Tanami Trek...Shot Down In Flames....

Submitted: Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 21:39
ThreadID: 11473 Views:2466 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Well looks like we might not be going anywhere....lol...Yes i agree with you all 4 weeks is not alot of time but its all we have at this point...It might be easier if we tell you all what we would like to do and then you all may have some suggestions of what we can do and how to go about it...

We want to travel to Derby from Perth see Tunnel Creek and some Gorges...If we cant get to Alice Springs because of the time frame then so be it...What we want to do is to travel on as much gravel and sand as possible and to see some remote areas...We would like to cut through the kimberleys/northwest and finish up at Kalgoorlie and then bitumen through to Perth...Basically we want to do some 4wd and experience some camping and some remoteless....Perhaps this is what i should of mentioned before i submitted in the forum...Its just that the Tanami trek and the gibb river road sounded great...Wishfull thinking i guess...I probally would of got lost and died out there anyway...he he ...But on a more seriuos note i would love to join a group of 4wd people and get some real experience before i tackle the real out back....I was wondering if any 4wd clubs actually do the Gibb River or Tanami or even perhaps the Canning Stock route Between say late May-July...If so i would be very interested...in the meanwhile i would love to do a few short trips to get some much needed experience and to learn how to travel in a group...I think it would be fun and really enjoyable to be able to share stories and memories with a group of people with the same interests...

Hopefully i ll get some ideas from you all on where to go and as you all say take my time and ejoy myself that's what its all about...relax in the outback...

Once again sorry to have bothered you all and thankyou for your input and ideas...i just got a little excited about heading north and was a bit like a bull at a gate so to speak...he he ...

Thanks again...Phil...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 22:41

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 22:41
Phil, we all have dreams. Just some come true and some don't. Good luck with what ever track you decide to take. We will get there one day I hope.
Karen
AnswerID: 51499

Reply By: Member - Royce- Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 23:56

Monday, Mar 22, 2004 at 23:56
I understand your excitement. It is a big country and getting out there to see it is worth it. Make careful plans. Make sure you have enough time to enjoy it. Get a mate to travel with so you can say "hey look at that" and when you get home you can say "Remember when.....". Take four weeks and go to say Alice Springs. You can get there in three days from just about anywhere in Oz. Then do day trips out from there. Enjoy.
AnswerID: 51510

Reply By: Member - Humbie - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 08:33

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 08:33
don't give up Phil, I have a file on my computer called Trips these range from one week to ten weeks and one day I will complete them all. May run into you some time
AnswerID: 51524

Follow Up By: duncs - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 15:27

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 15:27
Humbie,

I have a similar file. From time to time I get to tick one off and that is always good. Then I talk to a mate who says "Have you been....?" or I visit a site like this and the list gets longer.

Last week I was talking to a mate who spent as many weeks on a trip as I did days on the same one. I thought I had seen it. Oh well looks like another addition to the list.

Phil just go and do it. If I was you I would start down in the south west forests and just do a few short simple trips till you build confidence and knowledge. Go on from there and we'll see you in some really remote stuff before too long.

Good Luck
Duncs
FollowupID: 313312

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 09:56

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 09:56
Phil you have a lifetime to enjoy all the trips you want. No need to dash here and dash there, the driving & scenery can be exciting but time beside a river and the solitude of an isolated beach are also a part of the trip to enjoy, take time to smell the roses.
Check a few of the trek notes on this site. Joining a 4x4 club who do what you want or even the tag-along tours are options that might suit. I always find planning a trip is half the fun, so keep plugging away at your dreams and they will happen.
Best wishes & good luck.
AnswerID: 51538

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 16:35

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 16:35
Phil when we first started we did a few weekend tag-along trips then a 2 week trek to gain experience, now we go by ourselfs or with friends. Out of Perth you could do as sugested, do Alice & surrounds in 4 weeks or Ningaloo & the Pilbura. What ever you decide go & enjoy. You could also use the itinery service on this site to see what you could do in 4 weeks as David & michelle have heaps of knowledge.
AnswerID: 51590

Reply By: locallaw - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 21:49

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 21:49
Gidday Phil,After travelling both GRR and the Tanami (both twice) the only thing you really have to worry about is corrugations and the dozens of other 4 wd travellers.Both these roads are like highways now.I would suggest you travel both these terrific trips ASAP as I have heard that the GRR is going to be sealed in the future and once that happens in comes the grey nomads.There are some terrific places to visit along the GRR so get some good litrature and enjoy.

Seeya Martin (locallaw)
AnswerID: 51664

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 08:19

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 08:19
Phil,
nothing wrong with Kimberley, Tanami, Alice region, Great Central Rd in four weeks. In fact that would be a doddle, and a good way to experience the things you seek.
AnswerID: 51727

Reply By: maverick - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 18:15

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 18:15
There is nothing at all wrong in your aspirations - just little steps is good. If you want to get out and about for Easter then log onto the WA4WDA website and they have details of clubs going away. If you can't find that reply to me and I will put you in touch with PEEL4X4 who are going to the Holland Track (3 days) and also Peron Peninsula (8 days)-(different groups). If nothing else at least you will get away from the rat race for a few days. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 51811

Sponsored Links