Hilux Turbocharging

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 08:15
ThreadID: 11671 Views:5997 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 1998 Hilux Diesel 3Litre 4x4, and am thinking of Turbo charging it to boost the power output. As this could be quite expensive, I wonder if anyone out there can tell me if its worthwhile or not. {of course the mechanic assures me it is} !!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trol - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 08:32

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 08:32
Ralph,

Do a search on Turbos, you'll find a heap of info in this forum.

For starters, you should do your homework by thinking about exactly what you want it for ie. touring, towing. Talk to a few different businesses that fit turbos to 4wd's and tell them exactly what you want and make sure you ask as many questions as you need to, even if they're stupid.

Depending on what you want, it will end up being a fairly expensive excersise but you will be happy with the results.

If you are in Brisbane area, I can recommend a couple of places to you.

Trol.
AnswerID: 52526

Reply By: crfan - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 09:51

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 09:51
It is also recomended you replace the clutch when you fit the turbo as have had some start sliping not long after the turbo fit.
so you will have to factor that in and a snorkle.
AnswerID: 52531

Reply By: Member - TuffLux (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 11:49

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 11:49
Ralph

I have a Hilux with a 2.8 Diesel, I have just had it turbocharged this year. You will notice the main differences in towing, carrying heavy loads, and the ability to hold top gear up step hills. For me, this was a great option and it certainly makes long highway trips less stressful (overtaking etc). It does cost quite a bit but if you plan to keep the 'lux for a while then it will be worth it.
Just don't expect it to be a drag car and you won't be disappointed.

Brad
AnswerID: 52540

Reply By: Meggs - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 21:59

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 21:59
I'd be careful if you are basing the decision on what has happened to 2.8l hiluxes. The 3l models had smaller gearbox and I think the clutch was smaller as well. I was speaking to someone last year who got more output by fitting extractors and a larger exhaust for less than a turbo. By looking at the exhaust system and manifold it could certainly do with some improvement. I have spoken to two people who have fitted turbo's to 3l models for towing and they are quite happy however one bloke had to fit a bigger radiator as the original one was too small.
By the way I have a 3l hilux and I was considering a turbo but due to the possible problems I have got cold feet and I may just opt for the exhaust mods or get rid of the vehicle and get a turbo one.
AnswerID: 52597

Reply By: Member - Russell - Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 19:56

Thursday, Apr 01, 2004 at 19:56
Ralph
In reply to your query from other thread (couldn't work out how to reply from archived post)
DTS Turbos in Malaga. Away from home at the moment so don't have any other details with me and have since sold the car.
AnswerID: 52867

Reply By: prado_95 - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 19:20

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 19:20
We should keep in mind that a Toyota 3L engine is a 2800cc engine, and the 5L engine is a 3000cc engine.

A 3L isNOT3000cc.

The two engines are different!

Perhaps we need to be carefule with the words. The orginal post said 3 litre (ie 5L engine). Later posts referred to the 3L (ie 2800cc) engine.

;-)
AnswerID: 53287

Sponsored Links