What AVERAGE speed should I use?

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 21:16
ThreadID: 11417 Views:2187 Replies:10 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I am leaving on a trip in June for 6 weeks with a couple of others (all 4x4) and am setting up some excel spreadsheets to record some of the data that will be of interest to others upon my return. Things such as: distance travelled, fuel useage, et etc.

The plan is:
syd - Melb
Melb - Adelaide
Adelaide - Alice
Alice - Tanami
Tanami - Fitzroy
Fitzroy - Gibb River
Gigg River - Wyndham
Wyndham - Katherine
Katherine - Darwin
Darwin - and eventually end up at Karumba and I will possibly leave the group here and carry on to "The Tip" :-) Havent discussed this with the trip leader yet, so dont tell him ok (Richard, if you read this before I speak to you, go easy on me ..ok? :-))
Cape - Sydney.

Plus lots of other stuff in between :-)

My question is?

Based on the bit of itinerary I have posted what figure would you suggest I use as an AVERAGE SPEED? Discount the Tanami part....that will have its own figure. Base it on a fully laden 100 series, turbo diesel (weight 3.5T) driving to all the legal speeds, making 'normla' stops under average conditions etc

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 21:53

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 21:53
P.S

Dont worry about the 'deliberate' spelling mistakes that I have left in my above post. If you find them then please feel free to accept the prize for being the first :-))))

I will however correct the "Gigg River" to read the " GIBB River" before you all go racing off for your maps to find this new location :-))

Actually dosent it just P*** you off when you:

1) do a post and when you read it you see all the mistakes and
2) when, instaed of answering the post all you get is "your spelling is crap...nah- nah-nee- nah nah" :-)

I put it down to the 'poke and hunt' method of typing I use wherby I have to watch the keyboard and not the screen...anyway thats my story and I'm sticking to it :-)
AnswerID: 51205

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 21:56

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 21:56
Why and what is the purpose of the question.....what do you aim to achieve?
AnswerID: 51208

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:03

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:03
It is a peice of info that can be used to ROUGHLY claculate lots of AVERAGE info...such as...how long will it take me to travel from point "A" to point "B"...and ROUGHLY how much fuel I MIGHT use...how long the trip MIGHT, PERHAPS, POSSIBLY take....lots of stuff...
FollowupID: 312928

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:32

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:32
OK Basically if you can't work it out for yourself then..........If you are in a convoy then you will have to stick to the average convoy speed....boring......no speed limits on the open road in the Territory.....so there you can up your average by overtaking the trip leader and speeding along at whatever your Tojo is capable of. Lots of bitumen driving...could have done it in a Falcon or a Commodore. Sounds like an awful lot of driving and not much time to relax and do some sightseeing. Anyway you will be keeping the fuel companies happy.
FollowupID: 312937

Reply By: Lyds - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:00

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:00
I reckon to go that far in that time you'd want to be doing the speed limit where you have to, and around 200km/hr on unrestricted roads :-)

If you don't have a detailed plan already, I strongly recommend you get someone like Great Divide Tours (see Business Search) draw up an itinery for you - you'll get all that info and more (time, distance, sights, accomm, what maps etc). Its not expensive compared to everything else you have to spend on, and even better value if you split the cost with your fellow travellers.

AnswerID: 51209

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:08

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:08
The trip leader has a "detailed plan already" (I am not the trip leader) and he has done this trip 4 times before, probably has all this info as well....this is for my information...just playing with spreadsheets...having fun....come on guys...just looking for some AVERAGE data here....relax :-)))
FollowupID: 312929

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:16

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:16
Hmm.....

My quick eyeball of the map tels me that your trip is about 10,000km not includiding any side trips.

Given 6 weeks that is 1,666 kms per week or 238 kms per day. Every day!

I don't doubt this is acheiveable but it does sound like a bit of a rush. Especially if you intend to take the 4WD tracks and stay off the highways.

Given an avg speed in all terrain types of 60-70 km/h that is about 4 hours travelling every day. Every day that you stay somewhere the travelling time you spend driving on the rest of the days goes up.

Just my thoughts.

Steven
AnswerID: 51213

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:28

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:28
StevenL

Thanks for the reply...appreciate it.

You are spot on, we will be on highways almost entirely except for Tanami.

It will be a bit of a rushed trip...I will probably do most of it again at a later date as I intend spending the next 12 years travelling around Oz on my own. I am happy to be travelling with someone who has done it before and using the experience to be able to gauge my own trips later and just see Oz :-)

FollowupID: 312934

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:48

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:48
238k's a day shouldnt be hard, remembering you will have some days where you dont travel anywhere...

even if the conditions only allow 40kph, that will drag it upto around 400ks a day, which in itself shouldnt be hard...

good thinkin on the travellin with someone who has done it first time, catch all the good bits, then come back do em again.
FollowupID: 312941

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:58

Saturday, Mar 20, 2004 at 22:58
Truckster

Yeah that is my thinking exactly.

