Insurance....yes again

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 17:09
ThreadID: 11549 Views:2335 Replies:10 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Just got off the phone with AAMI insurance after enquiring about insurance for a camper trailer as i have to pick mine up soon, and was told "no, we no longer cover those"....so i thought i may aswell get a quote on my 4wd while i had her on the phone.....she asked if I belonged to any 4wd clubs, to which i replied "no...why?" and was told that if I was then they wouldn't insure my 4wd. So i asked if she meant some type of competition 4wd club..she said nope, any 4wd club at all we wouldn't cover you...so im not in any club anyway, so asked for a qoute.....at which point she asked if the vehicle would be used off road...i said of course, its a 4wd........she said then "no, we won't cover you at all...too high a risk"

Yes it's a long winded story and I know there is a lot of insurance stuff in the archive, i looked it up before posting, because some are as recent as a few days ago saying they were covered with AAMI no worries at all, Im in melb, and i didnt even get to a single question about car, driver, or anything else, once she heard 4wd off road she pretty well wanted no part of my enquiry....so my question is who else can i try?...i want to cover a Trak Shak very shortly, and would like the 4wd to be with the same company
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lynn2 - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 17:31

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 17:31
We are insured with GIO (Originally AMP). We are planning a trip to the Cape later this year so I rang to find out about my cover. All conditions green I am told as long as I do not drive contrary to leagal signs e.g. in national park which is sign posted no 4wds.
I have also booked the car on a cargo boat to take us from Cairns to the tip. We will drive back. It's covered on the boat as well.
AnswerID: 51933

Reply By: Peter Guy - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 17:33

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 17:33
Try Insurers Hot line 1300 306 560. I'm happy with them even though they are based in Qld and I'm in WA! Their car insurance covers the trailer to a pre determined $ value.
Good luck
Peter Guy
AnswerID: 51934

Reply By: Brad - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 17:51

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 17:51
I have my camper insured with NRMA - seem a little expensive but the cover seems quite comprehensive (eg off road, contents incl electronics etc.).
Regards,
Brad.
AnswerID: 51937

Reply By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 18:02

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 18:02
i just called AAMI again and got a different person...cause frankly i was kind of dumb founded before, and i wanted to know if perhaps i'd worded the term "off road" incorrectly. This guy had no probs with insuring both camper trailer and car for anything off road....as long as "you don't try a river crossing that is obviously too large and your car is flooded or washed away, as this we would consider a deliberate act"...which sounded fair enough to me. So now I have a quote for both car and trailer, and will be getting the details in mail shortly.
I may have been a bit quick in my post. As after the call this is the first place i came to check, because I was sure i'd read AAMI covered 4wd's, so while here i did my post but now that its kind of irrelevant David may want to just delete it. I have to wonder who i got the first time I called tho, maybe it was the cleaner.
Thanks to those who took the time to reply
AnswerID: 51938

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 19:26

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 19:26
Gajm (VIC)
I am with AAMI, and I must admit I have had my calls answered by (I am sure) the same person as you got the first time!!!
And like you did, I have rang back and got someone else who actually knows!! :-)
It's annoying, but by the same token I have also had some very helpful people answer my queries.
Just make sure you ask as many questions about as many scenarios as you can, and get them to clarify points in writing... it's a pain in the backside but it could prove worthwhile down the track.

FollowupID: 313750

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 19:53

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 19:53
Galm and Brian, it seems with AAMI it definitely depends on who you get. That's why I conducted all my enquiries by email and insisted on email replies. I then sent all the email exchanges to the Head of Claims and requested written confirmation of what was contained in the emails. I got that so I am fully covered for any eventuality that I may may endure.

I would advise against accepting mere telephone advice because you will find no-one will remember THAT conversation when push comes to shove.
FollowupID: 313755

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 20:01

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 20:01
Rohan
Exactly!!!!
That's why you have to get it in writing!!!!
FollowupID: 313756

Follow Up By: thomo - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 20:18

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 20:18
I have two four wheel drives and an off road van insured with AAMI and i asked them if i was covered offroad and the women said i was covered anywhere in aus no matter were i was.She also said they had to recover several honda crv's from the bush last year.
FollowupID: 313758

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 21:23

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 21:23
And here we go again, same person, and was told 2 different things.. which is not uncommon for AAMI from the looks of it (3-4 people told different things in another thread and even having different things in writing!!!!)

I wouldnt touch AAMI with a barge pole, they obviously have NFI what they are doing!
How can one person say NO PROBLEMS, and another within a few hours have said NOT A CHANCE..

I'd look elsewhere...
FollowupID: 313773

Follow Up By: Jon - '88 TD42 GQ - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 13:11

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 13:11
I was going to reply to your original post and suggest you got an idiot and to try another call, looks like I was right. ANY call centre hjas it's share of morons. Thats a fact of life, I know, I sit next to one of them.

In the end your coverage is based on the policy document you were sent. The laws on this are insanely tight now so if it isn't excluded in the policy document, it isn't excluded. The only thing to clarify is definitions (say of gazetted roads, deliberate act etc) where they are used. These should be defined in the doc as well.

