Twins first 4x4 expedition

Submitted: Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 19:53
ThreadID: 11390 Views:1910 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, to those that remember, my other half gave birth to twins nearly five months ago (l know it has gone quick) after a lot of trouble during the pregnancy, anyway Tommy and Mitch are thriving, two real little characters and they had their first taste of 4x4 driving last weekend. We headed down to the Otways on the Great Ocean Road (Vic) and did they have an adventure, it started of as a family walk through the rain forest canopy on an elevated walking trail with us and forum member Kim(mr) who happens to be a childhood mate and his finacee Sarah who is my sister-in-law. Anyway we went down one track that was supposed to be a tourist 4x4 track, but after a couple of very challanging obstacle we decided we were not turning back beause it could not get any werse, well it snow balled fron there, it did get werse and kept getting werse, but we had gone too far and had to keep going. To cut a long story short at about 2am we abandened Kims mighty 3L patrol and all climbed into the ever reliable 80 series cruiser, but after another hour of getting bogged constantly we decided it would be best if we give up and try again in the morning as we had plenty of food, water and bottle for the boys and a bottle warmer that plugged into the cigerette lighter. So the cruiser turned into an eight birth cabin with it runnig all night with the heater on. Turns out the next day the end of the track was only about 2k's and three easy bog holes away, not a bad trip for there first, but l am glad it is over. As they say though, alls well that ends well!!

ps. we eventually went back for the patrol and got it out. To those who care, the patrol is a 2000 GU and my cruiser is an 80 series standard 91, both deisel, we filled them both in Dalesford and then again in Apollo bay, approx 200k and the cruiser used 4.7 liters less than the patrol!!!!!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Eric - Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 21:10

Friday, Mar 19, 2004 at 21:10
I am still Laughing Stuart , Well done on getting the twins out so soon . I am sorry to hear that the GU was stuck , I hope this dosn't deture Kim & Sarah from coming out again . Kim , get those emuddies on mate , I can get you a wild set of muddies cheap lol . Might be a idea , I am sick of my BFG A/T also lol . Hope to see out again soon . You guys missed a fun filled adventure in Toolangi also , see post toolangi day trip . I was chatting to a mate a week ago about heading to the Ottways . You now have me eager to go sooner . I hope you guys can all make it to Wombat for the Anzac weekend .
AnswerID: 51100

Follow Up By: Stuart - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 07:06

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 07:06
The wombat is just around the corner for us so l do not think it will be a problem, and in deffence of Kims driving abilities??, it was the diff that kept getting caught up, so what can you do except spend more money and put bigger tyres on it or buy a cruiser! (l had to slip that one in!!)
FollowupID: 312962

Reply By: rolande- Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 06:57

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 06:57
Which "tourist road" did you drive down, has not been very wet down here so would not expect this type of difficulty this time of year
Rolande
AnswerID: 51348

Follow Up By: Stuart - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 17:49

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 17:49
I do not know the name of it, but l am quiet sure our navigator (l won't mention your name hear-ok Kim)took a wrong turn and the track had more water than we have seen for a long time!
FollowupID: 313153

Sponsored Links