Exide Extreme or Delkor

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 13:12
ThreadID: 11516 Views:8065 Replies:10 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Want to put in a second battery to run a fridge. Can get a Exide Extreme 80 AH(not sealed) for $145 or a Delkor 80AH (sealed) for $190. appearently the Exide has 620 Cranking Amps and I am not sure of the Delkor. Is the Delkor worth the extra? I would of liked more AH but I think I am restricted to 300mm long. I was planning on getting a steel battery tray from ARB for $110 but I can get a fibreglass one from FRP for $72. ARB recons the fibreglass will break on rough roads - any comments whats the best way to go?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MikeyS - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 14:04

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 14:04
Justin, I can give you half the story. I've been using Exide Extremes for both the cranking and aux battery (mainly for fridge) and have been very happy with the results. I usually get about 3 years out of them and if one dies, I can swap them over so the newest battery is used for cranking. I can't compare with a Delkor as I've never used on, but I don't think you need to spend more than the price of an Extreme. Best price I've ever got for a N70ex was $120 at Beaurepaires on special, but that was a few years ago. Cost $130 a few months ago.
Cheers

MikeyS
AnswerID: 51756

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 14:49

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 14:49
Have a look at both the Optimas and the Odysseys (sp?). They are both more expensive, but smaller per A/H capacity and sealed. Both should last longer due to their construction (5-10 years typically in a deep cycle application). You could mount either battery in the vehicle if space is a problem (no spillage and no gas production). Either will have enough oomph to jumpstart the vehicle should it be necessary out in the sticks, or to act as a crank battery due to failure of your main.

Odysseys are about 2/3 the size/weight of the equivalent "sloppy" with the ability to function as a crank or deep cycle in all positions except inverted equally without detriment to the life of the battery. Vibration resistant??? approved for light aircraft...

Optimas are a little less tolerant of the dual purpose ability but far more than adequate to get you out of trouble and home comfortably. About 3/4 weight/size of a sloppy.

The one thing it is not worth "economizing" on in the bush is your battery because without it, you are stuffed......
AnswerID: 51764

Follow Up By: -OzyGuy- - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 16:31

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 16:31
Check out the Odyssey web page
you will see that the largest capacity battery that Odyssey make is only 65 Amp/Hour, at only 6.5 amps for only 10 hours is not a serious storage battery.

they may be a brilliant starter battery however lack the true storage capacity to be a genuine long term Deep Cycle battery, when you can get a few days from a $130 Deep Cycle why would you even concider less than that for 4 times the price.....
FollowupID: 313538

Reply By: rolande- Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 18:17

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 18:17
Without wanting to get into an argument here, (unlike another forum over the past two days), a "fAQ sheet" I read from the U.S. about batteries suggested that you never use a sealed battery in hot climates, the liquid level drops over time with no method of replacement. Not taking this as gospel, just thoght it made sense
Hope this helps
Rolande
AnswerID: 51812

Reply By: Andy - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 18:47

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 18:47
Justin,

I also have exide extremes. One for auxilary and just bought another for cranking($110.00 but I know someone) I so far have found the auxilary good. Seems to accept a charge quickly also which a deep cycle does not. (Not sure if the Delkor is deep cycle) Anyway my extremes a good so far.

good luck with your choice.

P.S. Extreme has 24 month warranty
AnswerID: 51817

Reply By: Austravel - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 20:11

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 20:11
Justin,

Am using both at the moment. The Exide is great usually get around 4 years out of them. The Delkor is a calcium battery and charges very quickly compared to the Exide, not sure how long it will last though.

Regards
AnswerID: 51832

Reply By: ianmc - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 21:52

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 21:52
Justin, I have a 4yo Delkor which has been used to run a fridge & start the truck over that period & have a 2/3yo exide endurance as well. Both have been tested recently & put out 600cca.
The second battery in my view MUST be able to start the truck . As mentioned before, the deep cycle may take a long time to charge and may not like partial discharges. Maybe someone else can confirm or deny this.

I also bought a "field day" special in Horsham last week in the form of a R&J battery N70 for $89 just in case one of the others may be better left at home one day soon.
AnswerID: 51852

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 23:26

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 23:26
Justin,
I had a Delkor in my GQ as the auxillary battery, I never had a problem with it, when the battery wasn't getting used the performance would drop off, then after getting used heavily for maybe three four days on a trip it would come good again, it's heavy so I would stick with the steel tray, the fibregalss one wouldn't take a good pounding in my opinion, I have no experience with fibreglass I've always used steel, the steel one caused a crack in my inner guard I had to have welded up so I don't reckon a f/glass one would take it. I've also been told since that you should never have a sealed battery as an auxillary battery, can't remeber why. I've got a hybrid battery in my GU which apparently is a compromise between a deep cycle and a "normal" cranking battery, seems ok so far.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 51871

Reply By: Mick - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 08:38

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 08:38
Hey Justin, if your in Sydney we can get you a Delkor 27H-710 battery for $150inc.
They are 710cca, which is the model no. as well.
Call us at Christie Engineering, we make the outback battery chargers.
02 9620 1208.
We use these batteries all the time with our generators, and havent had a problem yet.
AnswerID: 51891

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:38

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:38
Yup, got my delkor marine battery from r&j about 6 months ago, it is somewhere between a deepcycle and a starter, in the n70 case size . has given fantastic service as the main battery in the jack , and am looking at getting a second one to set up as a dual system. it has the acid free vent system and extra aux. terminals. Great build quality as well.
AnswerID: 52384

Reply By: Richard - Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 20:16

Friday, Apr 02, 2004 at 20:16
Much to my disappointment I was told my 2 year old Optima Yellow top had failed the load test and one of the cells had a problem. Have only been using it to run an Engel 40ltr fridge througha Pirahna isolator. Was told they had a 3% failure rate. Anyone else had problems or am the only 3%.
AnswerID: 52982

Sponsored Links