Comment: In the footsteps of Carnegie-Day 11 Desert Discoveries (Arid ranges, lo

Very lucky boy Mick, that rock slip could have been very nasty. Hope your plaque doesn't get souvenired by the next travellers through those parts.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:24

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:24
Unlikely I reckon Dunc! Not many tourists out that way. Last bloke through was 1897 lol.

As for the slide, I'm surprised the lads didn't here the loud metallic clang of my butt snapping shut. It was worrying. All I could think of was the old clash song "Do I stay or do I go now" knowing a topple into the gully would have been injurious but losing the quad puts you in grave danger as well. Lying injured or unconscious at the bottom of a gully several kilometres from your companions makes you very hard to find. Not that you dwell on it but a bloke is mad if he doesn't consider the things that can happen out here. You are a long way from help. Something can rise up to snare the careless or inattentive and with hundreds of km of rough desert between you and help (or even the nearest airstrip), your chances are slim.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 549126

Sponsored Links