4 Runner or change

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 21:48
ThreadID: 11501 Views:1854 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

We are planning to go over to West Aust for a 2-3 month trek and where hoping that some of you may help us make a decision on whether to stay with the 95 Toyota 4Runner Advantage - 6cylnd, Petrol, coil springs, A/C, etc. We are thinking
of adding a 60litre Longer Ranger fuel tank, putting in a false floor and basically
rigging up that way. We will also put in an extra battery so that we can carry a fridge.
To get to the point. What we wonder is if we shouldn't be going over to one of the bigger (more common) vehicles like a 60/80 series Cruiser or a Patrol (diesel) - I have heard very good things about the old 60 series and have driven the 80 series for work many times and thought it a great vehicle. The Patrol I don't know at all but have been given varying reports from they're "great" to don't buy the GQ there awful - - Can't go too new as the cost is out of my league.
I know this question is really broad but does anyone have any thoughts one way or another?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 22:25

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2004 at 22:25
Serferoz,
Where do you want to start? How long have you had the vehicle you've presently got? If it's a good low k unit and suits your needs stick with it for now, if you go into buying a cheaper 60 series or 80 series you may be buying some one elses nightmare, depending on when you plan to leave you need to leave a bit of time to get to know the new vehicle. I had a 92 GQ for 3 years, great machine bomb proof drive train & engine, reasonable parts prices, insurance is reasonable far as I was concerned, after three years of ownership I'd got it to the standard I wanted it to, then I sold it, foolish I know. If you need parts you stand a good chance of getting them quickly. I can go on and on you will get the drift I'm sure. Every vehicle will have it's pros and cons as you will have no doubt noticed by the forum...................
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 51682

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 16:33

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 16:33
I've been rigging up my 95' Surf (same body as yours) and have found it very flexible with adding all the goodies. I just did my first trip with the Rhino Sprortz Bars and basket (which I can now recommend) however a roofrack bag of some sort will help in the packing and unpacking side of things... They are great vehicles to work on, very easy to get into everywhere for putting mods etc. If it's a good truck (body, engine etc) , kit it out and get out there!
AnswerID: 51788

Reply By: Jimmy - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 17:41

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 17:41
I Had a Nissan Terrano for about a year. Great little car, Inexpensive to run good on the Highway, good off road ( I thought) great in the sand. While I had it, I would read these posts about Cruisers and Patrols and how great they are and thought to myself... How much better could they really be? They use heaps of fuel, bloody heavy to pull out of a bog, no good for the missus to park... yadda yadda... In the end the Terrano was just to small to carry all my tools and i bought a GQ 100% Happy and will never NEVER go back. Unbeleivable machine! Off road with the limited slip in the rear it goes places easily that my mates 80 series struggles with. Not as zippy as the Terrano and a bit truck like but I like that. I was really surprised that the step up was so big

Jim
AnswerID: 51806

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 18:59

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 18:59
We toured the big island last year for three months in a Diesel 4 Runner and had a ball.Vehicle handled everything easily,had a rear storage system(home made) in the rear,roof rack loaded with chairs,tent etc and still plenty of room for us,2 adults and two kids.Once I'd have liked to upgrade to a larger vehicle but after last years trip Im more than happy with what we've got,also if you know your vehicles mech OK,why buy something that could bring you trouble and cost heaps to fix.
AnswerID: 51820

Sponsored Links