Contaminated winch motor

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:22
ThreadID: 11343 Views:2448 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I tried to use my Warn Winch last week for the first time in several months and it was inoperative. I removed it from the vehicle for inspection and the motor was contaminated with water. The damage is irrepairable. I have not done any water crossings so the ingress of water can only be from driving in the Darwin wet season.

This is not good enough for an expensive component designed to be fitted to a 4WD. Can someone tell me if this is likely to be a problem for other brands of electric winches. Is the Ox Hydraulic winch better able to cope with the moisture.

I have taken the winch out and will not buy another if this is going to be an ongoing problem. The amount of time I use it does not justify the cost.

Topend.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:43

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2004 at 22:43
Topend,

The OX winch is fully seald and because it is hydraclic there are no electrics to get wet. The Ox winch is slow but very strong, rated at 10,000lb.

The winch that drowned, was it a high mount 8,000lb/10,000lb or 12,000lb winch. The reason I ask is that the high mounts are more exposed to the weather than the low mounts that are under the bullbar.

You could have had a bad seal on the motor, my winch has been dunked a few times because of river crossings and stills works. I did pull mine down just after I brought it second hand and I did seal it with silicon.

The OX winch are not hard to fit, when ording one just tell them what type of vehicle it is going on and they will supply the hoses to connect to the power steering pump and return.

Wayne
AnswerID: 50787

Follow Up By: Ralph2 - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 22:54

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 22:54
Hi, with the OX winch unless your power steering pump puts out 1500psi and a flow rate of 3.5 us gallons per min, you will not get the rated speed or pulling power.
FollowupID: 312751

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 23:45

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 23:45
Ralph,

I have fitted Ox winches from Hilux to Defenders, and there was heaps of pulling power. The motor was only at idle. I don't think there is a power steering pump that would not power the winch.

Wayne
FollowupID: 312761

Follow Up By: Ralph2 - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 12:15

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 12:15
Wayne Yes any power steering pump probably would run an Ox winch, but unless your pump puts out the required PSI and flow rate you won't get the speed or pulling power that the winch is rated at. How did you test what KG rate you were pulling? The OX winch sold by TJM is a Milemarker winch. I have one and after having a PTO winch on a previous vechile was not impressed by the speed of the OX or by the single line pull results, which ment using a snatch block more times than I though was needed, which in turn slowed the OX even more ( double the pulling power, half the speed). I spoke to TJM about getting the OX to perform to specs, they tried but could'nt give me the answers so I e-mailed Milemarker who gave me the PSI and flow rates need to run the OX to winching capacity (Kgs) and winching speed (Mts/min)
FollowupID: 313088

Reply By: Graeme- Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:18

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:18
Topend,
I had a similar problem after a trip to Cape York, and was told you have to run the winch after a water crossing to heat the motor which will dry it out. TJM in Sydney were very good as they said the solenoids had burnt out and offered half the cost of the job under warranty. They advised me to pull the winch rope out every 2-4 weeks and rewind which will ensure the grease is circulated and solenoids are kept working. Since then I have had no more problems.
When they pulled the winch down, they found the grease inside had gone solid, so that I could not even turn the release handle to unwind the rope, which they said was due to going thru creeks and not drying it out. I guess it is like everything mechanical, we simply have to test these things on a regular basis.Hope this helps.
Graeme
AnswerID: 50813

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:59

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:59
Its a common issue.

People fit winches, then just leave them, never ever touching them, servicing them, until they are needed...

How many years was it in the truck all up?
How many times was it serviced in that time?
Could the damage in there have been done in 7 mths? or over a period of years eg: would have been seen during a service at sometime???

They are all the same All brands, all models NEED SERVICING from time to time...

YMMV
AnswerID: 50817

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 23:35

Thursday, Mar 18, 2004 at 23:35
My Toyo Dealer recommended the Ox winch for the reason that it is hydraulic and has no electrics to stuff up. Said they are a few dollars more but they are much more reliable. Based on what Truckster said then it is just as likely that if you don't touch it for months then an electric one may let you down when you need it most.

Interested in comments from users of these units.

StevenL
AnswerID: 50995

Reply By: Topend - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 07:46

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 07:46
Thanks to everyone who has replied. The vehicle is about two and a half years old and the winch has been there since new. It's a Warn XD 9000lb mounted behind the bullbar. I know now after reading other forums and talking to ARB / TJM that I should have operated it once a month. I have not had it serviced as I have been told that an indication of needing a service is the engage/disengage lever will start to get stiff. Mine was fine.

If the grease can go hard (which has not happened to mine) maybe Warn should look at using another type of grease. The grease in my boat trailer bearings doesn't go hard after sitting for a few months and it sees more water. These units should come standard fully sealed and have a breather pipe fitted.

I'm tossing up whether to just replace the motor at $500 to $600 or to get a Ox 10000lb electric winch which cost $1540 at the moment. Is the Ox a better winch than the Warn? Either way I will try to waterproof it a fit a breather.

Topend.
AnswerID: 51011

Follow Up By: Michael_FNQ - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 22:05

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 22:05
The OX does not work real well with a motor not running. The electric may not run for long but it could be enough to get you out of trouble. The OX uses electric solenoids to activate and at a guess they would not like water either.
FollowupID: 312862

Sponsored Links