Tripping at woodgate

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 14:26
ThreadID: 11521 Views:8146 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all
Thinking of going to Woodgate for a break after Easter.Never been just want a rough idea of the place, I have seen the web sites just to know from visitors if
there is anything else that we can do there.Can you drive on the beach and is it good fishing off the beach or do you need a boat. The holidays cant come around soon enough.Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: JQ - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 14:39

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 14:39
Hi Don, I have not been to Woodgate but have been to Kinkuna National Park which is just north of Woodgate.
The fishing off the beach should be ok as well as Theodolite Creek which is the northern end of Woodgate. Take your crab pots for there as well.
Enjoy

John
just crusin & smelling the flowers

1. At Halls Creek (Is he really lost?)
2. East of Cameron Cnr

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 51761

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 15:17

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 15:17
Woodgate is a nice beach for families, in particular. Very popular with bushies and becoming the new "in" place. Not sure that you can drive on the beach. Not much surf!! Good fishing. My out-laws are at Buxton (around the bay a bit and on the mouth of the river) - it's known as the 'poor man's Woodgate'. Good fishing though. Not far from Childers and nice shopping there. Not far from Bundaberg or Hervey Bay. Plenty of day trips.
AnswerID: 51771

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 17:21

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 17:21
Woodgate is a nice little seaside town, Burrum Point Campground, just south of Woodgate is a great little spot and Kinkuna NP just north is great for an explore (beware the duco however)

You can drive on the beach south of woodgate until Burrum point, and you can drive on the beach at Kinkuna (although I am very picky as to when I do, the sand up there can be bottomless and they reckon that they lose 2 4bys there each year.

If you are after a sand driving challenge, head to Coonarr (north of Kinkuna) and find the 'Coonarr esplanade' it starts abot 100 meters from the beach and runs north, soft sand, steep hills and valleys, I've never made it to the other end, that is South Elliot Heads. (I really wouldn't try this alone or without a winch). Of course with therecent good rains, the track may not be too bad!!

I get up that way a bit, with and without the club, if you have further questions I'd be happy to help.
AnswerID: 51802

Follow Up By: Member - Don (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 21:40

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 21:40
Thanks Dave,
Any local knowledge is a plus.i dont so much about the beach driving
i have heared you may be able to drive on the beach.I might explore more of the national parks.Thanks again for the tips
FollowupID: 313599

Reply By: MarkFC - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 22:41

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2004 at 22:41
We have been to Woodgate twice in the last 12 months, and can't wait to get back up there in September. Beach driving is allowed between Walkers Point and the beach access south of the Esplanade, but it is pretty easy going. I have heard reports that Kinkuna can be a bit more of a challenge. Have a look at the Qld National Parks websites for details of various national parks in the area.

The fishing in Theodolite Creek can be a bit slow, and I haven't seen any catches off the beach, but it is a great place to explore in a boat.

Have fun

Mark FC
Nissan X-Trail
Sunshine Coast

AnswerID: 51861

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 08:02

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 08:02
Mark I think that you mean driving between Burrum Point and the Esplanade, the beach between Burrum point and Walkers point is mangroves.

cheers
AnswerID: 51887

Reply By: MarkFC - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 08:45

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 08:45
Hi Dave

My mistake, there are plenty of mangroves and mud in that area!

Burrum Point to the Esplanade is the designated beach driving area.

Thanks

MarkFC
Sunshine Coast
AnswerID: 51893

Sponsored Links