Tray top camper

Submitted: Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 01:09
ThreadID: 11379 Views:4522 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hey Everybody,
I've recently started planning a trip around the country with my wife and was stoked when I found this site. Already found some answers I was looking for.

Does anyone know where I can get a camper on a canvas canopy to fit on the tray of a hilux? I'm in Perth. I'm guessing it will have to be a custom job.

Or can anyone who's used this type of setup share their thoughts.

Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 09:03

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 09:03
Blair, it is up to you a lot in what you are prepared to spend.

I don't know much about canvat canopies but believe they may be 3k-4k. Tray top campers begin at about 6k-7k and go up to above 10k depending on what is provided in the system you buy.

I have a service box and have an Oztent just clip on the top of it. It has made a very fast setup for camping and getting ready to eat and sleep at the end of the day. We were told in a caravan park last week by a fellow who went off to cook his noodles and were half way through our food preparation. He got a shock he had neighbours! It is quick to get going again too. Traytoppers are not lightweight though - about 350 kg empty I think for mine.
AnswerID: 51025

Reply By: Member - Anne - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 09:04

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 09:04
Hi Blair,

We have a Challenge campertrailer, so that it isn't much use to you, but we have friends who have done many thousands of kms around the country with a Carry Me Camper, which is on the back of a Troopie. I think the canvas comes from Candys of Tintinara, but I think the box is actually made by Challenge here in Adelaide. It would be worth giving them a ring on 0412 821221. We have found Challenge very helpful in terms of fitting things the way you want them. Give them a try.
Hope this helps
Anne
AnswerID: 51026

Reply By: Dunedigger - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 15:42

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 15:42
Hi,

We have a Seeker Camper. Love it !
Opens up to the equilivant of a 3.5 metre Caravan .
Cost about $16,000 but for that you get the fridge 3 way, 3 burner stove and even the kitchen sink all built in. 60 litre watertank and losts of cuppord space Even room for the dunny.

We have just returned forom the Victorian High Country and not a problem.

The legs are a bit flimsy and I have had to replace then with heavier duty ones.
I have also made a few other improvements if anyone is interested, just reply
See http://www.trayon.com/seeker.htm for more info . Thay are located in just north of Brisbane

Dunedigger
AnswerID: 51061

Reply By: dingdong - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 21:29

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 21:29
Hi Blair
We have what I condsider the ultimate setup on a trayback rodeo we lived out of it for 4.5 months in 2000 . Made the whole lot myself except for canvas work. One fantastic feature is it does not let dust in . Did 25,500 ks & with no cleaning , bed can be remade from ground . We will be in Perth over easter so if you would like to email me direct you could meet with us to view if interested . My email is dingdong@modnet.com.au

Cheers dingdong Whiskey 746
AnswerID: 51102

Follow Up By: Patsy - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 07:04

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 07:04
Check out www.trayon.com
We bought one 2 1/2 years ago and our travelling partners/neighbours liked it so much that they have done away with their camp trailer and purchased one for themselves.
Cheers
Patsy
FollowupID: 313052

Sponsored Links