Hema HN 7 on Android Tablet

I bought a HN 7 last year & very happy with it. I just have a question. I am thinking of buying an Android tablet and just want to know if I can use it to run software to interface with the HN 7 instead of having to take both the laptop PC & the Tablet with me on travels
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 09:39

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 09:39
Hello

Depends what you mean by "interface". You certainly will not be able to connect the HN7 to the Tablet and transfer data in the same way you can with the PC (e.g. HN7 to PC via Hema Explorer).

If you choose to place OziExplorer (Android version) on your tablet, the same maps and data (waypoints/tracks) can be used on both units. However, while on the road you will most probably have to transfer data between the two devices by way of interchanging sd cards. I do not think it is possible to "interface" between a HN7 and an Android tablet in any other way.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 549706

Follow Up By: Nelson Nomad - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 16:43

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 16:43
Thanks for that info. From what you are saying it looks as if I can run an Android version of OziExplorer on the tablet and with that plot tracks & waypoints. But rather than interface directly with the HN7 I will need to copy the waypoint & track files from the Tablet to a USB memory stick and then from the memory stick to the HN7.
I have used a netbook in the past but a tablet seems to be a lot less cumbersome & easier to use and has a bigger screen. And it can be charged directly from the vehicle 12v system rather than having to use an inverter which I have to for the 18v netbook
FollowupID: 835186

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 17:43

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 17:43
Hi

You wont be able to use a USB memory stick - they dont work on Android tablets or HN7. As mentioned before I think your only option (in the absence of a PC of any type) is to utilise sd card/slot to transfer data to and from each device. HN7 has micro SD card so make sure you have an adapter if the Tablet you get has traditional larger SD card slot. Suggest you use the internal memory of the tablet a the primary storage point of data you wish to transfer from either deice, so just a case of putting HN7 sd card into tablet to transfer data. Obviously you need a tablet with an SD card slot - I am not sure if they all have them.

Also keep in mind that the android version of Ozi has less functions than PC version..does all the basic stuff you need to show where you are, record waypoints, tracks etc which is maybe all you need but if you leave the netbook at home check you aren't hobbling yourself in some way.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 835188

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 17:44

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 17:44
your overcomplicating things.
all you need do is is plug your tablet and hema nav into your PC and just drag and drop the maps into a map folder and waypoints etc into a folder youve named data on your tablet then direct ozi to look for maps in the map folder and data in the data folder
Apple users especially can get confused as the simplicity just doesnt make sense
FollowupID: 835189

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 17:55

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 17:55
Dave

You need to read the thread from the beginning. You have missed the point about there not being a PC on hand (while travelling).

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 835190

Follow Up By: Nelson Nomad - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 21:00

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 21:00
I guess I will just have to get used to the limitations of the Android tablet. Maybe I should think about a Windows tablet. Haven't really done any comparisons on the merits of the two. I have just been assuming that after my pleasant experiences with an Android phone that an Android tablet is the way to go. Android just seems a whole lot easier to use than Windows in a mobile environment
FollowupID: 835194

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 21:58

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 21:58
All depends on your personnel requirements. I was just pointing out limitations to make sure you were aware. I almost always toss in the netbook when travelling in a car (for reasons other than navigating - android tablets and ipads are close on useless for a wide range of more "serious" applications).

Small screen gps is really all you actually need if you want to navigate, record track and waypoints...but if you are in a car the bigger screen of a tablet/ipad/laptop is handy I suppose.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 835197

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 22:33

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 22:33
If you have an Android phone then you can test everything you want without buying a tablet because the tablet is just a phone without the telephone part and it has a bigger screen. Are you expecting the Android tablet to do things your Android phone won't?
FollowupID: 835199

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 23:03

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2015 at 23:03
No mention of any phone so far...so doubt there is any unreallistic expectations.