I read mine after I insured with AAMI and the policy is a good one. Until such time as they screw me around I'm happy with them.
FollowupID: 313852

Follow Up By: Jon - '88 TD42 GQ - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 13:15

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 13:15
Oh yeah, I also meant to say the only important thing with an insurance co. (aside from price) is it's claims record. The quality of the person you get when you get a policy is not as important as what the person who decides if you get a payout when you have written of the car. On the claims side, AAMI seems to have a pretty good rep.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 313853

Reply By: wizzard - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 18:39

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 18:39
No you were not too quick to post here, the problem lies with the Call Centre Management of AAMI they are obviously incompetent and they are paying the price for it publicly here in this forum. Hail the power of this new media called the internet.
AnswerID: 51939

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 19:24

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 19:24
Hi Wizzard
Always get a name, & Email or phone back and talk to a Superviser tell them so they know whats being said & may fix the problem

Cheers
FollowupID: 313749

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 20:17

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 20:17
G'Day all,

As has been pointed out, this post is definitely not a waste of space or time as it helps to crystallise the general issue of large businesses using call centres staffed by people with little or no product knowledge. Has anyone called Telstra lately? I spoke to them several times concerning Single Billing (combining mobile ,internet ,home phone and Foxtel on single bill) and got more confused as I went. It took several lengthy calls over a 2 week period to achieve a relatively simple issue. Many people being paid less than $30k per annum are only looking forward to their next break or the end of the shift. They may only be following a script and have no interest. The job is only a step to the next big thing or all they can get.

Yet, as pointed out you may strike (and I have done this as well) a team member who is really into the job and will sort you out right down to the smallest detail. This is the difference between a person who enjoys thier job and someone who is just waiting for Friday to roll around. It happens in call centres, workshops, supermarkets, building sites, factories - everywhere and is a fact of life.

The difference between a good company and a great company is how well they manage this issue so customers are not disappointed or even turned away.

Best of luck with the cover Gajm - I'll be going through the same thing soon. You just have to be patient and maybe try saying "Thanks but I'll try somewhere else" then call back tomorrow and get completely different story from different operator the same company. You shouldn't have to do this but that's the way it is sometimes.

Steven
AnswerID: 51946

Follow Up By: thomo - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 20:26

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 20:26
My missus works in a telstra call centre and if you new some of the sicko's they get calling them and the abuse they get from callers and managment you would wonder why anyone would work there.They have strict rules they have to stick to or they get the sack.
FollowupID: 313760

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 21:14

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 21:14
Thomo,

I take your point that it can work both ways. In my own job I am responsible for doing what is called "2nd level support" for a major computer system in a large public sector organisation. That means that if the IT call centre (1st level) can't solve someone's problem then it is referred to me. Usually this means that I only get a problem if it is a really serious problem but that depends on who answered the problem in the call centre. Some of the operaters have been there several years and I hardly ever get problems referred by them as they usually are able to sort out the issue. Other operators refer many simple problems to me becuase they can't be bothered or are not prepared to learn the material provided to help them deal with the issues. They usually don't stay long.

Then there is the caller category that you talk about. Even within the same company (as opposed to general public) there are people who treat the call centre staff like dirt and only use them to register the problem so they can talk to the referral expert or senior support staff. These people soon get a reputation and get the level of service they deserve (busy right now - I'll call you next week) along with a letter of complaint to their line management.

With the general public you don't get the change to complain about the drongos so either they will go away eventually or may need more sensitive handling.

My original point remains though. It is all about how the call centre is managed. While companies mis-manage their call centres there will be instances of poor service. As usual it is not the 95 per cent of satisfied customers that we hear from but the 5 per cent that had the problems!

Steven
FollowupID: 313770

Follow Up By: John - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 21:17

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 21:17
Steven many people who are paid more than 30K don't give ableepalso.
Even the highest levels of managment fall into these category.
Use the NAB, HIH or One Tel or many many more as examples.

This is the dumb world we live in I'm afraid.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 313772

Follow Up By: thomo - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 21:24

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 21:24
You are both dead right.Its got a lot to do with management if they realised they only have to treat there workers like humans not dogs they'd get a lot more out of them.
FollowupID: 313774

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 21:27

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 21:27
Good point also John,

Some people work to live
Other people live to work
The rest of us can balance it out, irrespective of how much we are paid.

Steven
FollowupID: 313775

Follow Up By: Seto - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 08:29

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 08:29
Guys,

Just wait till the call centres end up in the low cost countries such as India - that is where the large push is from management. It is hard enough now when you are in sydney & you get a call centre in another state and they don't know the suburb you are in - it will be even worse "sorry what country was that?" , all in the name of saving a dollar.

The other thing to remember is that in call centres staff are expected to handle so many calls an hour & if simply saying they can't help with coverage gets more calls handled some of them just may do that.

David
FollowupID: 313995

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 22:39

Thursday, Mar 25, 2004 at 22:39
Hi Truckster,

Looked up "Abbreviations" but could not find NFI, but never the less I LMAO

Cheers
AnswerID: 51994

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 01:13

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 01:13
you need to be aware that most Camper trailer insurance does not cover you for public liability if your trailer is unhitched.
I.E. other peoples kids playing at campsite and hurt themselves, people walking past etc
This is what I am led to believe anyway.
AnswerID: 52010

Reply By: flappan - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 12:56

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 12:56
Obviously , its been sorted know , but I found that quite funny.

I have an email from AAMI (from a friend who insured with them) and they MOST DEFINENTLY cover 4wd CLUB TRIPS.

One of the only Insurance Co's that did (although I hear a few others are know doing it as well).
AnswerID: 52044

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 14:59

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 14:59
my cgu policy states, 'the vehicle is covered doing anything the vehicle is designed to do' . Yeah Baby........

Policy is through LBA insurance brokers in Melb (03 9820 0111), full comp, rating 1 protection, and winscreen/window cover ( 1 free per year). for $ 600 a year. Lba were very helpful...
AnswerID: 52411

Sponsored Links