Tyre rotation

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 27, 2004 at 23:58
ThreadID: 11613 Views:1621 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Following up on Post 10441........I was looking up something in my Nissan's workshop manual and saw the reference to tyre rotation...

Left Rear to Right Front
Left Front to Right Rear
Right Rear to Left Rear
Spare to Left Front
Right Front to Spare

Goodnight
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 08:04

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 08:04
I am really bad on tyre rotation. I tend to notice tyre wear about the time that a new tyre is needed and assess things from there, matching up all other tyres from the collection. [I've got about 12 or 13 steel fatties with 31s lying around or on vehicles]. Shocking huh? What normally happens is I end up replacing a pair of back wheels or front wheels with new and pairing up a good set for the other end. With the Supa Trupa in particular there is Football field between each end. Oh yeah! and then there is the spare/s on the vehicle. I often get a surprise when I come to put them on the vehicle in the unusual event that that is needed. Sometimes find a nice new tyre I didn't know I had. Then I only need to buy one new tyre to match. Yep.... I know it's a sin not to rotate... I alway mean to, but never get around to it. Busy busy busy.....
AnswerID: 52250

Reply By: ianmc - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 23:03

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 23:03
Willem, from my experience if you rotate from off side rear to ns front the different wear patterns particularly with luggy tyres will have some steering effect, ie pull to left or right or make some funny noises.
Some say only rotate fron to back, not diagonal butr you might get away with it if you do it regularly before there is much wear.
If the G60 has plenty of steering slack you may not feel a thing !! LOL!!
I think there is a good case for taking up a collection & mounting the G60 on a pole with that jet trainer on the Oodnadatta Track when you eventually disown it!
AnswerID: 52344

Reply By: Moneypit - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 00:14

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 00:14
Willem,

You motivated me to do mine today. Trouble is I started at 4.45pm using a bottle jack [standard Nissan one]

Got underneath and started to look for jacking points. Referred to the owners manual and the picture of where to put the jack might as well have been in Swahili [sp] and was no help at all.

By the time I decided where to put it, I already had the brand new spare off the back, it was 5.05pm and I was committed to finish the job.

Got the back right off eventually after using every swear word I've learnt in life and then invented a couple more to describe the dic*wits in this world who insist on using rattle guns to do up wheel nuts. God knows how the wife would ever change a tyre if she had to and there was no ready access to someone with a bit of muscle around. Almost broke my bloody back and there is no way that she could have broken the initial crack of the nuts. Unbelievable some of the numnuts that work in tyre places.

Ended up getting 3 done and then the alarm on my phone went off. Took me a second to realise what the hell I had set it for and then panic set in as I realised I was supposed to be picking a mate and his wife up from the airport. Got a reputation as never being late and suddenly thats going down the toilet.

Had to finish the job, wife on jack winding up and down, being cursed for putting it up higher then necessary etc etc.

Ten minutes later finished, quick shower and to the airport. Reputation intact as Qantas picked a good day to have refuelling issues and the plane touched down at the same time that I did.

Ended up going with the Bridgestone WWW page info on rotation.

Spare to RR, RR to RF, RF to LR, LR to LF, LF to spare. [Nissan 3.0 TD]

I know its different to Nissan handbook but I figure Bridgestone sell tyres, Nissan sell cars. I have travelled 12000K so I know its a bit later than it should be but I'm working on the theory that its better now than never. Hopefully it won't cause me any problems.

Dave
AnswerID: 52354

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:48

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 10:48
Dave,

That is a funny tale albeit a strained one. Yeah, rattleguns are the pits. The tyrepeople are supposed to slacked the rattled on nut with a handbrace and then tighten. But in these busy workshops all they want is the vehicle out and the next one in. My hi-lift jack handle is used as a lever to undo stubborn wheel nuts and it is good practise to loosen and tightned your wheelnuts every now and then. I put very little pressure on the wheel nuts when tightening.

The tyre companies do sell tyres but my Workshop Manual was printed in 1960 and up dated which each model. Here they tried to give you good advice on how to care for your vehicle. The way to rotate tyres probably relates to the way the vehicle is built? Remember this is a utilitarian vehicle(truck) and not a sophisticated 4by with this and that added for comfort etc.

Cheers

Cheers

FollowupID: 314148

Follow Up By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 14:32

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 14:32
Hi Dave,

Rotation as you have listed is what my local tyre shop recommended to me. Seems to work OK so far.

Rattle guns give me the ..... Brakes disks are prone to warpage if wheel nuts are done up too tight, and likely more importantly unevenly. Might seem a bit anal, but on advice from a mechanic friend of mine I always use a torque wrench if changing the wheels at home. Out bush I guess that would be two clicks of the elbow LOL

Hugh
FollowupID: 314194

Sponsored Links