Brawn Winch

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 09:46
ThreadID: 11479 Views:3994 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
As some of you may be aware I have to replace my winch due to water damage. It looks like I will get a Brawn 10000lb winch as they claim to be waterproof. Can anyone who has a Brawn please give me some feedback on what they think of it. I don't expect it to be completely waterproof but I do hope it will stand up better that my previous Warn XD9000.

Topend
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 10:06

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 10:06
I don't have a b/bar winch but "waterproof" should mean just that with certain obvious exceptions, if it's underwater more than 1 meter you are definitely in deep trouble. How watertight is the guarantee and what R&D have they got to back it up are the questions I'd be asking them.
AnswerID: 51542

Reply By: Greg (rag) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 10:16

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 10:16
I've been using a Brawn winch for 12 months now, and have found it to be a very good unit.
They have a larger motor than the comparible Warns etc and are backed up very professionally by the staff at Brawn.
I have had one small problem (my fault) which they fixed free of charge.
AnswerID: 51544

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 10:25

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 10:25
What car is it going on, and how heavy is the truck?

I've met Colin from Brawn several times. He is a very professional man, and prides himself on being that little bit better.

He gave a talk at our club on his winches, general winch servicing, what to look for, and other stuff and his winch history, and how he came to 'design' them to his own specs. It was one of the better and more interesting special guests our club has had in the 3 yrs I've been there. Never faultered on a question asked. Colin is a competitor in 4wd events too, so knows what makes a good item.

I thnk you should be comparing 10k V 10k winches, not a 9k and a 10k..

Personally for me, it would be out of another Warn 10k, or Colins ZR10k. He was even planning a Highmount, dont know what happened with it in the end.

Again there was a test in one of the propaganda magazines, but again IMHO dont believe anything you read in them, the $ is mighty.
AnswerID: 51546

Follow Up By: Topend - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 12:11

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 12:11
Hi Truckster,

I'm not comparing a 9000lb v 10000lb winch. I'm weighing up which winch will give me less trouble with water contamination. I have a 100TD Cruiser which weighs 2760kg with full fuel but no load so obviously the larger winch is a better choice. The winch is to be fitted to a Toyota alloy winch bar.

Colin has emailed me and it sounds like he has done a great job with this winch. I pretty much have decided that I will be buying a Brawn. I just want some independent opinions from people who have one.

What I expect from a winch is to be able to travel a dirt road in the wet season and drive through patches of water and heavy rain without having to service the winch each time. Should I make a water crossing I certainly don't mind getting out to run the winch to ensure any moisture evaporates.

The Warn failed to meet these expectations. It sounds like the Brawn may exceed them.

Thanks,
Topend
FollowupID: 313285

Follow Up By: Roachie - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 15:54

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 15:54
Hey Truckster,
I have a bit more faith in the mag's than you do. 4WD Monthly did a snatch strap comparo a while back and one of their biggest advertisers, ARB, failed dismally. If they were, as you suggest, open to being "bought", wouldn't Mr Brown have suggested they tickle the results in his favour? Instead, ARB came out and put their hands up to a shoddy batch of straps which they said they would replace without question. Some poor little curry-muncher in India is probably still eating his vindaloo through a straw as a result of that cock-up.
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 313317

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 21:12

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 21:12
Roachie.

My ARB snatch has snatched 50+ times, and never failed, so that puts 4x4 mags in the toilet paper bucket for me. I have another one now to replace it shes a virgin though.

Like the spotlight test that everyone LOVES..

One mth Lightforce wins Narva loses...
next mag,
Lightforce loses, Narva wins...

With big 2 page ad next to it.. Oh Im not suggesting that by winning they did a deal to put a 2 page spread there also giving a pr for subscription prize, I suggest no such thing.... Oh not I said the man....

Noting that Toyota lose the occasional test, but somehow in the end still get 4x4 of the year? Oh Im not suggesting that by winning they did a deal to put a 2 page spread there, I suggest no such thing.... Oh not I said the man....
FollowupID: 313373

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 18:36

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 18:36
Topend,

I have a Brawn 9500. Have had it for just over 12 months and have used it 3 times in anger. It works pretty well and has a real agressive feel about it. I can't help you about the water bit 'cause down here in SA in doesn't seem to rain. I bought the Brawn direct from the supplier and he explained how they have waterproofed the winch. I can say however that when I was living up in Darwin I had a 5000 Warn and later 2 x 8000 high mount Warns. The 5000 was a low mount and rusted out in side from water ingestion. The high mounts worked OK for me.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 51607

Reply By: DeanoNSW - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 19:13

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 19:13
Hey Topend,

what are the prices you have been given for the Brawn ?

I would be interested to how they compare with the price of a Warn.

Cheers

Deano
AnswerID: 51620

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 21:08

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 21:08
www.brawn4x4.com.au his prices are on the site, they are HEAPS cheaper than Warn.. almost a grand.
FollowupID: 313372

Reply By: Member - Nino F (VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 22:18

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 22:18
Hi topend,
I bought a 9000lb Brawn for my GU 3 weeks ago. Used in anger 3 times last weekend thru some nasty bog holes ( 1 self recovery, 2 disco's recoverd). It felt very strong and did what was required.
I bought it direct from Brawn in Dandenong and Colin was very helpful and quitefrankly they cant be beaten on price. You won,t be dissapointed
take care....Nino
AnswerID: 51678

Sponsored Links