Thumper is supplied with wiring and plug to be charged from a cigarette lighter (either dash or rear plugs in some wagons), but is not recommended by Waeco due to thin wiring leading to these plugs causing insufficient charge to the power pack.

Happy 4 wheelin
Alfred (Smithfield NSW)

PS. I'm heading down to Davie's High Plain and Mt Pinnibar inVic during Easter can you or any other forumite recommend any attractions in the area?
FollowupID: 312562

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 00:33

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 00:33
Hi Alfred
I paid the same as you for a Piranha duel battery set up 12 months ago, so no real price difference, and its under the bonnet out of the way which is great if you have the space, can also be used to replace the main battery if need be.

Sorry I can't help with Davie's High Plain or Mt Pinnibar, John had some info for you on another Post. I suggest you put in a new post for Info,
as there are some here in Vic. who could help but I have not seen them on the forum tonight.
Can't join you either as I'm off to the Flinders Ranges for 18 Days and counting the days.

Cheers
FollowupID: 312567

Follow Up By: Alfred - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 23:22

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 23:22
My 2003 Hilux 3.0Turbo Diesel doesn't have the space under the bonnet for a second battery, otherwise I would have gone that option, unlike other 4WD's which look neat and work great with a dual battery set-up.
My other option was to install a dual battery set-up with the second battery mounted in the rear utility behind one of the wheel wells. I did not go for this option for three reasons:
1. I do not have the space with my custom made shelf/storage system.
2. I was quoted $1080 for the installation including outlet plugs for fridge and camp lights, and using heavy guage wiring from the engine bay to the rear battery.
3. I was NOT keen on installing a lead acid battery in the rear, and a low maintenance dry-cell battery (which would have been great) would have added an extra $500 to the above price.

This is why I chose the Thumper power pack, as it's a low maintenance dry-cell battery, has 4 built in outlet plugs, cost me $730 with auto electrician, and can be easily removed if needed.

My choice has served me well. As said above, if space available would have fitted second battery under bonnet.

Cheers,
Alfred
FollowupID: 312871

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 00:14

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 00:14
Hi Alfred
Now I understand your choice, both systems have there benefits, the worst part about 4wd is the cost of all the goodies we need.

Cheers
FollowupID: 312873

Reply By: -OzyGuy- - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 16:48

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 16:48
Tac,
I have never push started a land Cruiser have you?
get it out on the local shopping centre carpark and see how you will be spending your time, because if you don't get a good duel battery system and you flatten your start battery you will be pushing the cruiser....

By a "good" system I am including an Isolator suitable for the type of batteries you sellect, which will naturally be a Deep Cycle battery, because they are made to be cycled down low and then recharged where a crank battery is made for the quick surge of power used to start the Cruiser...

Check out the web pages of various battery manufactures and suppliers and you can read the difference between the two different types of batteries.

Note that Crank batteries are rated as "Cold Cranking Amps" and Deep Cycle Batteries are rated as "Amp/Hour" simply because they are designed differently internally for totally different purposes, one is the quick race car and the other is the slow bulldozer.
AnswerID: 51794

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 15:47

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 15:47
I hear you...........suffered one caravanning holiday with a Waeco Outback (24 Amp Hrs). What a pain in the !@#$ having to recharge it all the time. Bit the bullet and got ARB to fit a dual battery system with a manual override switch if the starter battery fails. Wired to power the van and power sockets in the back. That was 18 months ago and we've travelled from Perth-Darwin-Perth-Darwin and numerous camping trips around NT. You never think twice about it running the Waeco constantly. Still carry the Outback as a back up, good for starting the boat when it's battery goes flat.

Tip. The Urban/Outback/Thumper have a habit of overcharging and becoming balloon shaped. They don't tell you that in the translated owner manual. So as they have no safety feature to stop that I wouldn't use it as a regular source of 12 volt power that you don't need to constantly have to monitor with a Multi Meter. Don't trust the LCD displays that say the unit is fully charged, it usually needs another 1.5 volts.

Wizard
Darwin
Prado TD
Jayco Freedom
FollowupID: 315676

Sponsored Links