condition of Hunt oil road & David Carnegie road

Submitted: Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1136 Views:2271 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Planning a trip up the connie sue and then further north for June/July 2002. Talk of the bad condition of the the Gunbarrel east of Mungilli Claypan makes me think of maybe accessing the Gunbarrel from the Great Central Road via either the Hunt oil road or the David Carnegie Road (Eagle Highway). Anyone done it or have any info - conditions, access (I have gunbarrel permits), security. Comments much appreciated.
GregC
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil B - Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 17, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Greg
I haven't travelled the Gunbarrel lately but the regular traffic it receives ensures that it is clear of vegetation, one can travel at reasonable speeds and it is clearly defined.
The Getaway4wd club WA of which I am a member travelled up the Hunt Oil Rd (HOR) west along the Gunbarrel and down the David Carnegie Rd (DCR) in early May 2002.
It took us slightly over 2 days to do the HOR - average speed 15 to 20 kph. It was overgrown and washed out in places. In places and for considerable streches the spinifex was over bonnet height and the track hard to follow.
It took us 1.5 days to do the DCR. It wasn't as rough and overgrown as the HOR but was still slow going. Although rough etc both tracks were passable, scenery and associated history interesting.
I would not recommend trailers on the HOR. I would say no more than 3 or 4 groups/vehicles use the HOR in any one year.
Use the Hema SW desert map as a guide it seems the most accurate.
All the best
AnswerID: 3608

Follow Up By: Greg - Saturday, May 18, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 18, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for the info Phil - very useful. We don't have trailers so that's not a problem. Is there much sand about - dunes and soft in places as in the Simpson? Chances of getting bogged high or low?
The reason we were looking at these two alternatives is because of the bad press the Gunbarrel is getting at the moment - corrugations etc outside Wiluna Shire district. Hour anfter hour of corrugations drive me crazy!!! Any of your club members able to commment?
Again greatly applreciate your assistance.
Greg
FollowupID: 1481

Reply By: Phil B - Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Greg
Corro's are not my favourite either. Sand on either track will not be a problem at all. Your main problem will be washouts, rocky outcrops and over bonnet height spinifex. Don't forget a spinifex screen - I could have built mallee fowl nest with what I regularily removed fom my vehicle.
You shouldn't get bogged but you may get hung up. At times the washouts are that deep you will need to deviate off the main track on both the HOR and the DCR.
Generally you will travel much faster on the DCR than the HOR. The worst part of the DCR is the northen end.
You will not need any Aboriginal access permits for both these tracks, however depending on how you enter and leave the area you may need permits -if unsure follow up with Aboriginal Affairs in Perth visa the web.
I am not sure how we can get in touch with each other I could email you the trip report that is almost finished - it may help.
I also have GPS points and details on John Forest's Aleaxnder Springs and Camp 59 if you are interested. regards Phil
AnswerID: 3718

Follow Up By: Greg - Wednesday, May 22, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 22, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks again Phil, I'd appreciate any data you've got. Have your travels taken in the Connie Sue? We'll be on it to get to Warburton - particulalry any preferred campsite?
My email is gcartan@learncon.com.au; lets hope I don't get a rash of junk mail form any email address thiefs????
GregC
FollowupID: 1573

Sponsored Links