Camping on Cape York: Question for Eric from Cape York Connections and Seto

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 13:51
ThreadID: 11541 Views:2151 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Guys I posted this a fair way down another thread - just thought that you might not go back and look if you don't have an e-tag on it. Apologies if you have already seen it.

Eric from Cape York Connections and Seto - Seto I see you are in a convoy of 6 and I'm assuming that Eric also has larger groups as well - I will be leaving Canberra with 7 vehicles (me plus 6) 3xGU Patrols, 2xdiscos, 1xPrado, and 1xRodeo (all diesels). We will have 3 with offroad trailers and the rest will be tenting it. One of my concerns is the size of bush campsites along the way - are we likely to strike much trouble if we travel early and stop early - setting up camp at say 1500 or thereabouts? We depart Canberra 25 July with the intention of travelling via Bourke, Longreach, Hughenden, The Lynd, CHILLAGOE (cross country from the Lava Tubes), Wrotham Park, Coen, The Tip (up and back on the OTL- the corrugations of the bypass roads in 2001 got the better of me and I've decided to take the slow but scienic route both ways), Weipa (via Batavia Downs), Cooktown (via Lakefield) and then to Mossman (via Trib or the CREB). What's your view on the camping dilemma?
Cheers
Pete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 14:00

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 14:00
Patrol22, The locations I mentioned the other day are all the way up and are generally a couple of acres in size each. The recognised camp grounds on the way up will have plenty of room even if you travel later into the day. Have a great trip.
AnswerID: 51913

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 20:51

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 20:51
Patrol I leave port douglas on the 28 th june and have 8 in all including me. On the 26th july I also leave port douglas so far 4 trucks including me.
The june trip will be a bit more crowded but every one always seem to fit.
I think you will find wepia the top and parts of the old track busy but as I said we always seem to fit.
I would be checking the creb because they are not grading it any more and with a tea spoon of water on it it can be tricky.
We had a groupe leave us arfter one of our trips and went down the creb and had a bit of rain they were caught in there for a few days.I caught up with them a few days latter and they said it was very tricky.

Hope this helps.

Have a good one.
Eric
AnswerID: 51959

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 09:12

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 09:12
Thanks Guys - Eric might see you on the way. Red GU patrol - we are all from the Land Rover Club of the ACT.
Cheers
Pete
AnswerID: 52026

Reply By: Troopie - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 16:44

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 16:44
Heya
You have been up there so generally know what to expect. Like the others said - it will be busy, but people always seem to fit. There are a few exceptions though where things can be a bit "cosy". For example, the main camping area at Twin Falls can become very congested. Some of the other crossings on the OTL also have camping areas around them - but again, can become congested, setting up early will help avoid struggling to find a spot and/or swallowing smaller groups given you are a reletively large group.

Agree with the plan to do the OTL both directions. The only reason I could think of to do the bypass roads is if the fishing has been really good and you spent all your travelling time fishing.... ;-)

I'm also in Canberra so happy to point out a few spots for you and/or whet your appetitie with some photos....

Cheers
AnswerID: 52074

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 19:57

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 19:57
Troopie are you the fellow I sent the videio to.
FollowupID: 313947

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 19:55

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 19:55
Thanks Troopie - I would appreciate it if you had an independent look at my itinerary. Could you email me at peteandlyn22@bigpond.com or peter.smith12@defence.gov.au and I will send it to you to have a look at.
Once again thanks for the advice.
Cheers
Pete
FollowupID: 314023

Follow Up By: Troopie - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 09:27

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 09:27
G'day Eric and Pete
Yep - Eric, I'm the guy you sent the video to - it was absolutely fantastic to watch - a real trip down memory lane!! Can't wait to get up that way again! Doing the Canning this year though.

Hows things going up there for you - hope all's well???

Pete
Will send you a direct email shortly.

Cheers
Dave
FollowupID: 314137

Reply By: Catherine - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 13:27

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 13:27
For those heading to the Cape in July/August, have a wonderful time. We will be up there around that time with our 4wd Club, so hope to see you on the tracks somewhere. Look out for the CFA 4wd Club in your travels!

Cheers.

Catherine.
AnswerID: 52553

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 22:39

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 22:39
Hello Catherine - there will be 6 others from the Land Rover Club of the ACT travelling with me - might catch up for a chat on the way somewhere. Keep and eye out for a red GU patrol in company with a couple of other patrols, a rodeo, a prado and a couple of discos.
Cheers
Pete
FollowupID: 314438

Follow Up By: Catherine - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 13:13

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 13:13
Pete (and others)

Will keep an eye out for you all up there. We drive a black GQ patrol, and will have several other patrols in our convoy, so good choice of vehicle!! You will be able to pick us - we have stickers across the front of our windscreens.

Cheers.

Catherine

PS - I realise its probably too early to be asking, but can anyone tell me the conditions of the road between Port Stewart and Portland Roads? Also around Lawn Hill N.P?

Thanks!
FollowupID: 314492

Sponsored Links