Problem with my 2003 Holden Rodeo 3.0 turbo diesel

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 14:20
ThreadID: 116966 Views:10261 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I was wondering if anybody has had a similar problem with their 3.0 Rodeo turbo diesel ? My (2003 model) has developed a whooshing sound (like wind noise) under load (normal driving); it still has good power during highway driving. It does not make that sound when revving it in neutral or with the clutch in, (matter of fact it revs beautifully), it only happens under load. The exhaust is perfect and so are all the other hoses but the air filter seems to be oiling up a fair bit and the EGR valve has become blocked. It has a performance chip and a 3" exhaust. It went really well when I bought it 18 months ago but has lost a bit of power now; I recently replaced the more loosely folded paper air filter that it came with, with a new standard tighter folded paper and wire mesh air filter and the turbo now cuts in at 2,200 revs instead of 1,550 revs before. It actually performs better when I put the old oiled up filter back in. A mechanical friend recently blocked off the EGR hose and said it would perform better now but I have virtually no power at all below 1,550 revs, can anybody shed some light on this situation please ? Pablo.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 14:32

Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 14:32
"Whooshing sound"? Sounds like you have an air leak between turbo and the intake manifold. These Rodeos have an intercooler too, don't they?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 549554

Reply By: Grant L - Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 15:17

Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 15:17
Hi Pablo,

I think you will find that Bob.Y's post is pretty close to the mark, I had same problem when rubber pipe from outlet side of turbo to intercooller was loose on my 2010 Colorado 3.0ltr diesel.

Grant
AnswerID: 549557

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 20:59

Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 20:59
Just a little thought, Is it the cooling fan making the noise? My triton had the fluid coupling on the cooling fan and when it cut in the thing sounded like a jet plane taking off. Perhaps it is running hotter requiring the fan to cut in.
AnswerID: 549573

Sponsored Links