travel time

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 21:17
ThreadID: 11341 Views:1665 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Can somone advise me as to the time it takes roughly to travel between Borroloola and Wollogorang? On the travelmate site it's a distance of 295kms but it says it takes 11.2 hrs to travel! Are the roads THAT bad???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 21:43

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 21:43
Me again Liz......It depends on when the once a year grader has been through. You could probably do that journey in 5 hours depending on the road surface and bulldust patches. There are also 7 Rivers and Creeks to cross and depending on which time of year you are travelling and the amount of traffic on the road these things all slow you down.
AnswerID: 50768

Follow Up By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:29

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:29
5 hours, eh?

would that be a 5 stubby trip or a 10 stubby trip ?
FollowupID: 312546

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:31

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:31
Yep, I generally agree with Willem. However it can take you as long as you like if you want to stop along the way and enjoy the scenery, why rush it ?
If I might give you a reference to a great book to have in your travel library, it is the Lonley Planet publication of "Outback Australia", it is available here in the ExOz Shop.
It will give you all sorts of info + history on many remote areas of Aust and in some detail.
I enjoyed this extract re the Wearyan River which is one of the rivers you will cross - "The Gulf rivers are noteable for their wildlife and the Wearyan is no exception. If you decide to camp here you are likely to lie awake most of the night listening to mosquitoes whine, dingoes howl, curlews scream, fish splash, flying foxes screech and squable, and heavy things go thump in the bush. This exercise in insomnia reaches its climax at dawn , when an army of kookaburras cackles loudly in the trees above your tent"
Sounds wonderful doesn't it ?? I can't wait to get there in Sept.
The LPG book also has phone nos of stations & authorities and describes all the camping & detour opportunities along the tracks.

FollowupID: 312548

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:56

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:56
Hmmmm...

Yes Rick..........it used to be like that. One could measure the distance in how many beers you could drink in the travelling time. But I had such a skinful of the stuff when I was a youngsterup in the Territory that I am now allergic to it. Used to drink so much that it ran out of me eyelids. A shame really. My beer quota for 12 months would be less than a slab.

To answer your question...How many beers can you drink in an hour?

Cheers
FollowupID: 312553

Reply By: Member - Liz- Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:32

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:32
Thanks Willem. Must just be you and me tonight I reckon!
AnswerID: 50783

Reply By: Member - Liz- Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:35

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:35
Thanks Cocka sounds like amust have for my library. Funny how those new replies can appear while I'm typing another. I obviously need to move faster!
AnswerID: 50784

Follow Up By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 23:24

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 23:24
Liz

try les hiddins book " Explore Wild Australia with the Bush Tucker Man".

my few grey cells tell me it may be of value

in terms of presentation, it's almost a coffee table book. IMHO its more that that, it's a valuable resource for the tropics etc

Cheers
FollowupID: 312561

Reply By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 13:11

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 13:11
"5 hours, eh?
would that be a 5 stubby trip or a 10 stubby trip ?"
response by Rick of SA.

I now believe I know why the press is pushing the line that 4WD's are dangerous and roll over easier than cars!

AnswerID: 50851

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 14:19

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 14:19
Liz - We've done some testing and had various technical discussions with the programmers of the MDS system which provides the map data interface to Travel Mate. We were initially looking to purchase the facility to draw the maps for our treks - the problem is, the data is INCORRECT, or MISSING for most dirt roads. So, if you simply enter 2 town names, the route given is not always the shortest distance (ie. which may be the most obvious and practical in real terms along an easy dirt track) but due to the data restrictions show you results for a round about drive all over the world to get there, hence the discrepancies you see in timing and distance.

Just a tip for when you use Travel Mate - never rely on the quick distance calculator as you don't know what route the system is basing the calculations on. Always use the 3rd option box down that will draw the route and give the driving directions for clarification. I've used the system extensively and marvelled at how it is better to break up a trip into specific shorter sections to force the system to calculate the route you want, otherwise you get some very strange results.

Don't get me wrong, its a wonderful system, but beware of the data pitfalls.

Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 50867

Follow Up By: Member - Liz- Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 14:30

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 14:30
Thanks for your tips Michelle. I'll take your advice and try again with the shorter distances put in. While I'm at it, thanks for your invaluable site- I've used it extensively for planning our big trip planned for July!
FollowupID: 312619

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Anne - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 16:38

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 16:38
Hi there Liz,just been through my log sheet from our trip up there last July. We left Kingfisher camp at 0830 arrived at Hellsgate at 1010,left there 1050 arrived at Borooloola at 1520 and we stoped talked, had lunch etc.The road was not too bad, the last 50k was pretty corrigated, on our retutn it was graded and we took us 5 hours, I had started to look around, next time I will take 5 days as it is great country and a lot to see. Hope you have a good trip.
Bruce
AnswerID: 50895

Sponsored Links