Off Road Hitches

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 17:56
ThreadID: 11331 Views:1781 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
OK blokes and mechanically minded lassies… on with the thinking caps.

Just returned from a self imposed few days at Straddie. Mongrel of a job but someone’s gotta do it.

Anyway, for all you out there with a Treg or Orac type hitch on your CT, you know where I’m coming from when I say you can bust your freckle hitching up in soft sand or any type of rough terrain, pinch of you know what on concrete but it ends there.

So I’m standing there looking at the rig … sucking on a stub and thinking … there’s gotta be an easier way. Ah ha … mechanical advantage …. Some kind of leverage or system to slowly align the two bits with a minimum of self destructing physical exertion …. bloody sook that I am.

Perhaps a compact block and tackle arrangement such as a double and triple block, only about 30mm in dia such as you would get at a boat shop, or maybe some kind of lever.

At this stage I’m prepared to go with the pulley system, but open to suggestions. Any bright ideas ??

Heading off to the Cape for 4-6 weeks come June/July and the idea of struggling with the procedure every morn leaves me somewhat less than excited.

Over to you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 18:14

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 18:14
Rosco,

There is a small hand winchon the market, I think it is called a Tug-a-long or something like that name. It has a ratchet handle and a wire rope that runs through a set of pullies. Should be available from auto accessory shops. This should do the job

Wayne
AnswerID: 50718

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 19:25

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 19:25
There is a jockey wheel with a hand ratchet thingy that helps you move the CT around availible at trailer accessories places or is that the same thing as you were talking about Wayne ! if so ignore what i just said. Oh Rosco we are heading to the Cape same time ,maybe we will bump into one another, not literaly of course, have a beer and a yarn.

Baz.
FollowupID: 312506

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 18:39

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 18:39
Just do what I do , you line it up then get the missus to reverse it up while you align the height.
AnswerID: 50719

Follow Up By: rolande- Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 20:37

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 20:37
You let your wife reverse while actually standing behind the 4X4! Brave Man! You must have taught her well. SWMBO hates driving forward let alone in reverse
Rolande
FollowupID: 312519

Follow Up By: Hedonist - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 23:22

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 23:22
We use this,but with the roles reversed. Gotta love those 'trust' games...

One refinement - "Dont try and explain which direction you mean when you say 'more to the left' dear, just point, OK?"
FollowupID: 312559

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 20:59

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 20:59
Rosco,

And here I was thinking that you, a salted veteran of four wheel driving, knew it all......oh dear.

Get yourself a tow hitch mirror. Connect to back of truck and angle it so that you can see your hitch in your rear vision mirror.

Use jockey wheel on camper to get correct height of hitch. You might have to get in and out of the truck a couple of times to get it to slide in properly. If you are in sand use low range gears.

Too easy!!

Cheers,
AnswerID: 50752

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 21:13

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 21:13
This is the best solution don't take the bloody trailer off !!!!!!!!! (suggestion from the other half)
SHE said we don't know what were doing., what cheek !!!

BAZ AND CO.
FollowupID: 312525

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 00:08

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 00:08
Lads

Thanks for your responses one and all, I'll address each in turn, if I may.... please bear with me in this regard.

Wayne...Thought about this, but the unit is about 500-600 long .... too big for the job.

Baz... Had one of those yonks ago when I had a Jayco "Off Road Van"...great for concrete and grass lawn, but useless in sand.
P.S. We'll have to touch base closer to the time...would be great to catch up on the track.

Bob and Lex...My Life Insurance doesn't go that far ... besides which I love her dearly ... but she's bloody hopeless in that regard .... tell her I said that and you're dead meat.

Rolande...On the money my boy.

Hedonist...See Rolande above.

Willem...Your first paragraph ... sans the comment after the pause, could argueably be praised by others far more sagacious than I, as the most cognitive statement you have made in quite some time......;-}

Your suggestion works a treat with a conventional towball, but...unless I've missed out somewhere ... which, based on my general trend, is the most likely scenario, I have found this method does not offer up the desired degree of accuracy to insert the mongrel pin ... without resorting to my initial prostetations regarding supreme physical exertion...of which my bank balance seems to be ever diminishing.

Back to Baz...Quite correct ... if you happen to be camping in the middle of Lake Eyre where it is not unreasonable to accept the suggestion by Herself that we find a nice level spot where we can not only align the axle with a contour, but also the longitudinal axis of the vehicle ... we are working in 3 dimensions here lads.

Oh well ......... back to Plan A. I think I've something worked out. If it works I may even consider retaining the services of a Patent Attorney....just think of all the trips I'll be able to afford ..... paid by my royalties from all you fortunate forumites.

AnswerID: 50797

Follow Up By: V8troopie - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 02:09

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 02:09
Rosco, me thinks pulling the trailer up to the tow connection is too hard.

How about having a rod with an eye at one end that can be bolted to the tow hitch. Also, a swivelling eye hole on the front of the trailer.
Method: back car until the trailer hitch is within rod distance.
insert rod into trailer eye and then bolt rod eye to the car tow connection so it is fixed in whatever direction it is aligned.
Get into car and back up, rod will guide trailer hitch to car connection.
Set it up so everything lines up when the trailer swivel eye has slid up the rod the correct distance.

Clear as mud??

Klaus

PS. if you patent that I want a beer or two for the idea ;-0
FollowupID: 312571

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:03

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:03
Klaus

I think I see where you're coming from .... food for thought.

Ta
FollowupID: 312576

Reply By: Diesel 1 - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:15

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:15
G'day Rosco,
I have experienced the same problem a couple of times and have found that the best and easiest way to overcome it was to unbolt the receiver half of the Tregg hitch from the towbar, connect it to the trailer, raise the trailer higher and then reverse until the bolt of the hitch roughly corresponds with the hole in the towbar tongue and then lower into position - not much different to connecting up a ball coupling really. It saves a lot of stuffing around.

Diesel 1
AnswerID: 50811

Reply By: Cobra - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 13:19

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 13:19
Simple solution, chuck the bloody thing and buy a Hyland Hitch. Works the same as a Treg but is much easier to connect up with
AnswerID: 50853

Follow Up By: Member - Penguin (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 13:26

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 13:26
Absolutely agree Cobra. Best thing since sliced bread!
FollowupID: 312604

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 21:49

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 21:49
I agree also. In hindsight that would be the way to go. But it's a bit of a job as the Orac is well and truly welded in place.

May go mad with an angle grinder one day and organise a replacement.
FollowupID: 312716

Sponsored Links