Not getting the full story

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 10:24
ThreadID: 11510 Views:1475 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am in the process of getting a 2" lift on the explorer, which is a dramain it's self i can tell you, not being able to buy thing's for it unless you buy direct from Ford or the USA, anyway, found a 4wd place that would help me, finally !!, and inexpensive as well, around $300 to $400 wind up torsion bar for 2" lift at the front and 4" shackles for 2" lift at rear, beauty," so i thought", so arrange to book car in to get done, i told the guy at the 4b place i would ring him later that afternoon for a day that we could put it in so that other half was not without a vehicle. When i rang back i spoke a differant person, the guy that runs the place, apparently i had been speaking to a mechanic who only worked on the cars, he failed to tell me that i needed a engineer's certificate to go with the shackles, an extra $480 dollars, hence the title of the post. So I wonder how many people have been caught out with this after they have had work done, i was lucky, i found out before the work was done saving a lot of agro and money, i wont mention the 4b place for legal reasons of cause and as i am going for the other option bigger springs with them, worked a deal and wont be much dearer than the previous option.

Baz.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ross - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 14:39

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 14:39
Sounds like they decided the original price was too cheap.The engineers certificate they hold for the shackles is not something they would normally have to pay for every time they hand it out to a customer and it wouldnt be $480(I bet its a photocopy of the original) . The mechanic would have based his price on other jobs,so he would have known whether or not to include a engineers certificate.
I would have a told them I reached my budget and not too include the certificate.If you ever need it,you can go and get it later.
Im not familar with explorer suspension but I take it has leaf springs on the rear as you speak of shackles.
I would have got new leaves with a 2in lift rather than using 4in shaclkes thus negating the need for the certificate
I also wouldnt worry about naming a business for legal reasons if its the truth .

AnswerID: 51762

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 15:12

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 15:12
I got the impression they got an engineer to come in to write the report after job was done, i am going with the spring's, the explorer has got crap spring's standard anyway so it's probably the best option. the thing was if you did'nt know about this and you were new to all this suspension lifts and such as i am it would be a shock when you got the bill.

Thanks for advice on the spring's ross as i said the guy who ran the place advised on the spring's as well being a cheaper option and better. getting the right advise from the right will avoid alot of frustration.

thank's baz

ps: boy i'm glad i found this site.
FollowupID: 313517

Reply By: Member - James H (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 23:26

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 23:26
Baz,

I have a '98 XLT Auto which I am about to sell due to my recent purchase of a 100 series T/D Landcruiser. These early model Explorers had leaf springs way too soft which sagged badly in no time.

I had TJM's Series 2000 suspension installed within months of my purchase. Includes replacement leafs in rear and replacement shocks all round. A far safer handling package which gave around 40-50mm lift (front lift with torsion bar adj). Gives a harsher ride than the original setup. The Cruiser is a luxury ride compared to it. The rear bushes needed replacing (passanger side only?) at around 100,000k. Have done 145,000km and still going strong.
No engineers certificates required.

Cheers
AnswerID: 51872

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 08:34

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 08:34
Hi James, have Tough Dog shock's and made Ford replace rear leaf's under warranty, i'm going with the spring's i've also got Polyair's as well to help with the trailer. Cant get new car yet will be soon though, have trouble finding a 4b that has a comfortable back seat, if we could find a 4b with a back seat as good as the explorer we would be happy, usualy 3 or 4 of us go away and they have to be comfy too. Our's is a 99 manual with 16" rims give's it a touch more ground clearence.

Baz.
FollowupID: 313660

Sponsored Links