Camping near Newman, WA

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 17:17
ThreadID: 11412 Views:10329 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We're thinking of spending a bit of time around Newman exploring and relaxing around the numerous waterholes and attractions nearby. I'm having trouble finding detailed info on them and am particularly interested to know whether it is possible to camp at any of them. If so what facilities, if any, are there? Also be interested in any other good, free campsites in the area. Note that we are fully self contained and won't be doing Karajini this trip so no info required on that.

:o) Melissa
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: macca - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 09:55

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 09:55
Hi Melissa,
Great to see your "up an about" again and heading off with your youngun already. Cant answer your post just needed to say its great that you are heading out again with the new crewman. :-)
AnswerID: 51240

Reply By: Phil S - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:39

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:39
Sorry - This is not about your question - but that you have camprite TL8 camper. We have seen them and were impressed, but it seems hard to get advice other than thru dealer. Can you comment on the camper, what works well / bad. Family is 2 adults and one 5 year old and we want something for Kimberley trip. thx Phil
AnswerID: 51298

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 13:21

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 13:21
Hi Phil,

Had typed out a long reply for you but lost it due to a sumission error #@&%^(*!!!! Anyway, suggest you ahve a look out our website (URL below) and email me from there if you want some more info and pics. Love our Camprite!

FollowupID: 313297

Reply By: Wayne from the Pilbara - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 22:07

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 22:07
Melissa

The visitor centre in Newman has "mud maps" of the local waterholes, gorges etc. I cant recall whether you can camp at them or not, but I'm sure that they will be able to help you out.

We have some of these which I could scan and email to you if you have trouble getting hold of them.

Wayne
Cheers

Wayne

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 51321

Follow Up By: Pluto - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 21:24

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 21:24
Wayne & Melissa,

I have the mud map in front of me. According to it, there is no camping at Weeli Wolli. Otherwise there seem to be no restrictions.

I hope to be heading up there around July/August. Maybe we'll cross paths.

Pluto
FollowupID: 313194

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 14:19

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 14:19
Thanks Guys! I'll give the tourist bureau a ring and see if they can send me something.

FollowupID: 313304

Reply By: sensei - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 15:13

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 15:13
Hi Mel,
I live in Newman and still havent seen half of what is to offer up here, I've only had my own 4wd/cav trailer for 2 years but have been out with others. I did recently camp at Kalgans Pool which is a great little place for kids with the pool. The water is quite good due to the recent rains in this area but hasnt rained for some time now. Eagle rock falls is also very nice but stay away from Stuarts pool unless you have a 4wd that has a 10"lift, brother inlaw was out there and did some damage to his 4by.
Most water holes dont have any facilities at all so I guess its dig the deep hole for ya loo and plenty of supplies. Stay away from the dam area in the evening, to many mozzies. If you do go there during daylight hours please make sure all the family has shoes on, the local population if you get my drift often camp there and leave broken glass everywhere.
It would help to check the information centre when you hit town, grab maps and check on the road conditions etc.
I did check out your website some time ago with regards to kids needs on camping trips, got some very nice tips. (love the receipes too)I did see that you have been up this way before and beit a little bad as you and hubby complained about the ATM's being closed..haha.dam country towns. Thanks for the tips.
Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 51415

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 13:19

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 13:19
Thanks! Always good to get some local info. Re: ATM's being closed...biggest problem was that we unknowingly arrived on a local public holiday (race weekend) and everything was shut. Since we'd planned to re-stock in Newman this threw a spanner in the works. Still, Greg & I are both country kids so we know how that goes LOL>

FollowupID: 313296

Reply By: Aaron - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 00:23

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 00:23
Have you had a look at those free camping books for Northern WA, we used it over christmas and some of them were really good. Have you been to Karajini before? If you have you would understand why im asking why your not going. We went in early feb this year and i want to be there now, loved it so much.

regards,
Aaron
AnswerID: 51512

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 11:37

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 11:37
Hi Aaron,

Yes I've looked at a couple of free camping books but neither of mine seem to cover that area. Agree with you re Karajini. We visited in 2001 and loved it. Actually, I'm totally in love with the entire Pilbara region including the coastal area. Unfortunately, time is limited though and we have decided to concetrate on seeing what we've missed on previous trips so Karajini will miss out this time around.

FollowupID: 313282

Reply By: Aaron - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 23:12

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 23:12
The book im talking about is the orange northan WA book and its brother is the blue book for southern WA. I dont have it in front of me so i dont know if there is anywhere around newman?I hope everything goes well, i loved it up there,

Aaron
AnswerID: 51692

Sponsored Links