Comment: Pink Pea

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 08, 2015 at 15:08
ThreadID: 116982 Views:1438 Replies:2 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
This rather attractive pea flower has been sitting nameless in the wildflowers section for many months now. It was growing in NW WA. Anyone got any clues to its identity?
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 09:00

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 09:00
Hello John and Val

I passed the picture onto one of my several botanist friends and while they were not 100% sure, suggested maybe a Canavalia species.

A quick search of flora base and Atlas of Living Australia suggests (to me) that in maybe be "Canavalia rosea" - Wild Jack Bean/Beach Bean.

Flora Base Link

Atlas of Living Australia Link

What do you think?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 549704

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 17:48

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 17:48
Thanks Greg, much appreciated. I had considered Canavalia, but it tends to have just 3 leaflets per leaf whereas this one has 5 sometimes 7 leaflets. Also the flower spikes are a bit shorter and more compact than Canavalia. It could be a variant but for now I will keep looking.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 835145

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 21:24

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 21:24
No worries, though wonder why the current description of the "unknown" plant states it has 3 leaflets?? Think I'll stick to birds :)

Cheers
Greg.
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 835158

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 21:32

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 21:32
Oops - thanks for pointing that out. I went back and reviewed my photos which is where the number of leaflets cam from. Note to self - take care with details.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 835160

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 21:54

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 21:54
The only people who dont make mistakes are those that do bugger all, well this is the excuse I use explain all the mistakes I make :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 835161

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 22:02

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 22:02
yep, good point or at least a consoling one!

Cheers,

Val
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 835162

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 22:03

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 22:03
BTW thats a fantastic photo.
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 835163

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 22:22

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 22:22
I can only assume you are referring to my legs..

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 835165

Reply By: Member - Stanley D - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 23:44

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 23:44
Dear Val,
I have been reading, with great interest, your enquiry with the replies, about your 'nameless' pink pea. Canavalia rosea seems a likely candidate with some reservations.
I have checked other sources and although the colour of the flower is near, the leaves in your photograph have a 'fuzzy' almost 'felt' like texture, whereas the C. rosea leaves are a slightly different shape and are 'satin' (glaberous) in texture . Also your plant does not seem to have the twining 'bean' or mat growth one sees with C. rosea.
Your flowers seem to be a different shape. The parts of the flowers: the 'standard', and the 'wings'; are rather prominent with the the 'keel' being less so and the keel is below the 'wings'.
With C. rosea the 'standard' and the 'keel' is prominent, the wings are missing with the flower held 'keel' up.
The closest Canavalia with 'velvet' like leaves comes from Hawaii: Canavalia serica and it seems to have twining growth.
There is nothing like some detective work to stimulate the grey matter. I do enjoy your wildflower posts and I will be most interested to find out what it actually is- who knows you may have discovered a new plant! Not everything has been discovered in this world.
regards, Stanley
AnswerID: 549804

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Mar 12, 2015 at 21:54

Thursday, Mar 12, 2015 at 21:54
Hi Stanley,
First, thank you for your kind comments, its very gratifying to know that others are enjoying the wildflowers. I will keep looking for an ID for the pea, as you say it just might be something new. I once found a very unusual form of Kennedia rubicunda on the east coast - had very hairy leaves not the almost smooth surface that is usual. That was a bit of a buzz. Unfortunately the pink pea is too far away to go and find it for another look to check on its vital characteristics - maybe that could be a reason for another trip to NW WA.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 835261

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Mar 26, 2015 at 20:55

Thursday, Mar 26, 2015 at 20:55
I think I have found it - with some help from Facebook. Nothing new or even threatened, but good to be able to find a name for it.

Indigofera boviperda Morrison subsp. boviperda

Thanks everyone for your help.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 837125

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)