Diff and gearbox breathers-Mitsi Triton manual '98 Diesel

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 12:15
ThreadID: 11599 Views:1840 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I wonder if anybody has extended the breather on this vehicle? The OE gearbox breather is a rubber giszzmo on top of the box which (presumably) contains some type of exhale/inhale mechanism. It is about 1.3cm diameter (I can't find one on the tansfer case-does anybody know if thee is a separate one for that ?). Also I have not located the breather on the front diff yet-any ideas??

I would be grtaeful if anybody knows a successful procedure to extend the gearbox breather - it appears to be a rubber 'bung' that simply plugs into the gearbox. Has anybody managed to form an effective seal for this type of breather?
Many thanks in advance
AdelaideG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AdelaideGeorge - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 16:47

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 16:47
Not sure haw to 'follow up' but that's what this is.
I've now found the breather on the front diff - very very difficult to get to. It consits of a 'domed' plastice cover (about 2.3cms high) under which is a brass looking cylindrical shaped thingy which is spring loaded and which froms part of an assy that scews into the diff housing. The assy does not have a regular hex to unscrew it - oh no! - has to be a special tool probelem - the plastice bases to the assy that screws into the diff has 2 notches that require a special pin wrench to unscrew.

Anybody know if I can pull out the grass cylindrical plunger thing and then attach my extension in some way?

Hope this is at least as clear as mud - as last time - thanks in advance for any replies.

George
AnswerID: 52197

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 22:14

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 22:14
George.
Yes you can use the brass tyre valves that clamp on to alloy wheels. One way to vent them is to run tubes up to the folds in the back panel of the cab then place pieces of foam over the tubes and then screw a thin metal sheet over the foam to hold it all in place. Eric.
AnswerID: 52227

Follow Up By: AdelaideGeorge - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 09:43

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 09:43
Hi Eric
I'm not sure about the 'brass tyre valves' - do they push directly into where the rubber 'bung' is in the hole in the gearbox? I understand the venting bit- that sounds like a good idea although I was going to take the more conventional route of petrol hose through to the engine bay.
A little more detail about the brass tyre valves would be very much appreciated - and do they also work on the front diff too? - please see my last post for details of the breather type on my front diff.
Thanks for the response.
George
FollowupID: 314059

Sponsored Links