Comment: Marree Region and The Birdsville Track

Hi Baz,
When Marree gets a mention I often think of a gentleman I met called Bill Gwydir, he was a drover in the 40's along the Birdsville Track, one of the things he did in his latter years was 'train Droving' and that is where I met him. The stories and his humour were something you could listen to for hours.
Hope you enjoyed your trip, you should have had good weather for it.
Cheers
Graham
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Landy - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:24

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:24
Hi Graeme

Absolutely perfect weather in fact, especially when compared to some of the weather prior to our arrival.

The trip went very well, and was an opportunity for us to give the new vehicle a test prior to heading off on the Anne Beadell and Sandy Blight Junction tracks in about 7-8 weeks time. In fact we have never been along the Birdsville track and I’ve wanted to visit some of the ruins along it.

And of course, my mother enjoyed it immensely.

It is a remarkable place, and what really makes the Australian Outback, and bush, are the characters you meet along the way.

The Drovers’ who plied their trade in very remote regions are interesting, and whilst a dying breed in many respects I always look out for the many books that have been written by, and on them…

Trust both you and Maxine are well

Cheers, Baz
AnswerID: 549129

Sponsored Links