air conditioning

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 16:30
ThreadID: 11604 Views:1213 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
have 60 series cruiser that i want to top up the air conditioning gas in. Gas is the good stuff R12 but my query is does anyone now how to do this, have gauges and gas but not sure which way to connect to top up gas, standard issue airconditioner.
And no i dont want to wind the window down and go faster to get airconditiong either -). thx in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 16:58

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 16:58
There should be a schraeder valve under a dust cap on one of the lines. My guess is it goes in there ..... don't know how to bleed out the air at the same time though.

Oh well ..... at least that's a start.
AnswerID: 52198

Reply By: Member Eric - Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 17:08

Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 17:08
For $80 dollars go to a workshop and get it done , You need to vac out the sistem in you want a good gob , To do that you need a vac pump , then you need to know what amount of gas your sistem needs . You need to make sure you connect the high side to the Compressor and the low side to the recever drier , If you vac the sysyem to quickly you will loose your compressor oil, this will be a disaster . Go and get it done , watch what he does , ask the odd question here and there and next time top up will be easy .
AnswerID: 52199

Reply By: Member - Eskimo - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 12:40

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 12:40
Unless your Qualified it is illegal for you use refrigerant gases that are prescribed substances which specifically includes R12.

This being said I would also suggest that as you are not qualified please leave it to some one who is as if you make a mistake you do run the very good likelyhood of destroying your compressor..... in addition to contaminating the system with moisture, dirt and noncondensibles all of which can also prevent the system from working if you are lucky and which will cost your megga bucks to fix!!
be warned!

incidently max fine for using r12 if not qualified is around $10000.00 in SA and these laws would be similar oz wide
AnswerID: 52276

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 19:06

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 19:06
The most common thing I hear on my telephone is
"My air conditioner needs re-gassing".... the most common response from me is "How do you know"???

There are a couple of points here...
1) It is illegal to top up with R12 (If you can find any!) without finding the leak!
2) The bubbles in the sight-glass are not always an indication of loss of refrigerant.
3) If you don't know how to... you probably shouldn't be having a go at it!

If you introduce air into the system, your probably going to cause more damage. Like somebody already said, pay the bucks and get it done right!

And when you do... heres a tip... run the air con a minimum of 10 minutes per day (I never turn mine off...) it keeps the seals coated with oil and helps to stop leaks occurring
AnswerID: 52306

Reply By: Pesty - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 21:13

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 21:13
some 60 series compressors have odd connections for connecting equipment, so you may find the ones you have dont fit and you may need to source adaptors.
are you using r12 or fr12?

Cheers Steve
AnswerID: 52328

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:36

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:36
its illegal and besides he will stuff it up so lets not encourage him!

whats fr12?
FollowupID: 314146

Reply By: masti - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 20:23

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 20:23
Thanks to some of you for the advice and to eskimo you said it all its illegal if you dont have a licence so suggest you look next time before you leap wouldnt ask if i didnt have a licence. I do white good repairs all day long have just never touched an air con so please SHUTUP if you got nothing constructive to say
AnswerID: 52476

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)