Power Battery Box

Submitted: Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 20:09
ThreadID: 11468 Views:8128 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I was at the caravan & camping show last weekend in Perth. A couple of businesses had a 'power battery box' made by 'ARK Engineering NSW'. They are basically a plastic battery box with external terminals, an accessory socket and a fuse. The idea is that they take the place of the 'waeco type' power packs but you simply purchase a good quality battery, say 75 amp hour for less than half of the cost of a 24 amp hour waeco pack.
Has anyone come across thes units before or used them?? They seem like they would be a better option for having portable power.
Cheers
Ray
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 22:25

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 22:25
Yep Ray

Have one myself. Got it from Supa Cheeeep for about $65-$70, works a treat, way to go I reckon.

Had a prob with the first I bought .... circuit breaker for the lighter socket outlet packed it in. Took it back for a no questions asked exchange. Replacement going fine.

Hell of a lot cheaper than the pre-made jobs.

Cheers
AnswerID: 51495

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 23:06

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 23:06
RayMc,
Sorry I missed the battery box thing it must of been hidden behind a caravan somewhere, I've never seen so many caravans in one spot, don't know about you, also an awful lot of them where sold and that was on the Saturday morning, I wouldn't be to keen on people tramping through my new $56k caravan unless you struck up some sort of super deal, everyone opening all the cuboards trying the bed out (just sitting on it I might add), checking out the stereo etc etc. I want it locked up sorry. The $500,000k Winebago was pretty impressive pity about all the hand prints and snotty nose prints all over the windscreen from people looking in, posh bus.
It as a huge show this year in comparison to last years, sorry I didn't have much input to the battery box thread.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 51504

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 23:15

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 23:15
I mad my own from a marine box ans added a 40 and 17 Ah gel cell deep cycle batteries and rigged them with a circuit breaker and 2 cig sockets each end so i can use them at camp for fridge /lights /shower or other gizmos or i can tandem it so the battery is being charged via main battery and then feeds through to the waeco in transit.

about $70 all made .
looking at a volt meter to fit on the case but my multi meter is fine for now.

cheers
AnswerID: 51506

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 00:29

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 00:29
Hi Toony
Can you expand on the set up, maybe a photo, looking for some thing small / portable and as a back up for fridge when staying a few days in the 1 spot, what brand batteries did u use ??

Cheers
FollowupID: 313250

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 00:36

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 00:36
Hi again as this would be a 3rd battery ( 2nd on Piranha system)
how do I charge it ??
FollowupID: 313252

Follow Up By: Member - Toonfish - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 01:49

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 01:49
will post a pic via a link tommorow as its dark now and im scared to venture outside (lol)
battery was AGM from memory .
i charged via my lighter previously but to no avail but wil try my new waeco wiring kit in a few weeks at easter as it provides good charge to rear socket (mine mounted in tray ).
not sure where you would wire it? (for charging on the go that is ).
get back to ya ok
FollowupID: 313253

Reply By: Ian Bee - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 20:41

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 20:41
Okay........I didn't see these things you speak of, but here's what Iv'e done..........

I use a Waeco Outback, and a 20 watt BP Solarex Panel, this seems to keep my CPAP ( breathing machine ) going every night.

I also use a Waeco CF 35 fridge. My Auto Electrician set me up with a 100 Ah Deep Cycle Battery in a marine plastic housing. Attached to the housing I have placed 2 standard cigar plugs & 1 Hella plug. Also I have mounted on top a small 240 volt trickle charger which keeps the thing ready at all times in my office. I also installed one of the Jaycar Volt / Amp meters to the unit.

Both my Honda HRV & Mitsubishi Delica are wired with 9 mm. cables & anderson plugs to charge this thing really fast.

Total Cost = Approx. 600.00

Just come back from Mungo in my Honda....... the battery never went below 12.5 volts running the fridge. Start the car in the morning and it whacks in 25 amps for about 2 - 3 minutes, then flattens out to zero after 15 - 20 minutes. This is a far better option than my Outback, however, I will admit that I have had to jump start the 2.8 litre deisel Delica using the Waeco........ 600 CCA.
I don't think the Deep Cycle would have managed too well.

Cheers

Ian

AnswerID: 51635

Reply By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 15:30

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 15:30
I am aware of the item that you speak of. From memory they sell them at Camec in Welshpool Rd, Welshpool. You might also try the 12 Volt Shop also in Welshpool.

We also considered the option of using such a setup in lieu of a Waeco Outback. Bought the Outback. Much less hassle than a deepcycle battery, nothing to spill out, etc. They do discharge much quicker than a deep cycle and you can recharge off the car cigarette lighter plug. However be aware they will over charge and can explode if not hooked up to a battery charger with full charge cut out.

It is handy and compact. Always carry it as a backup even though we have a dual battrey system and generator.

Wizard
Darwin
Prado TD
Jayco Freedom
AnswerID: 54028

Reply By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 15:31

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 15:31
I am aware of the item that you speak of. From memory they sell them at Camec in Welshpool Rd, Welshpool. You might also try the 12 Volt Shop also in Welshpool.

We also considered the option of using such a setup in lieu of a Waeco Outback. Bought the Outback. Much less hassle than a deepcycle battery, nothing to spill out, etc. They do discharge much quicker than a deep cycle and you can recharge off the car cigarette lighter plug. However be aware they will over charge and can explode if not hooked up to a battery charger with full charge cut out.

It is handy and compact. Always carry it as a backup even though we have a dual battrey system and generator.

Wizard
Darwin
Prado TD
Jayco Freedom
AnswerID: 54029

Sponsored Links