Second/Aux fuel tank in Dual Cab Hilux

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 11:09
ThreadID: 11695 Views:7793 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G’day All, I’m a new visitor to this site and this is my first post, so be gentle.
I have been looking through the archives on fitting a second fuel tank to a Dual Cab Hilux.
I have found the ideal solution by Bruce.H in (PostID:3359) Where he fitted a second hand hilux tank on the opposite side to the original tank, I would also like to do this as factory “pressed steel” tanks are less prone to splitting than welded steel/alloy ones and I can keep the spare wheel where it is.

If Bruce.H is still around I have two questions in particular:
1. Did you mount it using the same method as the factory fitted one?
2. Where did you run your exhaust system and place the muffler once the 2nd tank was fitted.

If anyone else has any advice on the subject it would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Al
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 18:06

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 18:06
Al,
There is more to fitting a second tank than just fitting one on the opposite side of the vehicle.
There are a few things that you might want to look at.
1. The exhaust as you have already said.
2. The tank would have the filler pointing towards the middle of the vehicle.
3. The mountianing brackets are not there on the chassis and therefore whould have to be made.
4. How is the fuel going to get to the pump? Are you going to pump it across to the main tank or are you going to draw from both tanks. If you are going to pump across how is the pump going to stop pumping when the main tank is full, and how is the pump going to stop when the second tank is empty.
If you are going to draw from either tank how are you going to switch from one tank to the other and what about the return fuel line. The fuel gauge is another problem that will have to be looked at, how will it be wired up to read the fuel in both tanks.
5. Next the insurance, legal and rego issues.
They are the main things I can think of straight away, others will think of more. Keep getting as much information as possible before starting the installation.

Wayne
AnswerID: 52683

Follow Up By: DiesAl - Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 17:10

Monday, Apr 05, 2004 at 17:10
Thanks Wayne, hadn't really thought about the insurance, legal and rego thing as I didn't think this would be too much of a problem as from what I have seen in the archives plenty of people have put it second tanks but I'll certainly be checking all this out before beginning. Thanks again.
FollowupID: 314988

Sponsored Links