patrol petrol and timings q's

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 22:01
ThreadID: 11686 Views:1941 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I recently bought a 89 maverick 4.2 petrol with 200k on the clock
it seemed a bit sluggish and lacked any amount of torque down low so i did the usual - replaced air cleaner,fuel filter and plugs, then checked the timing. it was on 0 degrees. - I bumped it up to 10 degrees, which was on the sticker under the bonnet and in the gregory's manual and i start pinging. The low down torque is fantastic when i run it on premium. although costs are shocking. I returned it to a about 6-7 degrees and it stops pinging but i am gutless down low again. - it feels like a flat spot until about 2 grand then it picks up.

does anyone had this situation happen to their vehicle?
Is there anything else i should look to fix this problem.?

and also has anyone ever heard of the fuel popping from the fuel tank - it makes a noticeable popping sound just after i turn the engine off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 22:16

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2004 at 22:16
Everyone has a different opinion on gutless.

They go quite well normally, but are VERY thirsty.. 20/100 or worse. theres numerous threads on economy on these.

Something doesnt sound right, since you just got the thing, may be worthwhile getting a service done.

If your in Melbourne, can put you onto 4 great shops for GQs...

Is it Dual Fuel? Or Petrol Only?

Also check out
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Nissan_GQ_Patrol/
AnswerID: 52599

Follow Up By: mavman81 - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 07:11

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 07:11
It is petrol only and gets around 16/100 around town but i havent had a chance to take it on a good run yet,

does anyone know of someone good to take it to on the gold coast?
FollowupID: 314459

Reply By: SupaMav - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 06:52

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 06:52
The popping is prolly just the fuel swishing around and splashing into the sides or the top of the tank. Mine does the same. No biggie.

Mine runs ever-so-slightly more than 10 degrees of timing and runs fine . . . never pinged since I've had it. I do run it on the cheapest premium I can get (from Woolworths petrol stations with the voucher).

As Truckster alluded, your fuel economy may give you an idea as to how sick it is. I get about 17l/100 on the highway and 23l/100k around town.
AnswerID: 52605

Follow Up By: mavman81 - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 07:17

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 07:17
thanks for the reply supermav, i also have the swishing in the tank and as you said it is no biggie. although the popping is extremely evident as soon as I stop.i wont happen at any set interval after stopping, but i will be parked somewhereand it'll pop loudly enough for me to hear it when the radio etc is on either inside the cabin or outside.

i replied to truckster's reply with my fuel economy around town of about 16/100 - should i look at increasing mixtures? i can run it at 10 degrees with premium which gives me the best torque?

FollowupID: 314460

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 08:21

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 08:21
Wondering if your tank breather is blocked, or being hindered somehow, thats why it only happens sometimes...??

have a look in the right rear wheel arch, theres a cover there with 3 screws holding it on. Remove it, you can check the breather in there
FollowupID: 314463

Follow Up By: SupaMav - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 18:39

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 18:39
I'm pretty sure that the mixture adjustment on these carbs is only an idle mixture. Best thing to do is to get a mechanic to check the mixtures with their gas analyser. They will set you straight without any speculation.
FollowupID: 314524

Sponsored Links