And keep in mind that registered version of oziexplorer Android is linked to serial number of device...so dont purchse until device of choice chosen. Demo version works Ok so no problem testing on range of devices.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 835200

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Thursday, Mar 12, 2015 at 08:42

Thursday, Mar 12, 2015 at 08:42
He said 2 posts back that he had a pleasant experience with his android phone and was hoping for the same with an android tablet?
FollowupID: 835217

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Mar 12, 2015 at 09:39

Thursday, Mar 12, 2015 at 09:39
No worries - my mistake, though it would appear that there are still no unrealistic expectations from the tablet (i.e. same "pleasant" experience anticipated). Nonetheless good suggestion - trying the demo version of OziExplorer on an existing Android device is certainly a good way to see if it will do what you want prior to going one step further and purchasing a tablet. The demo version does everything the registered version does though gps communications bombs out every 15 minutes and has to be restarted (and the Word TRIAL plastered over map screen).

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 835223

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Mar 12, 2015 at 09:46

Thursday, Mar 12, 2015 at 09:46
depending on the tablet memory sticks certainly DO work on tablets (although probablly not all)
all id do is exactly what i said - if he is on the road id just pull into the town library or comunity telecentre .... exactly as i said
to much over complication
FollowupID: 835225

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:02

Thursday, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:02
You think that removing and inserting SD cards is complicated? Would surely have to be faster (and less complicated) than driving into a town (if one happened to be nearby), tracking down a library/telecentre (if the town had one and it was open), finding a PC and hoping all the necessary drivers required to communicate with your HN7 and android tablet are installed and then transferring files.

I have never seen/heard of an Android tablet/phone having a normal size usb port that would accept a USB stick...let alone correct comms/drivers to allow data transfer. If they exist they are in the minority....or I am blind Freddy (possible:)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 835228

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:12

Thursday, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:12
...but wait .. there are USB stick adapters for Android devices

Android USB Stick adapter

Doesn't help much for case being discussed though as it wouldn't work in the HN7...

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 835230

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 22:16

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 22:16
Yep absolutely there's cables that you can run usb sticks from tablets
FollowupID: 835329

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 22:42

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 22:42
Suppose the next question is do they have cables that run from the nearest library / telecentre to the middle of the Simpson Desert (so things don't get "over complicated" :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 835330

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, Mar 14, 2015 at 13:38

Saturday, Mar 14, 2015 at 13:38
you would normally get organised before hand
im just letting you know that many tablets have the capability to run USB sticks without interfacing with a computer
also my coment about librarys and telecentres is also valid
he just mentions about being on the road - many to most even out of the way places have public access to computers so transferring like ive mentioned would not normally be an issue
my biggest mistrust about exchanging SD cards is ive learnt not to do this if possible as on a few occasions ive ended up with devices saying the card needs formatting - where ever possible i use non card removal options for this reason --- paranoid? maybe but as I said i have been bitten before let alone the risk of losing the tiny things

anyhow theres no question transferring data like he requires has no one correct answer and the proverbial "more than one way to skin a dead cat" comes to mind
FollowupID: 835351

Follow Up By: Nelson Nomad - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2015 at 07:04

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2015 at 07:04
Thanks for all your information & advice. Looks like I will throw the netbook in as well and then I will be prepared for whatever is needed
Thanks once again for all the info
FollowupID: 836526

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2015 at 23:00

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2015 at 23:00
Sorry for getting sidetrack with Dave..yes , if you were considering the android tablet as a full replacement for your netbook (which you already have) maybe not a good idea. Netbook will do everything the Android Tablet will do and more (though a tablet is good for some things). HN7 will obviously do the job in the nav department...and you wont have to visit any librarys :)

Have fun

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 836580

Reply By: Racey - Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 16:58

Tuesday, Mar 10, 2015 at 16:58
Nelson,

HEMA have an App for the Android tablets for $29.99. At that price you can't go wrong. Maps can be down loaded so you can run off-line. I run on my Sony Xpiria.

HEMA maps APPs
AnswerID: 549720

Sponsored Links