Price Comparison on GQ Uni Joints

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 10:19
ThreadID: 11323 Views:1474 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,
As promised here is the price comparison for Genuine and after market Uni Joints for GQ's

Genuine nissan Uni Rear Shaft $139.00 each
Repco Price (reputable brand) $ 71.00 each

Genuine nissan front shaft uni $134.00 each
Robbo's price $ 30.00 each

I mentioned once before about spare prices for all manufacturers out there, this it seems is where they make a killing as far as profits go. a couple of examples of over pricing i have come across in my days are as follows...

Hilux ute ( the old telstra orange ones) heater tap from Toyota $ 322.00 new
Holden wrecking yard ..same tap $12.00

GQ water pump Genuine $121.00
SMS (same pump nissan uses) $ 98.00

It dont matter what badge it wears, They really do very well in spares as far as dollars go. I used to always buy genuine products, i avoid them now if possible. I even had change left over to buy me 1 spare of each uni (front & Rear) to add to my spares list when travelling.

My point is guys, take the time, make 2 or 3 calls to reputable spare parst shops and get some prices, you will be amazed at just how much you can save.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 11:21

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 11:21
I can tell you the aftermarket waterpump and clutch fans are crap.

Theres also quality on items. I wouldnt consider Repco Items to be same quality... YMMV...

Look at an Repco rebuilt engine V Genuine parts.. IMO I wouldnt go with a repco rebuilt again, the one i had in my datto 1600 was bleep , no end of problems.
AnswerID: 50667

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 12:04

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 12:04
yeah but you can also buy from a quality supplier like bursons, or buy cheap shiza from supercheap. as with most spares you pay for quality. Don't forget that the manufacturers ie nissan etc. buy most of their parts from someone else and then throw their 100% margin on top of that.

Nothing wrong with quality aftermarket gear.
FollowupID: 312446

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 12:13

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 12:13
The trick is to FIND the QUALITY aftermarket kit....
FollowupID: 312450

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 14:19

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 14:19
Yeh i agree with the engines truckster, Im not refering to anything that major. Common sence would tell you that you need a good engineer to rebuild an engine.
As for yr comment on the water pump mate, the SMS pump i purchased 3 years ago IS the same one nissan uses, only difference is Nissan stick their logo on the box.

And the uni joints i purchased were made by a very reputable company, but i tossed the boxes so i cant remember their name.
My point is, if you do your homework and find a compromise for less money, You then end up with more options ..eg.. Just bye the part u need and save the rest of the money OR
buy a spare as well, keep it for trips incase u need it, and so what if the part only lasts 100,000kms instead or 200,000kms, for half the price u get half the life, buggered if i know if i will still have my car in 200,000 kms time, could be stolen or sold or written off.
Thats just my opinion :-)
FollowupID: 312470

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 22:02

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 22:02
yea I suffered with the 'cheaper' clutch fan... and mate did with the water pump, apparently somehow the fan doesnt go back on at the same angle or something, dont see how, but mate had issues, and swaped it with a Nissan one and had no more.

yea there are somethings that are cheaper, but when you work it out, if the original part lasts another 10+ years, Id rather pay the more for peace of mind knowing it SHOULD last another 10.....

YMMV....
FollowupID: 312725

Sponsored Links