day trip around Preth

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 10:28
ThreadID: 11620 Views:2622 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys thanks for your replies and in a few weeks we can have a get together at my place.Anyway i want to take the kids and dogs for a day trip so where along a beach .Any ideas
...the school bus,still gets us there

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 13:07

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 13:07
Uppy,

Cannot drive on the beach anywhere near Perth.
Try the Lancelin to Wedge Island run

You can find details on this website; Trip Planning\Digital Mapping Data\PlotSwap

About halfway down the page you will find Wedge Island Beach Run

Good luck, don't get bogged
AnswerID: 52277

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:21

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:21
It's actually due for a big update based on our run there again in Jan this year - haven't got to it yet however, its on the list to do asap.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 314154

Follow Up By: uppy - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:53

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:53
Hi ,Thanks for the info.Went for a drive there.Like it alot,we are going camping there next weekend.Can you advice on camping areas
thanks , regards uppy

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 314164

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 14:26

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 14:26
If you are in York (Avon Valley)I have a few trips around this area on paper that would be great to take the kids into the bush ( not dogs 1080 baits)phone me on 96411600 bus hours ,I have a Furniture shop in town and am here most weekends
AnswerID: 52287

Reply By: Member - Rick - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 20:01

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 20:01
hiya uppy, if you are north of the river definatelly go for the lancelin/wedge beach area.
if you are south of the river, head down past mandurah to white hills, can get all the way down to preston if the beach and tide like you on the day. tho even if you are south of the river, lancelin is still a good day out.

rick.
AnswerID: 52317

Follow Up By: uppy - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:49

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:49
Hi Rick, we went around the Lancelin area and got totally lost.We are going there camping next week so this time ill get a map. We well have a look down south in the next few weeks . Thanks for the info,
regards uppy

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 314163

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 23:33

Sunday, Mar 28, 2004 at 23:33
Hi Uppy,

Being new to Perth, might be good for you to purchase a couple of handy books:
1) 4WD day trips out of Perth
2) 4WD weekends out of Perth

Both have ~ 10 trips for regions N, S and E of Perth. Trips notes include directions and narrative for background. Cost ~ $10 ea and can get from most local 4WD shops and some newsagents. Opp Lock in Balcaltta Rd, Balcatta has them.

Lancelin to Wedge Is is a good trip. If you're lucky wind will be calm, though often isn't. If you head up that way another nice place to visit is Guilderton, located at the mouth of the Moore River.

Hugh
AnswerID: 52349

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:23

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:23
Stockyard Gully is a nice trek (near Guilderton) and I also have that about to be published. I'm currently working on adding 5 new treks to the site however they are the first task to get the backburner when emergencies arise so please be patient.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 314155

Follow Up By: uppy - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:00

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:00
Thanks Hugh ,We will get those books .We love the area ,but got lost ,well get a map to next time .Are there some good camping site there. Any way I will ring this week to catch up.How was the drive on Saturday
regards uppy

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 314166

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 13:37

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 13:37
Hi Uppy,

As others have said already, Lancelin to Wedge Is is a good run. You can stick to the beach but it can be a bit treacherous in places. An alternative route across the Wedge Is dunes is via the army live firing range, which is open to traffic most of the time except when the army are conducting exercises. There is beach camping to the south of Wedge.

Just to the south of us here in Mandurah you can hit the beach at Timms Thicket near White Hills and go all the way through to Preston Beach. This is a good run, particularly if you like beach fishing, but since they closed off access to the dune tracks has become a little boring. BUT, its worth doing once or twice.

Best beach driving close to you is between Quinns Rock and Guilderton/Moore River mouth where there is a maze of coastal heath/dune 4WDriving with beach access. You can also camp along here although officially the Gin Gin shire don't allow it. Unofficially though, it is a popular camping destination for those in the know as the ranger turns a blind eye to camping if you are doing the right thing and no fires. If he comes by to give you a "warning" be polite. Give him any attitude and you'll cop a fine.

So you see there is lots for you to explore. Enjoy!

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 52400

Follow Up By: uppy - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 11:13

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 11:13
Thanks for the info,We will come down that way in a few weeks.I will e-mail you when we are coming.I hope the family are all ok and look forward in meeting you
regards uppy

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 314349

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 15:30

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 15:30
Uppy I am planning a trip down to either Blackwood river (margeret river way) or down dwellingup through North Danalup etc. It will be a small bit a 4wd but very cruisy stuff. Be prob a few weeks befor I get it together but you will be more than welcome! email me @ jeff@austechsurveillance.com.au if you are interested. It'll just be a weekender, bit of cricket for the little kids (and big kids) maybe a swim if it's still hot.
AnswerID: 52419

Follow Up By: uppy - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 11:03

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 11:03
Hi Jeff,ive sent you an e-mail but it keeps coming back.Yes we are very interest in a trip.Could you let me know asap and is it poss. to take our small dogs .Can you ring me H9402-0649 M0407275-220 thanks
regards uppy

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 314471

Reply By: Pluto - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 16:22

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 16:22
Hi Uppy,

For a good day's outing, you could try making an early start, heading up the Brand Highway and into Cervantes. Head to the Pinnacles (If you get there while the sun is still low, the phography is great).

From there, follow the Wedge track to Lancelin, via Gray and Wedge Island. There are plenty of dune fields to explore, beaches and some very pretty coastal heath country, inland of Wedge.

There are a couple of GPS plots in plot swap for the Wedge Island Beach Run. I recomend downloading the second one, as it takes you through a very scenic Grass Tree filled valley. Alternatively, print off the Trek Notes for the Wedge Island Beach Run. They describe the trip in the reverse direction to my suggestion. I think it's a better trip going North to South.
AnswerID: 52430

Reply By: uppy - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 11:17

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 11:17
Hi Puto .We like the area and would love to do it with people who know where they are going,If you are intertested we could look at it in the near future,I will ring you
.How did Saturday go .
regards uppy

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 52537

Reply By: chrisroi - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 14:44

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 14:44
michelle @ exploreoz. you mention that stockyard gully is near guilderton, fortunately its not, its near green head, lake indoon, which is probably far enough away from perth so as not to be overcrowded as its a great spot and when we went we were the only ones there,regards chris ps also the sign posting leaves a lot to be desired yay
AnswerID: 52558

Sponsored Links