Comment: Carnegie Expedition 2013 - Day 8 - Man verses the Desert as boldly into

Hi Mick, have you considered running the tyres with some of that self sealing gunk in the tyres. Bloke I occasionally see at Ag shows and the like, flogs the stuff. He sits there quite happily boring holes in a Radial tyre full of this gunk and the tyre never goes down. Don't know how it would go on a split or side wall puncture but on a tread one it would seem to be the ducks nuts. Also what about run flat tyres that the military use?

You've got to love those sunset and twilight times as the sun bounces of the breakaways.

So when's the next desert trip planned for, the 9-5 must be killing you?

Cheers

Dunc.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:24

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:24
Cheers Dunc. I’m aware of the goo you mention but for many reasons we opted not to use at this point in our exploration careers. Run flats are a hard rubber ring that wouldn’t really work in our situation as the quads rely on the pliability of their tyres to be as effective as they are.

Yes the urge to be out there is definilty being felt at the moment. A few short weeks and we'll be away again.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 549123

Sponsored Links