Accessibility to Eliot and Twin Falls / Captain Billy site

Hi All, We will be travelling up to Cape York in late August with a true/dedicated "Off-Road" caravan (20ft) for the first time and would like to know from fellow travellers if it is possible to get a rig of this size into either Eliot &Twin Falls or Captain Billy camp sites. Read the blurb on the Qld NP site which states no "caravans" but nothing about Off-Road vans. Have seen many blogs with Off-Road vans in these locations. Experienced 4x4 driver. If these are not accessible other suggestions around the Jardine River NP would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tom
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2015 at 13:27

Sunday, Mar 08, 2015 at 13:27
Gone Feral,

When you get there, let us know how the bridge is going; the one replacing the grader drawn ferry.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 549602

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Sunday, Mar 08, 2015 at 13:41

Sunday, Mar 08, 2015 at 13:41
Quite a few low trees on the way to Captain Billy and some sharp entry/exit creek crossings. Plenty of room at the camp area for a van.

One steep entry/ exit creek crossing and water can be up to wheel depth on the way to Eliot Falls. Camp sites are tight unless you get a large one via the camp site plan available on line.

By-pass road is ok but be very careful as you leave Bremwell Roadhouse on the narrow section as vehicles in a hurry heading south tend to cut the corners. Not as bad after you pass the Captain Billy T/O.
AnswerID: 549605

Follow Up By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 09:12

Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 09:12
We had no issues taking our 19' Bushtracker up to the tip where we camped at Somerset Beach just east of the tip and also no issues going out to Captain Billy - Other than the nonsense booking arrangements.

Twin Falls and Fruit bat we visited with just the vehicle having found a nice private camp elsewhere.

John
FollowupID: 835054

Reply By: Rangiephil - Sunday, Mar 08, 2015 at 22:03

Sunday, Mar 08, 2015 at 22:03
Going by the couple of times I have been there, it will be a real challenge to park such an enormous rig in the Elliot Falls car park, unless you get there before all the tourists and buses.
Similarly there are only a few camper trailer spots at Twin Falls camping ground and the majority of spots are bollarded with a dinky little area surrounded by bollards to park your car. There is a tour group area but I don't know since bookings whether NPs will allow you to book into that area.
Its going to be interesting if you meet oncoming cars on the OTT into the falls.

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 549647

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Sunday, Mar 08, 2015 at 22:06

Sunday, Mar 08, 2015 at 22:06
BTW, I think caravans includes Off Road vans, purely because of their size, and the subsequent parking and passing problems on the OTT to the falls.
Regards Philip A
FollowupID: 835035

Reply By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 09:16

Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 09:16
If you are taking the van north of Bamaga and the Croc Tent then time you run north with the van for late morning to avoid the risk of meeting campers coming south - many sections of the track are just a narrow slot through the rainforest and two vans passing would be a problem. See my article in the current Caravan World Mag.

John
AnswerID: 549656

Follow Up By: outback epicurean - Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 15:38

Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 15:38
You said in the earlier post that you found a "nice private camp" near to Eliot Falls. Is this completely private or can you share with me as we are also heading up that way with Gone Feral. Promise i won't tell anyone where it is!
FollowupID: 835067

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 11:36

Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 11:36
Tom

We took our uev490 (4.9m long) and were travelling with a couple with homemade trailer (about 7m long) into Elliot falls. Both were extreme 4WD setups with well fitted out rigs. We had no trouble getting in across the creek crossing. It was deep at the time we were up there (last September) - just remember to stay to the right going in and left going out. It was tight to get in there but do able if you take your time and watch your line.

We booked on line at the old Tele station - Bay 13 was a large site and we both fitted onto it with awnings out. If you can book this one grab it. There was another large van in their and it was parked up in the tour operators site - apparently you just need to speak to the ranger.

We went out via Sam's Creek crossing and up the Tele Track. I honestly don't think you would get through with a full height 20ft trailer. There is to much over head to damage you. The guys we travelled with had a pop up so got through easily. My UEV 490 was difficult to get through, but it only sits a few inches higher than my Landcruiser and we had to watch it carefully.

We had no other issues with the trailers anywhere on the Cape.

I hope this helps.

Enjoy

Anthony
AnswerID: 549660

Sponsored Links