Toyota HZJ 77........views and turbo choice?

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 06:11
ThreadID: 11536 Views:3531 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Just bought this cruiser, imported from Japan. Heavy duty, leaf springs allround, . 4.2 litre non-turbo (1HZ) engine, auto and with a good range of creature comforts. Does anyone have experience/knowledge of this model.........anything I should know? Also what advice on going for a turbo kit on this motor?

Thanks

IT
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: maverick - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 11:54

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 11:54
There is nothing wrong with your purchase - typical L'cruiser so it shpuld last for ages. However - and there are always howevers - if the dealer has not serviced the fuel pump and injectors (and if you think they did then you believe that ACA is a teller of truth) you need to get them serviced. The diesel used in Aust. is different in chemical make-up to that in Japan (it doesn't matter why it just is) and your 'Cruiser will smoke it's heart out and send the particulate level soaring. Seals and timings and things are played with to get it setup for Aust. Go to a proper diesel mech. and you should be on the way to 4WD Nirvana. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 51906

Follow Up By: Davoe - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 13:05

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 13:05
Intresting info, ran into a guy with an imported patrol with low ks was very happy with it towing a van (std 4.2 deisel) but said it smoked like yul bryner
FollowupID: 313699

Reply By: Kiwi Ray - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 13:24

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 13:24
Hi
I have been running imported cruisers for years with no problems.
What is the model number of your truck? HJ??????? or some thing similar
My suggestions are do a complete oil change front to rear, then change the engine oil and filters again after 500 ks or so.
Most of the smoke can be caused by blocked mufflers due to the slow running in Japan, I throw the whole exhaust away and fit a big bore and the problems usually go away.
As you say it has leaf springs is it a commercial model?
In Japan the a larger range of models than in Aussie or here
Ray

AnswerID: 51911

Sponsored Links