Touring Oz off the beaten track

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 19:32
ThreadID: 11416 Views:2287 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Oz Nomads - I am seeking more travellers tales about what was good or bad about your choice of off road caravan or 4wd camper.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lynn2 - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 19:43

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 19:43
Hi,

What was good about our off road caravan? Creature comforts, no need to set up, everything on hand so we could pull over anytime and eat etc very easily, ability to have all our belongings easily accessible i.e. no suitcases etc. We could also have air con for those times we had power. A proper mattress, more space, towed like a dream (even over corrugations, sand and rock).

We had previously hired a Kymberley 4wd camper. Had fun, but . . . . lots of setting up if it was raining (and putting down in the rain). No creature comforts, etc.
AnswerID: 51194

Reply By: Member - Anne - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 11:29

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 11:29
Hi Motherhen,

We are really happy with our offroad campertrailer. It tows behind our troopie as if it isn't there, mainly because it is pretty light, which makes it easier to take wherever we want to go. In terms of creature comforts: we have a kitchen we can access very easily, so boiling the billy isn't a problem, we chose to get rid of the foam mattress and we have a proper innerspring mattress with sheets and a doona, and we keep our clothes in storage boxes which are just as easy to access as if they were in a drawer. In terms of setting up and putting down, we noticed that it took us the same length of time to set up and be sitting down with a drink as it did most of the caravanners. My other half actually timed them! If it is raining (which happened on 2 days in 9 weeks) it is a bit unpleasant, but not a real drama. Campertrailers are also significantly cheaper than caravans (unless you buy top of the range).
We are about to head off again for 6 months this time, and I can't wait!
Happy travels
Anne
AnswerID: 51247

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 14:38

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 14:38
Hi Motherhen,

First a general comment in favour of 4wd campers:
- can access more out-of-the-way places than than with a 4wd caravan
- lighter, smaller and easier to tow than a caravan

More specifically, good points about our off-road camper are:
- very comfortable with large double bed, 2 singles, "living area", bench seating etc all off the ground. Swing-out kitchen is easily accessible (great for roadside stops) and makes meal preparation, cooking and clean-up easy. Plenty of storage. Also have water tanks (110L), 4 x j/can and 2 x gas cylinders on board.
- all beds remain made-up between stops.
- Basic set-up for overnight stopover literally 5 minutes. Add another 15min if we need to put the awning up (usually only ever if staying put for 2-3 nights or longer)
- Inside "living area" flanked by bench seating and comfortably accommodates folding table so if weather is bad and we don't want to put the awning up we can still eat and relax inside in comfort.

Bad points...only one I can think of is heavy drawbar weight but this would be nothing compared to a caravan.

Have a look at my web-site for more info if you're interested.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 51260

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 18:04

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 18:04
We have a kimberly Kamper & love it, easy to set up, easy access to every thing & the best feature is Lex would'nt go camping without it so if I want to go see OZ I had to get 1.
AnswerID: 51273

Sponsored Links