How many pages back do you read?

Submitted: Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 13:42
ThreadID: 116955 Views:2089 Replies:11 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
OK, just idle curiosity I guess.

All you forumites, members, visitors, occasional posters, lurkers, trollers......have I left anyone out??

How many pages do you go back when just browsing? 1, 2, 10,.........?

I'm not talking about using the search function. Just having a general read.

And yes, I realise this question just might have been asked before.

Cheers
Pop
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 14:18

Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 14:18
Hi Pop

As I usually check in at least 5 times a day, so it is very rare that I every go past the second page not unless I am following something that has my interest.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 549511

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 09:11

Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 09:11
Stephen,
That sounds like me. I check when I get to work (before shift starts), at smoko, at lunch, while waiting to pick the kids up in the afternoon and then usually at night.

It's one of the few forum based sites our IT department allow us to browse.

Fab.
FollowupID: 834941

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 15:09

Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 15:09
I check posts every day unless I am away or just too busy. If I am away or travelling, posts for those days get missed as I don't have the time to spend catching up.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 549517

Reply By: axle - Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 15:20

Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 15:20
G/Day Pop,...Depends on what arguments are on the go!..lol.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 549519

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 16:32

Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 16:32
Yeah, fair comment Axle.

I guess I should have also added something like " once the topic has fallen off page 1 or maybe 2 how many bother to post replies or follow ups."
Even if you are still checking in on it now and then do you bother to add anything?

Be interesting to know how many contributions the average thread gets after page 1.
FollowupID: 834916

Reply By: TomH - Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 16:28

Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 16:28
If you set your preferences to "response time" you will always see the most recently answered posts on the first page.

Simples

If you only pop in once a week you may miss a less popular subject. You will never however miss the following subjects which pop up every few days

WDH, weights, shackles, which should I buy etc.
AnswerID: 549522

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 16:36

Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 16:36
OK thanks Tom. I didn't realise I could do that. Actually got no idea how, to be quite honest.

Does this work like what I have heard referred to as a "bump"????

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 834917

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 00:58

Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 00:58
yes ...threads containing most recent post (including totally new threads) are "bumped" to the top of the list, though obviously new threads are there whatever setting (thread id/response time) you use.

Some forums have response time as the only option and a "bump" is often done deliberately to gain "attention" to a post if it drops a few pages behind.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 834936

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 16:28

Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 16:28
I think a lot depends upon how you have the display options set.. If you leave the default option (ThreadID) set you may have to go back many pages if you are following a long running thread. I hve my display options set to Response Time. That way I only have to go back to the response date and time when I last visited. (I also have my No. of Threads per Page set to 50 so I have a longer page making things quicker to look through.)
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 549523

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 16:38

Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 16:38
Cheers Peter. Definitely learning all the time.
FollowupID: 834919

Reply By: Idler Chris - Vic - Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 16:51

Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 16:51
This Forum is just one of many tabs in my browser (Chrome) and I click on it every now and again when I am looking for a break from what ever I am doing. Never go back as simply no time. If I am away or just not at my computer anything not on the first page I miss. The worst part of the Forum is you do a quick check just before going to bed and the next thing that happens is 2 hours has past.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 549524

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 17:27

Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 17:27
Ha ha, do the same, Chris. Just have a look before I log off.......bloody hell, is it really midnight!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 834923

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 17:25

Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 17:25
Pop,

I've got my page set at 100, so very rarely go back further, unless chasing a interesting, or provocative subject.

Last year I changed the setting to "Response Time", and now I rarely miss out on any current threads. They are always at the top of page 1, and for members, they are highlighted in a darker grey shade.

For example, that thread on Shackles, when the page is set to Response, kept bouncing back to the top of page. Otherwise it just disappears, eventually, into the archives.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 549526

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 17:26

Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 17:26
I try to reccomend settings of reponse time and the max threads of 100 per page Pop.

If not you miss things - for example I posted a Vic trip monday and these sorts of posts don't usually get replies so they filter thru and slip off the end and get missed after a few days unless you use the 100 setting, as this means people don't have to select another page.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 549527

Reply By: pop2jocem - Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 17:58

Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 17:58
OK guys, I have just changed the settings to "Response Time" and 50 instead of 25 as before and will give that a run.

Until you guys pointed that out, I must admit, I had never tried those alternatives.

I'll give it a go just for my own information.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 549528

Follow Up By: TomH - Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 22:10

Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 22:10
set thread number to 100 is better as some can drop down that far within a day if not many replies
FollowupID: 834931

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 18:00

Friday, Mar 06, 2015 at 18:00
I look in at least once daily and keep the Display Option set at 'Page ID'.
However if a thread is of interest I use 'Thread Watch' and so receive an email with each new Reply or Followup.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 549529

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 01:11

Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 01:11
Hello

In addition to the direct forum settings (thread id/response time, thread watch, colour coding) I also use RSS feed via MS Outlook to keep a track of the forum. The RSS feed sends an "email" to me when ever a new thread is posted on the forum (bit of a delay between posting and receiving, maybe 5 minutes) - you can read the initial post to see if it is of interest and click on "view article" link if you wish to go straight to website to read/see pics or make a response.

I am not sure how to set up in other email clients but with MS Outlook it was a simple case of clicking on the link at the bottom of the forum page and selecting "forum - latest updates" and a few other button presses - pretty straight from memory.

Cheers
Greg

PS - RSS feeds are also available for classifieds, newsletters, trek notes etc.

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 549538

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 09:05

Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 09:05
Can you give us a handy link to an explanation of the colour coding of the forum?

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 834940

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 11:47

Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 11:47
Hello -

Ok this is my understanding of the colour coding system - its not actually a setting as such (you can't turn it off and on) but it does (I think) require "cookies" to be turned on in your browser so that a record of your comings and goings to the forum is available (could be wrong on this - just a guess)...anyway...

New threads and threads with new posts since your last visit to the forum are shaded darker grey...in the forum listing..

Within a thread new replys (since your last visit to that thread) are shaded blue and new followups to replys, light brown..

Something like that anyway - basically any new entries since your last visit to the forum or to a particular thread are shaded a different colour to ones you have already seen (or had opportunity to see - you may not have read them). Older threads and posts just have a white background.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 834946

Sponsored Links