The Tanami trek...

Submitted: Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 20:10
ThreadID: 11469 Views:2416 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
FIRST OF ALL I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE FOR THERE IMPUT INTO HELPING ME DECIDE WHARE TO GO FOR A HOLIDAY...WELL FOLKS IV'E COME UP WITH THIS.....ALOT OF PEOPLE SUGETSED THE GASCOYNE AND PILBARRA AND WE HAVE DECIDED ON THE FOLLOWING...PLEASE LET THIS BE OK...WE REALLY DO APPRECIATE ALL YOUR FEEDBACK AS WELL....

I WILL BE TRAVELLING FROM PERTH TO DERBY THEN OUT ONTO THE GIBB RIVER ROAD THEN ONTO TUNNEL CREEK AND SOME GORGES THEN BACK INTO FITZROY THEN ONTO HALLS CREEK AND DOWN THE TANAMI TREK TO SEE ARYRES ROCK AND DEVILS MARBLES AND THEN ACCROSS TO WARBUTON THEN ONTO KALGOORLIE...WOW WHAT A MOUTH FULL LOL...SO WE HAVE PLANNED TO DO THIS OVER A 3-4 WEEK PERIOD...THATS ALL THE TIME I HAVE ...NOT ALOT HEY BUT WILL JUST HAVE TO MAKE THE MOST OF IT...SO I REALLY WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN TO ANY OF THESE AREAS AND HEAR THERE STORYS AND SOME IDEAS OF WHAT THERE IS TO SEE AND WHAT TO BE CAREFUL OF...WE ARE INEXPERIENCED 4WD PEOPLE BUT OUR LANDCRUISER IS VERY VERY WELL SET UP TO HANDLE IT...SHOULD BE FUN I HOPE AND IM SURE WE WILL HAVE A FEW LAUGHS....LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR COMENTS AS ALWAYS YOU ALL HAVE BE VERY HELPFULL IN THE PAST...I THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE BETTER THAN GOING ALL THE WAY ALONG THE GIBB RIVER ROAD TO KUNUNURRA AND NOT KNOWING HOW DEEP THE RIVERS WILL BE AFTER SO MUCH RAIN....I KNOW ALOT SUGESTED THE GASCOYNE AND THE PIBARRA AND WE HAVE SEEN ALOT OF THAT AND WOULD LIKE TO VENTURE FURTHER...IF IT MAEANS TAKING ANOTHER WEEK WE WILL AS WELL...THANKS AGAIN FOLKS...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 20:38

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 20:38
Phil,
Typing in capitals on a forum is considered to be SHOUTING.........you are forgiven this time :-)

When are you going on holiday again? Remember to check all road reports for flooding or damp places.

The only discrepancy I could find in your itinerary is that the Devils Marbles lies about 400km north of where the Tanami Road joins the Stuart Highway. That will mean an 800km return trip to add to your travels. Fuel is only available on certain days at Rabbit Flat. The Tanami Road can have severe bulldust patches and endless corrugations and there are virtually no roadside camp spots due to a sea of spinifex.

You will need permits to travel the Great Central Road from Uluru to Laverton.

Once again check this site out for all of your travel info.

Have fun.
AnswerID: 51463

Reply By: maverick - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 20:56

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 20:56
Good luck. At the moment it's wet, wet, wet, wet and getting wetter. I certainly hope the 'well set up' Landcruiser can get onto the BOM.gov.au site and put its brakes on just north of Carnarvon. That way you'll save yourself and others a lot of uneccessary worry. As for visiting all those places - in the dry - in the wet and in between. 2 weeks for the Broome - Alice Springs - Broome trip. 2 weeks for Perth - Alice Springs - Perth via Giles. Don't you want to see anything? rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 51470

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 21:03

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 21:03
Phil,

Buy yourself a video of the Kimberlies and play it on fast forward. That is what your trip is going to be like. Sorry to be tough but trying to rush a trip is not worth it.
How many rest days have you planned?
How inexperienced are you? A well equipped vehicle even a Landcruiser can have a flat tyre or have something break.
How much fuel are you going to carry?
What is you fuel useage?
Do you know where to get fuel from?
Do you have some form of contacting help? HF radio or Sat phone
There are a lot of things to plan and think about and I think that what is planned is too many kilometres and not enough time.
PS when typing on the net use lower case. Using capitials means that you are shouting.

Wayne
AnswerID: 51474

Sponsored Links