GPS Which One To Get?????

Submitted: Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 01:13
ThreadID: 11642 Views:2357 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Bugger me folks..Too many GPS to choose from...I know very lettle about GPS units...One thing i can tell you there not cheap...Ive seem them range from $160.00 to $0000's ....All i know is i cant afford $0000's ....I've read alot about them and now im more confused than i was before....I know most of you people out there have them....All i want is something that can get me from A-B...And to keep me from getting lost lol....Can someone please help me out here...i have seen them on here for sale as well as on ebay and the quokka and the paper...Im sure from experience you all can recommend something with in my price range...even second hand i dont mind...I just don't know what type to get and i only hace a few hundred dollars to spend as well....I would like to be able to mount the GPS on the dash as well as be able to take it out of the holder....

I also would like to know about water tanks for the 100 series cruisers and what sizes are available and just where are they mtd as i have a large sub fuel tank and would like to know where you put them...sorry if i sound silly just have not seen any....

Hang on don't go away yet he he ...there's more he he...I want to know about ladders i have seen on the 100 series which are mtd on the side of the cruisers to be able to climb up and get things down from the roof rack...where do you get these from and are they a hassle in the bush...

If you were going to mount a spare tyre on the roof is it best to mount it at the rear of the 100 series or up the front over the cab...i already have one on the rear just would like to carry another...

well thats it...should keep you all busy i hope... thanks again people...appreciated as always...

Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 07:36

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 07:36
Phil

For bottom end GPS I reckon you can't beat Garmin 72. Can't be hooked up to computer, but helps you to know where you are. Nice big screen and easy to use, monochrome. About $350 range. Heaps of waypoints can be logged ... about 500 I think. Seemed to me to have the most features in that price range.

Cheers
AnswerID: 52357

Follow Up By: Pluto - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:08

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:08
The GPS 72 and the 76 series units are all capable of PC interface. They all take the standard Garmin round, 4 pin plugs. They use a serial interface, so depending on your PS's I/O capabilities, you might need a USB to Serial convertor.
FollowupID: 314151

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 18:40

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 18:40
There ya go Pluto .. show's you how much I know. I've got a 72 and only learnt half its tricks. One day I should read the manual.

But then again I've got a mobile phone ... and would you believe, when you get past all the gizmos and tricks you can actually talk to people.

Technology ... bloody amazing isn't it?

;-)))
FollowupID: 314247

Reply By: brooks - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:43

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 11:43
Phil,
we just recently purchased a Magellan Sportrac GPS, easy to use and large screen to see stuff on. We bought it from Ebay over the internet, allup including postage it cost $150 to buy here in WA it cost $490. Also bought a dash holder and power adapter for the cigarette lighter, together that cost $50 including postage. As for the GPS, we got it for the same reasons, and is perfect for our needs! Try www.buymagellan.com to check out good prices.

Brooks
AnswerID: 52385

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 13:13

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 13:13
Magellan color! They are only ~$350-400!
AnswerID: 52396

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 21:32

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 21:32
Truckster,
WHAT, where I'll take two........................... There's something not quite right here!!! I know go camping, I am at Easter.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 314287

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 22:06

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 22:06
Lets all sing like a footy club chant
"USA.. USA...USA...USA..USA..."

Order ours in the morning!
FollowupID: 314426

Reply By: Joe - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 14:06

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 14:06
Hi Phil,
Re ladder I had my ARB guy rig one up that hooks over the edge of the roof rack and then tucks onto the sidewall of the tyre.
I'm 100 kg and it works fine.
It is a hastle to cart around being long, but I need it to do my photography from roof rack on many occations. Have a look www.image-australia.com.au.

I also carry an alluminuim kitchen type step which weighs nothing, but makes it so easy to circle the roof rack and get things down with ease.
Regards
Joe
AnswerID: 52402

Reply By: Fish - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 16:13

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 16:13
Phil
I got the Garmin E-map a couple of years ago and reckon it is fantastic. It has a built in electronic map that makes it a bit more interesting to use. The map is suprisingly detailed, as it shows the most prominent tracks / roads relative to the area you are in at the time. The map is no replacement for topo's or other good hardcopy maps if you are heading way off the track, but it will show you where upcoming turnoffs go whilst you are driving without having to shuffle through hardcopies. You can also get the 12 volt lead and dash mount.

If it is a standard GPS you are after, I think they are all pretty good these days, just make sure you get a price on the dash mount and 12 volt lead to weigh up the total cost.

cheers
AnswerID: 52429

Reply By: Glenno - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 17:58

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 17:58
Im damm tempted to buy one of those $60 USB GPS's from Ebay for $66 and pick up a 3yr old laptop at Auction for $200. Solves the problem of where to save Digital Camera pics, and all i need is one of tose mapping programs and im away.

Cheers,

Glenn.
AnswerID: 52451

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 21:40

Monday, Mar 29, 2004 at 21:40
Phil,
I've gone for the base model Magellan Meridian, it may be worth abit more than you want to spend but I believe it's worth it in the long run. The benefits are around the programing, so much easier to do on the desktop and then download onto the GPS, routes waypoints etc etc. I've tried the laptop in the cab trick but it takes up a bit to much room for what I want. If I plug the route in and let the GPS lead me from waypoint to waypoint with a little alert mesage suits me, with the laptop it becomes the focus of everything, watching the little arrow move around. I've nearly come unstuck a few times when glancing at the laptop to check my position especially on gravel. Again my opinions as usual.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 52494

Reply By: Hedonist - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 00:27

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 00:27
Phil,

I use a Garmin eMap and love it - I don't think there is all that much difference between the known brands - my only stipulation would be to make sure you buy a mapping one - 100 times more useful than a set of numbers....

As for water tanks, I have a stainless tank that was supplied and fitted buy OL in Welshpool - 40 litres with a dedicated offtake for the Glind shower and a tap under the tank. It sits under the front passenger seat outboard of the lefthand chassis rail. Highly recommended. They have one on their own 100s if you want to have a look.

Cheers,
Pete
AnswerID: 52519

Sponsored Links