Improving Fuel Economy

Submitted: Friday, Feb 16, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 115 Views:2302 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Landcruiser Troop Carrier with a 4.5 litre Petrol engine. I accept that they are heavy to run, but I would like to get better fuel economy out of it. Currently it returns 5.6ks per litre on petrol and 4.6ks per litre on gas. Can this be improved, if so how?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Russell Parker - Saturday, Feb 24, 2001 at 01:00

Saturday, Feb 24, 2001 at 01:00
Contact Armadale 4WD Centre and ask about the Unichip. Its an after market computer chip that sits over the original system and does a much better job. I believe the fuel savings are not dramatic (however every bit helps)but there should be a significant increase in power. Cost approx. $1000 and takes a day to do, including a dyno test to prove the difference.
AnswerID: 221

Follow Up By: Rod - Monday, Feb 26, 2001 at 01:00

Monday, Feb 26, 2001 at 01:00
Thanks Russell. Ive read a bit on the Unichip. Russell my following comments are directed at the product, NOT YOU as you comment is appreciated.

I consider the Unichip to be expensive for what it is, especially in this day and age of computer technology. And a day to fit, I really cannot see why it takes a day to do (I probably get some feedback on this?).

There maybe 4WDrivers who have the unit installed and can provide feedback on it or any other similar product what really works.

One thing is for sure, this forum will quickly discredit any item/product that does not live up to what it is cliamed to do.
FollowupID: 35

Reply By: Joe McDermott - Wednesday, Mar 07, 2001 at 01:00

Wednesday, Mar 07, 2001 at 01:00
Rod,

This is realy an urban fix only, but try running it on premium unleaded fuel. The cost is about an additional 5 or 6% but the improved fuel economy can be over 20% around town. You will find that the engine runs more smoothly and you dont need to rev it anywhere near as much. Like most sophisticated engines they have been designed to run on much higher quality fuels than the crap we get in Australia and it is only their sophistication, in the form of knock sensors and variable ignition timing, that allows them to run as well as they do on ordinary ULP. Try it and see !
BTW If you can get hold of Shell Optimax things will improve even further.
Joe
AnswerID: 251

Sponsored Links