Collie River (WA) - No More Camping

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 03:33
ThreadID: 11319 Views:5715 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I have just come back from 4WD club meeting tonight and still somewhat in disbelief on report from 4WD association rep feedback on news that camping along the Collie River has been banned.

The ban is the result of a campaign from (I think) SW Aboriginal Land Council (Noongar peoples). Whilst I have every respect for such claims and Aboriginal people, this news comes as a bit of a shock as it applies to individual access to lands, not mining, etc. Perhaps somewhat similar to Ayers Rock (Uluru). The ban applies to private camping and even CALM registered sites such as Honeymoon Pool. Apparently the CALM sites along the Collie River are all being torn up to revegitate the environment. And CALM just pumped a whole lot of tax payers money into Honeymoon Pool. We were advised that the WA 4WD assoc has negotiated club access to the assoc camp site. News doesn't seem good for everyone else.

I must say that I have not personally followed this up to check the truth of the claim, though I have no reason to disbelieve the assoc rep. What concerns me is that the Noongar lands cover SW across to Esperance, up to Southern Cross and across to Geraldton. This is a huge area and I wonder if this ruling is only the tip of the iceberg.

Does anyone else know more about this? I'll see what CALM have to say. Certainly, if true, it does not appear to have been subject to much public debate.

Regards,
Hugh
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pluto - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 08:35

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 08:35
I had a look on NatureBase and on SW Aboriginal Land Council found no reference to such a closure.
AnswerID: 50647

Reply By: Member - Bigbear - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 13:56

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 13:56
Was at the same meeting of the 4WD asssoc and yes they are wanting to close the Collie River to camping. This has been an ongoing thing for sometime.The Land Manager page on the Assoc web page will tell you all about this. He is meeting with the Noongar Council and negotiations are still continuing.

Bigbear
AnswerID: 50690

Reply By: Bilbo - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 23:19

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 23:19
Not a constructive comment, I know - but I told ya so. It was only a matter of time.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 50794

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 18:01

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 18:01
Hugh,

I can confirm that most of the bush campsites along the Collie River (I'm referring to those sites along Lennard drive) were torn up and blocked off by CALM quite some time ago. We found this to be that case when we were last down there about 14mths ago and it seemed to us that CALM had done this many months before that time. The camp site known as the "4WD Assoc. campground" was the only one still open and that's where we stayed. Not sure how CALM would police the "club access only" rule for this campsite if what you say is true.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 50912

Sponsored Links