Brown Davis Fuel Tanks

Submitted: Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 13:17
ThreadID: 11456 Views:20444 Replies:11 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
My mate and I bought Long Range Fuel Tanks from Brown Davis a few years ago.

My mate did the Canning and both his tanks split - he had them welded at a station somewhere.

I've heard of these Tanks have a bit of a bad reputation for spliting. IS this true - or was my mates experience a once off?

I'm about to head of for an around OZ tour - Should I trust my tank???
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Leroy - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 13:54

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 13:54
There's a LR tank thread further down the list.

Leroy
AnswerID: 51402

Reply By: Roachie - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 14:18

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 14:18
I had a Brown Davis tank in my old GQ and it developed a small split on the belly side, right where one of the internal baffles was located.
I now have a GU with a Long Ranger tank and it's going okay and has done a lot of hard trips over corrogations etc. I don't think I'd be getting another Brown Davis jobbie, but am happy (so far) with Long Ranger.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 51406

Reply By: Well 55 - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 14:22

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 14:22
I have found that Brown Davis do split as do Out of Town.

Will use neither again. Long Range Automotive are ok. Best order one direct and get 3mm in the bottom and front of tank and double welded baffles inside.
AnswerID: 51407

Follow Up By: myfourby - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 15:52

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 15:52
So I guess your answer is - don't trust my Brown Davis Tank - throw it in the bin and get a Long Ranger... hmmmmmmm
FollowupID: 313134

Follow Up By: Leroy - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 16:07

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 16:07
I don't think you should throw it out though!
FollowupID: 313139

Follow Up By: Squid - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 16:57

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 16:57
myfourby,

Out of Town make the Long Ranger brand of tanks, which ARB stock, these are different from Long Range Automotive, as far as I know. So Well 55 is saying stay clear of Long Ranger (Out of Town) and Brown Davis.
FollowupID: 313148

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 14:34

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 14:34
Brown Davis tanks have not been as good as they where a few years ago. Tank will split if they start to flex. Checking that the mounting bolts are tight is a must.

Out of town tanks would be the pick of the bunch. They also supply ARB with there tanks.

Wayne
AnswerID: 51409

Follow Up By: myfourby - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 15:40

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 15:40
Thought ARB supplied Long Ranger?
FollowupID: 313131

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 16:05

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 16:05
ARB get there tanks from Out of Town and Long Range Automotive.

Wayne
FollowupID: 313138

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 16:58

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 16:58
My mate and i both in GQ's last year drove up the OTL and drove back down the bypass roads.... Each vehicle had a gas tank at the back and a Brown Davis belly tank... Each of our BD belly tanks split on the way back,,, it was uncanny because Richard stopped for a squirt and i saw his GQ leaking fuel to the road and upon inspection saw a long split along a seam.....

Then looked at mine straight after and it was leaking also.....

So to cut a long story short..... *THEY SEEM TO BE CRAP ON CORRUGATIONS*
AnswerID: 51429

Follow Up By: davelivo - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 09:11

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 09:11
Did you need a tow - or did you fix it somehow?
FollowupID: 313274

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 20:39

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 20:39
Well,, to make a short story long found the leaks about 50kms south of the jardine ferry crossing so we tried to fix them straight away... We had a two part epoxy which we used to seal our leaks... It slowed it to a slow weep on both tanks so off we went again...

I noticed my fuel gauge down to ½ after about 100kms and so did Dick and we stopped to take a look again... The corrugations had opened up the putty and also the cracks had lengthened by a couple of inches and mine had split around the back on the bottom as well as the side...

We had no putty left so we used soap/bulldust and water which did sweet FA....

We had make it close enough to a town with LPG until we could use the tanks of LPG we had saved for just in case....

By hopping from fuel stop to fuel stop we made it all the way to Laura that night and had to park our vehicles out the front of the pub on a mound so we could slow the fuel coming out whilst in a public place.....

The next morning we went hunting for more putty but the servo had none so we tried the bulldust soap and water trick again and it sealed for about 100kms before it was streaming out again...

320kms out of Mossman we both flicked over to LPG and we arrived there late in the afternoon running on our last bit of LPG and finally made it into a servo... Dick filled up 1st and my turn was next.... But the corrugations had broken off my brass filler tube and the LPG i tried to put into my tank ended up blowing straight out of the bottom of the vehicle into thin air...

So anyway local tow truck driver helped us out and made another brass fitting and we were going again...
FollowupID: 313359

Reply By: fourstall2000 - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 17:54

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 17:54
I also had a Brown Davis tank and travelled the Canning,no leak problems but a rattle developed inside.
On our return I opened up the tank and found the surge tank around the pickup had come loose.
My only other comment is that the supplier needs to either take a customer relations course or not sell direct,pretty rude and impatient man.
Regards
AnswerID: 51438

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 18:20

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 18:20
I had a Brown Davis tank installed in my old truck about 18 months ago. No problems so far and I have been on some pretty nasty tracks. Maybe it was an early build. Time will tell.
AnswerID: 51443

Follow Up By: Savvas - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 08:57

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 08:57
Willem,

Just guessing, but it may also have to do with the old truck chassis being more rigid than newer ones. Therefore the mounts and the tank won't flex as much.
FollowupID: 313271

