Dunn's Track & Peak Charles NP

Submitted: Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 12:52
ThreadID: 11571 Views:2372 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Still trying to settle on a Easter destination and was giving some thought to going to Peak Charles NP (near Norseman WA) as someone recently told us in passing it was one of their favourite, little known destinations. Until then, we'd never heard of it. Anyway, I'm having trouble finding out much info on the place apart from secluded bush camping and spectacular veiws from the peak. Anyone been there and what can you tell me?

Also, when looking at PC on the map we noticed a track passing by it which extends from Norseman to Ravensthorpe. Our curiousity was met quite by coincidence when I picked up this months edition of Western 4WDriver magazine which has complete trip notes and some history on the track, known as "Dunn's Track". OK, so we have the trip notes but again, if anyone has done this trip it would be great to get some feedback.

:o) Melissa
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Davoe - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 13:45

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 13:45
What do you want to know about peak charles? havnt done the track but I often use peak charles as a stopover on my way back from fishing east of Esperance. Place was burnt out in 92 and is still recovering but It has been looking ok on my last few visits. steep climb to the top and possibly a bit challanging in places for the young or infirm. Usually no one there although that has been changing. There are no facilitys besides a long drop dunny. As you approach the campgrounds there is a track off to the left which leads to other nearby rocks and more secluded areas and probably is dunns track (I only followed it so far) apparantly it is popular with rock climbers as it has good faces for this but that is all I know on that subject. I was last there in oct 02
AnswerID: 52048

Follow Up By: equinox - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 16:11

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 16:11
I agree with you about how hard it is to climb to the top. It's one of the most daunting climbs I've done, especially the bit where there is a steep drop either side of you.

Lots of eagles were flying around at the top when I was there!

Cheers

Eq.
FollowupID: 313881

Follow Up By: Davoe - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 16:35

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 16:35
I usually come accoss the eagles 3/4 way up and they glide up to you sitting in the wind eyballing you watched them for a fair while but they never flap even when hovering above you
FollowupID: 313890

Reply By: Pluto - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 17:07

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 17:07
I saw that article too. Very interesting.

I have yet to get to Peak Charles. But I know CAWA always head out there for Easter. I doubt the campsite will be overrun, but you won't have the place to yourself either. Would be worth pulling out the binoculars to have a look at their antics up on the slabs.
AnswerID: 52080

Reply By: maverick - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 19:05

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 19:05
It's hot when it's summer and cold when it's winter and when it's wet.....well it's really really wet and muddy and slippery and great fun to try and stay on the roads and tracks. Apart from that a great place to have a look and a pity it was in the mag. as now everyone will go there and leave rubbish and cut up the bush doing donuts and other really good things. Dundas Shire is proving to be a bit of a 4wd destination and it is worth giving them a call as they are actually trying to establish a bit of a 4wd tour listing of tracks. Also there was a bloke (couple of blokes actually) promoting a thing called the Golden Way (or something like that) at last weekends Cara show and it was for the East Murchison / Gascoyne. Since moving back to Perth I have given that part a hammering and it is a great area with a fair bit to see. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 52101

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 11:37

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 11:37
Sounds like a good place to visit. The Golden Way...not to be confused with the Golden Quest Trail out of Kalgoorlie???

FollowupID: 314005

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 11:41

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 11:41
Thanks for the feedback everyone. We've decided to give it a miss this time around. Don't feel like sharing our nice secluded bushcamp with the CAWA and also sounds like the climb is beyond the capabilities of our 3 yr old . Shame!

AnswerID: 52185

Reply By: maverick - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:16

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:16
Golden Quest in Kalgoorlie is a different thing altogether. I think the other Golden thingo is to get people to visit the station h'stds out the east Murchison / Gascoyne. Not such a bad idea anyway. Most of them are pretty helpful and give directions to some good areas on their properties. Again - just behave like a normal person and they will be happy. I will try and have a ;look for the business card i picked up and get a bit more info - I was also a bit surprised at the lack of knowledge on this type of site / forum that the people behind a lot ventures seem to have. If they could get some of the news out into the vast space of cybers it may just generate a bit of business. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 52373

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:01

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:01
Thanks Maverick. I'd certainly b interested in anything you find out about the golden way.

FollowupID: 314167

Sponsored Links