Yoki Super Diggers

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 15:43
ThreadID: 11546 Views:5316 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I'm curious....I see a lot of 'chat' about the Coopers tyres but I've only tried one set and they didn't hang in as well as the Yokohama Super Digger V's. I do a little beach driving but most 'serious' runs are into the Pilbara, so some pretty rocky work and after 20 years and 2 MQ Patrols and now the GQ I still seem to get the best life out of the SD's. Given that I haven't seen anyone bagging or praising them I'm curious to know what responses are out there. As a famous man once said..'why is it so?'

Ta in advance..K&J

PS: I'm a very firm believer in setting up the tyre pressures for each situation
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 17:43

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 17:43
K&J,

We ran SD's on our Pajero for about 3 years. 12 mths of this was when we were living in Darwin and 4WDriving all around the top end where we encountered all kinds of conditions from jagged rock, sand, mud, black soil plains etc. Later we travelled across the Kimberley, a Pilbara trip, up and down the WA coast and throughout the SW of WA. Never experienced any tyre problems in all that time and found them to be a very good all round tyre.

We're now running Cooper AT's on our GU and campertrailer and whilst they seemed alright in the beginning they now seem to be wearing down very quickly. Hubby reckons he won't buy them again. As I write this I'm wondering why we didn't get SD's on the GU. Perhaps they weren't available????

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 51935

Follow Up By: PerthGQ - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 18:20

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 18:20
Hi Melissa,

Thanks for that, it's exactly how I found the Coopers too, ok at the beginning but once they started wearing they went off like a dog after ducks. I'm planning on sticking to the SD's. For your info I've just put two new SD's on. Easy enough to find and Tyrepower were cheapest by a long way and had them in stock, unlike most of the others.

By the way, congrats on the new addition and the wife loves the piccy.

Regards..Keith
FollowupID: 313744

Reply By: rockhopper - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 20:38

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 20:38
K&J,

I am running Bridgestone A/T on my GQ Patrol and have not had a problem. Went off road just recently over fairly rocky terrain, and through a few mud puddles and never had a problem. At this stage am a happy camper with the tyres

Rock hopper
AnswerID: 51953

Reply By: ianmc - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 21:08

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 21:08
For some time I have read some of the 4wd mags which rave over the life & drivability of Coopers tyres & US tyres seem to be very durable.
Its a revelation to find on exploroz that there is little or no praise for them.
Wonder why??
AnswerID: 51963

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 21:26

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 21:26
Yokos are too expensive.

I went to a Yoko dealer (which aint there anymore) behind Gary Leckie Nissan in Frankston, and said I was lookin' at MTR's and Yokos..

His exact words were
"I wont bother pricing the Yokos for you then they are heaps more"...

never did get a price on them, got the MTR's and lived happily ever after.
AnswerID: 51967

Follow Up By: Shaun - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 21:37

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 21:37
I managed to get yoko sdo5's alot cheaper than much else here in Townsville. I ended up getting 225/16's for a 99 hilux d/c for $208. I looked at BFG's, Coopers, Bridgestone A/T's. Not convinced they will outlast the original super-grippers though.

Shaun
FollowupID: 313783

Reply By: Member - Phil F (WA) - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 23:39

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 23:39
G'day buddy...I have a cruiser 100 series and just brought a set of coopers st 305 x16...I have been off road in the pilbara and they stick like glue on sand and had no prob's on gravel...I would imagine at high speeds on real rocky ground they would get stone chipped for sure ...I'm happy to cruise at low speeds so it does'nt worry me...They also carry a 80,000 km warrenty as well...I run them with around 40 psi in the city and 35 in the bush...So far ...(touch wood) theve been great...

Ithink it gets down to each to there own...Wether ill get them again time will tell...There not cheap though...As for clearence No probs at all....The 315r16 could cause a prob though but the 305r16 are fine....The other thing to take into consideration is getting hold of a cooper in the outback if you blow one...i take 2 spares where ever i go ....Hope this has been of some help to you...

Cheers Phil

AnswerID: 52003

Reply By: PerthGQ - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 13:55

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 13:55
Thanks to all for the feedback. It's good to know I'm not the only supporter of SD's. Still, I guess the important thing is to look after the tyres and they'll look after you (hopefully). BTW in the recent shopping around for the new SD's I found they were still cheaper ($185ea) than most so the banker is happy too!
Safe driving all,
Keith
AnswerID: 52050

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 15:32

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 15:32
An interesting story from the other week. Had to drop down to a not so local tyre dealer to get a new tyre for my wifes ride on vacuum cleaner, he happened to be a Coopers Agency. He made very favourable comment (quitely) about the Goodyear MTR's fitted to my wagon, he wished the same tyre had the Coopers brand name on it.
I was back there last Thurs to pick up a good second hand tyre he managed to get for me and there was his own wagon on the hoist. Guess what he was fitting - GYear MTRs.
Now I'm not bagging Coopers as I have no experience with them to do so, but I thought it was a good endorsment for my tyres.
AnswerID: 52193

Follow Up By: Member - Michael- Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 11:30

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 11:30
K&J

I've been following this thread with some interest as I am running Cooper's A/Ts on my GU Ppatrolat the moment and have done 30K with no problems. My local Tyrepower dealer that I got them from advised against the Cooper S/Ts unless I was going to spend 90% of my time on dirt and gravel as once they wear about half way down the tyre wear becomes uneven on prolonged bitumen use.
By the way in the April edition of "Overlander 4WD" Magazine Page96 there is an article on Cooper Discoverer S/T

Cheers
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 314353

Sponsored Links