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 21:57

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 21:57
The big problem as I see it and as we discovered in the late 70's and early 80's when we made our own auxilary tanks to fit in 40's, 45's and early hiluxes was that any tank that is bolted in (with mounting brackets) will eventually crack and leak due to the stress imposed when the body or chassis it is mounted to twists.
When we started mounting them using straps to hold them in place like factory tanks (funny about that) we had no further problems as the tank could move around on the strips of conveyor belt between the floor and the mounting straps and the tank. You also have to make them thick enough and with enough baffles to handle the weight of the fuel, if the sides can flex they will crack eventually.
AnswerID: 51668

Follow Up By: myfourby - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 14:04

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 14:04
I totally agree with you Peter2 - thats what has always gone on in the back of my mind. I've seen how much flex there is in the chasis of my Hilux. All a rigid tank is trying to do is prevent that flex from happening... but its gonna flex no matter what - thats what its designed to do!! So - the tank begins to allow the flex to occur - and the side effect is - a crack - which is really annoying if you intend on storing fuel in it!!

So - how do I modify fix the installation of a rigid tank that bolts into my Hilux so that is allows for the flex and doenst crack?? - rubber washers where it bolts on?... rubber exhaust mounts maybe?... how would I mount it using conveyor belt straps? help?!?!

- myfourby

FollowupID: 313499

Follow Up By: Peter 2 - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 18:19

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 18:19
What we always did was to stick a piece of say 5mm rubber up under the floor or chassis, strips about 50mm wide should be enough.
Then get a length of flat bar say 30mm x 2-2.5 thick, bend it around the tank and allow a 70mm flat up against the floor or mounting point on the chassis.
One 8mm bolt with a large washer or a length of the flat bar to stop it pulling through should be enough at each end of the strap. Allow enough clearnce between the tank and strap to insert a strip of rubber to stop chafing.
I've used this method to strap a tank down in a ute tray as well as holding a 160l tank under a 45 series troopy above the tailshaft. Two straps are sufficient to hold most tanks, most vehicles only have two straps holding the tanks in.
FollowupID: 313554

Reply By: AndrewW - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 21:46

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 21:46
Hi,

Not fuel tank related, but i bought a fridge slide from Brown Davis Automotive here in Victoria. The guy, which was the owner, said one week to build, maybe a couple of days more.

I picked it up after 3.5 weeks waiting. I had actually given up getting it by then, and had started looking elsewhere.

Well, I was mounting in on a piece of ply board, imagine my horror when I discovered it was severely not square. I went straight back, told the guy it was crap and demanded my money back. Cause it was a special ordered size, I was refused refund, after haggling he offered to plane either end to make it "look" square, but faced with a possible two week further delay, I refused told him I was unhappy, and left. As others have said, he definately needs some customer service lessons. He actually got quite aggro with me. For clarification, the sides were parallel, and the sliding tray was square, but the outside frame wasn't. It does slide properly though, just looks all wrong on the piece of ply. Plus I have worries about the actual strength on the whole unit. The whole unit was very shabbily welded and put together. I got have easily done better myself.

I was *very* unimpressed with their service, and the response I got when returning to his workshop. Unfortunately for others, he seems to be flatout at present, doing lots of dodgy stuff for others.

I will never frequent his establishment again, thats 100% for sure.
AnswerID: 51972

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 02:15

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 02:15
I have a 4WD Systems LR tank and some have stated that this is a Brown Davis unit.
I have absolutely no idea so can anyone enlighten me?

For the record I have had this unit fitted for 4 years and have traversed the Pilbara & Kimberley fairly extensively with no sign of failure whatsoever.
AnswerID: 52012

Reply By: Member - Russell S - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 11:18

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 11:18
I have a BD fuel tank, and am impressed with the design and performance so far. Before I bought the tank, I tried to research the subject, and BD appeared to have the experience, expertise etc over everyone else. They've been in the tank game for nearly 30 years, and have made (and still do make) far more than anyone else, for the military, export etc, and if their product was really as poor as painted in this post, they wouldn't have such a big market. They do have failures, but so do all tank manufacturers. BD repair hundreds of tanks, and nearly all are from other manufacturers. Interestingly, few if any people seem to talk to BD about their problems, preferring to do their own fixes and complain about the product. Sometimes the problems are caused by other work in the area - eg people fit drawer systems into the back of a vehicle and use bolts that are too long and contact the top of the aftermarket tank. All the load of the drawers etc gets transmitted through to the tank and funny old thing, there's problems. I've damaged mine through some exuberant off-roading, but they will fix it and I don't expect further problems.
I like the idea of flexible mounting described above - makes sense.
As far as the BD man being arrogant etc, I haven't found him to be so. Confident and forthright, yes, but not arrogant. Some of his manner might come from many years of dealing with a variety of customers.....
I got the timing belt changed on my Prado at BD and they did a very good job. They think past the immediate issue, and fix/prevent related problems before they occur. They probably cost a bit more because of that, but it makes sense to me so I'll happily pay the money.
P.S. I am in no way associated with BD except as an occasional customer. They can hardly get on here and defend themselves, so I thought I'd point out some of the facts and my experience.
AnswerID: 55117

Sponsored Links