Danoz cyrovac machine

Submitted: Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 12:11
ThreadID: 11384 Views:3913 Replies:10 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I notice from the archive a mixed reaction to the Danoz cryovac machine - but these comments were mostly from short term use and back in early 2003. Has anyone actually had any long term experience with one and has comments on expense, reliability and effectiveness.

Thanks

Peter

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan- Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 13:26

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 13:26
Peter, from what I recall there was a lot of negative comment as there are cheaper and just as effective ways of getting the air out of freezer bags.
I use the barrel of an old Biro, suck the air out and twist the bag around, tie it up. Seems to work as I've never had a complaint from the cook, and she'd notice if anything was wrong with the tucker.
Alan.
AnswerID: 51049

Follow Up By: Alex H - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 20:53

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 20:53
as an alternative to sucking the air out yourself, try using a vacuum cleaner - it shouldn't be too hard to make a fittting to vac-seal the bags
Cheers,
Alex.
FollowupID: 312856

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 12:27

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 12:27
Alex, after squeezing most of the air out, there's not much for the lungs to do anyway. Unless you're doing tons of stuff I can't see the point of a dedicated machine or even the vac. to do it for you.
See you in the bush.
A.
FollowupID: 313092

Reply By: Davoe - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 13:45

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 13:45
probaly off the subject a bit but as an ex butcher we would get people in wanting meat cryovacced because the meat wasnt going to be refridgerated THIS IS A DEFINITE NO NO. The biggest nasty of all botulism grows anaerobically (without air) and without psuedamonis (aerobic bacteria that makes your meat slimey and tells you not to eat it) could lead to a nasty situation. cryovacced meat should always be refridgerated/frozen as normal. This is why canned products are heat treated to a level sufficient to kill 120% of all clostridium botulinum spores
AnswerID: 51051

Follow Up By: rolande- Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 20:16

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 20:16
Technical info

121 degrees Celcius for 15 minutes results in a 10 D reduction of Clostridium botulinum, considered to be sterile. If you can handle canned or dried food instead of fresh meat its much cheaper to carry / store. If taking meat, cook in first few days of trip or when bought. Saves spending $$$ of cryovac machines which are little more than a method of selling the bags. We use about 6,000 bags per day on an industrial cryovac machine, bags worth a few cents each! Much better to get the butcher to do it if you must, meat should be less contaminated to start with, or freeze on the foam tray if bought from the supermarket, will be as good as the Danoz machine
Rolande
FollowupID: 312853

Reply By: Member - Grinner - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 14:48

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 14:48
I've had mine for probably 18 mths now, and I'm overall happy with it. A couple of things, 1. The bags are expensive, because of this I tend to only use it for meat etc and only when I go camping, 2. They claim that the bags are resealable, but I've found that after the second use of the bag, the resealing is a bit hit and miss, 3. Avoid putting squashy foods like sausages in it, unless you like flat sausages.

Grinner
AnswerID: 51056

Reply By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 15:28

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 15:28
We've had one for about 18 months as well, still works well, we use it for taking meat camping, and for buying bulk packs of meat when we see them on special and packing them into smaller portions and throwing into the freezer, like Grinner said, the bags are expensive, so it really isnt something we use everyday. I have used it for a few things in the "Tardis" as my wife calls it.....(it started out as a bum bag with a few emerg items, and grew into a backpack with epirb, handheld UHF etc) , but its great for keeping small items totaly waterproof.
AnswerID: 51060

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 15:49

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 15:49
Why bother just get the butcher to do it , it's free ( well mine is ).
AnswerID: 51065

Reply By: Pesty - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 18:10

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 18:10
Peter have a 110L waeco which has large freezer so we break meat into meal sizes and chuck it in the freeezer and take it out when we want it. Alway a couple of meals in there 24/7 just in case we get hungry anywhere, Have kept meat in there for months, no probs.

Steve
AnswerID: 51078

Reply By: Richard & Leonie - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 18:27

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 18:27
We have had a Danoz one for about 18 months. Have only used it for camping and those times we might buy bulk meat. It works OK. I am not sure about the straw and suck method. If you can suck that well you might have your own float at the Mardi Gras. The machine really collapses the bag. That is why I recommend to freeze meat beforehand so try and eliminate the blood being sucked out. I think it was Melissa who gave that tip first up. As far as expense is concerned I have not seen the prices of other manufactuers cryovac bags so I do not know if they are expensive or not. (Danoz is not the only supplier . I saw some at the Camping show in Sydney last year.) We are still using a roll we bought when we bought the machine and I think it cost $70. We have tried washing the bags after use and reusing them and as others say it is a bit of hit and miss as far as sealing is concerned. Shall not bother in future. Its a pain in the neck when a bag leaks and deposits blood in the fridge. The machine are light enough to throw into the back of the car and if you carry an extention lead we would expect you could use it on campsites where power is available or if you have a big enough inverter you could do it anywhere. I have never asked the butcher to do it for us. Must try that sometime.
Regards
AnswerID: 51079

Follow Up By: peterjday - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 22:22

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 22:22
Thanks everyone for your comments.

However a special thanks to those people who actually have the units and provided feedback. That is what I really wanted to know - they seem to be reliable enough and wont break after the first 6 weeks use!

I am not really that interested in sucking on straw - memories of the first taste of petrol when you are getting a syphon going!!! If I wanted to do that I would use my little 12 volt air bed blower/sucker. And I have tried vacuum storage bags and they never seal properly - I understand the Danoz put a heat seam on the bag to seal it. I think the proper sealing is probably more important than the sucking/vacuuming.

Have you tried sealing normal plastic bags other than Danoz???

Thanks

Peter
FollowupID: 312863

Reply By: brianm - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 20:13

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 20:13
Hi Peter
I have a RABER (Italian) food vac. I am happy with it.Why worry about the cost
of bags if you buy one.
My other half has a hand vacuum pump, cost less than $10 we still use it.
The address on it is McCulloch Products ltd.PO Box 100-990. Auckland 10. NZ.
She says that you can get them in Myers, WA. WAHS also wa.
hope this helps.
AnswerID: 51091

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 10:55

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 10:55
50c per packet for the butcher to do it. Meat only of course.
cheers
Oskar
AnswerID: 51148

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 17:44

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 17:44
These machines were tested, along with several other TV Special "wonder gadgets" in the Readers Digest. Interestingly, they gave them a very big "thumbs up". saying that they vacuum sealed fresh deli ham, & that it was still fresh 3 months later, with normal refrigeration!
AnswerID: 51183

Sponsored Links