I transferred over here on a 3 year contract to run a company in Sydney and the three years are up in April 2004.
They have asked me to sign for another 3 years but I have said "No, lets do it year by year"
I reckon I will take one more year to cover the rest of NSW :-) and then I am out of here.
This 6 week trip will be my first serious holiday since coming here, and my first 'self drive' into the other states (other than crossing into Victoria a few months ago) and I very much intended it to be a worldwind tour to 'see the sights and as you say 'catch all the good bits, then come back do em again'

FollowupID: 312944

Reply By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 02:33

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 02:33
Hi Kiwi,
Hope you were not serious when you classed the Gibb River road as a ' highway' !
Well put it this way , I do hope they have just graded it when you come by, sometimes then it can be sort of like a dirt highway.
I honestly don't see how you can pre plan an average speed, when you can't pre plan the road condition on the dirt roads.
Just take it as it comes and enjoy your holiday.
cheers, Anne
AnswerID: 51225

Reply By: Mad Dog Morgan (Victoria) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 12:06

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 12:06
No probs KiwiAngler, don't know why others have a problem with this. I suggest your average speed will be 85 kph
AnswerID: 51249

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 12:19

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 12:19
As Anne said how can you work out an average speed if you do not know the road conditions. Methinks he will be doing around 50-60km average. LIke you might be abke to do a 100km run on the bitumen in 50 minutes and then the next 100km run on a badly corrugated road in 120 minutes. It is all a silly hypothesis.
FollowupID: 312981

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Victoria) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 12:39

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 12:39
I would have thought it would be a bit higher than that Willem, that route is mostly high speed seal isn't it. There's a lot of silly stuff on here but it keeps us amused doesn't it :)
Relax

FollowupID: 312982

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 15:24

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 15:24
FINALLY A STRAIGHT ANSWER!!!

Thanks Mad Dog, StevenL and Truckster :-)

Sheeze I am almost regretting asking the question.

Wasnt looking for:

critiques of the trip plan,
"Why and what is the purpose of the question",
whether or not I "...could have done it in a Falcon or a Commodore".
If I end up "....keeping the fuel companies happy" so be it, I came here to see Ozzie and I can afford it.
What is the point of travelling those journeys if you only look at the highways?...because I havent seen them!
To someone who has NEVER driven to Melbourne or Adelaide even that can be interesting, highway or not.....remember when as a child you thought even the simplist things in life were fun...I still do.

ALL I wanted was a rough idea of average speeds...everyone of you does this mental calculation when you decide to drive from home to your great aunts house for sunday lunch so that you know when you should depart and when you can suggest that great aunt Isabel takes the sunday chook out of the oven...why my question raised so many negative responses is beyond me...to the ones that just took it for what it was "Thank you"

When I get back from what I reckon will be an amazing trip of 6 weeks that will cover a LOT of Australia I will make a point of posting to all.... MY AVERAGE SPEED! :-)))

I am happy to consider the question closed with this my final thought

"In life, your cup can be either 1/2 full or 1/2 empty, you choose"

I have :-)
FollowupID: 312991

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Victoria) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 16:01

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 16:01
Have a good trip. It sounds like a walk in the park after my 11,000K's in 3 weeks. I saw heaps and loved every minute of it, sure beats staying at home thinking about doing it.
FollowupID: 312992

Follow Up By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 18:06

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 18:06
I have to agree with Mad Dog that any travelling at all is better than just sitting here thinking about it, as for your average speed can we have a pool?....I will put my guess in at 74.2 kph
FollowupID: 312998

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:27

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 20:27
Kiwiangler

"In life, your cup can be either 1/2 full or 1/2 empty, you choose"

I would substitute the word CUP with the word BRAIN

Enjoy the race :-)

FollowupID: 313020

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 13:41

Sunday, Mar 21, 2004 at 13:41
Kiwiangler,

Not really sure what you expect to see on your trips between three of the state capitals you list there. Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide I would have guessed you had a lot of options. Princes Highway, Hume, Western and or Great Ocean Road. You have been pretty unspecific. What is the point of travelling those journeys if you only look at the highways?
AnswerID: 51257

Reply By: Well 55 - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 07:58

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 07:58
I find that travelling with a group the av. speed is a lot lower than a single vehicle.

Take into account stops for morning tea, lunch and a 1600 stop to set up camp. Then for group to get on the road next morning, there is always one to hold you up.

Some years ogo I lead a group to QLD, NT & WA and set a 0800 start, at best we got away at 20 past, in the end the slow mob said the only way they could get on the road by 8 was to have their breakfast the night before. By the end of a 7 week trip we got away by the start time for that day.

Fuel usage can by checked on the trip log on this site and is a very good guide.
AnswerID: 51351

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:11

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:11
On bitumen wHEN i TRAVEL BY MYSELF i CAN AVERAGE 100 KPH, SO cANBERRA TO pERTH IS 36 HOURs plus a six hour sleep along the way. Mt Isa to Canberra is 25 hours with no sleep.
Travelling as a group is another matter. People want to stop for fuel because they are running low. When they have fuelled its time to roll and someone else is still waiting for a burger. It takes little effort to make a fuel stop a 45 mi9nute break. Then at the next road house the ones who didn't fuel last time want to stop. It doesnt take long before you're stopping at every bloody petrol pump you pass. In fact you can spend as much time on roadhouse aprons as you do on the bitumen.
The only way around this is to have a designated leader who can say "every one stop and fuel here, we leave in 15 minutes" and then hustle them into their vehicles and get back on the road quickly. UHF is essential for conveying instructions.
On dirt roads like the Tanami /Plenty you can generally average 80 kph. Of course you can go faster, like many who don't own the vehicle they drive do, but expect stops for vehicle damage.
On rougher tracks such as Anne Beadell you can average around 40 kph
AnswerID: 51357

Reply By: Davoe - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 15:44

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 15:44
When I travell I dont think of it in terms of average speed but where I want to be by what time. So when planning I write down where I will be for each day and make sure I get there (safety permiting zzzz) even if it involves driving till late or doing a quick visitm at a place I Intended to be at longer I also plan to get back home 2 days earlier so these days can be used up for vehicle delays or anything. My last trip was Kimberlys-topend red centre then great central highway home which I thought was 10,000k but turned into 14000k in 6 weeks
AnswerID: 51418

Sponsored Links