GPS software

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 16:36
ThreadID: 11704 Views:1635 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
First up thanks for all the interesting posts I have been reading here. I'm learning a lot!

I have been reading in this forum about GPS software, mainly OziExplorer. I am using GPS TrackMaker for all my waypoint and trip planning needs. It is a free download from http://www.gpstm.com/index.htm .

Questions: What does OE have over TrackMaker that makes it the favourite software used in this forum? (apart from the 3D capabilities, which are quite obvious)

Looking forward to many replies.

Cheers, CruiserHead
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 19:19

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 19:19
CH
try the free download and see what Ozi can do for yourself: www.oziexplorer.com
AnswerID: 52696

Reply By: Member - KG (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 19:36

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 19:36
up until a few months ago i used gpstm as well and found it to be very good (and it did what i needed) - and i think on this very forum i even advised people to save their money and not bother with ozi explorer

but then i looked at ozi explorer because of it's easy use with the natmap cd's

im now a convert
i've even bought it!!!

what else does it do?
it's moving map is a lot more stable and has a lot of nice to haves such as predefined zoom levels, auto mm start, much more configurable track logging options.

with the 3d plugin it can render full 3d maps (assuming you also feed it the topo info which isnt hard to get) this is bloody useful when you are planning

it works a snap with natmap cd's... this is much more fiddling with gpstm (it can be done but it's a lot more long and convoluted)

it's map calibration is much simpler than gpstm's

it has a damn good help file and tutorial that goes with it

no i dont work for oziexplorer, no i dont sell oziexplorer

cheers,

KG
AnswerID: 52699

Reply By: Ray (Geelong) - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 19:50

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2004 at 19:50
It looks good but I can't comment as I've never used it. The license conditions are interesting: The author grants a non-exclusive license to use the program, free of charge, if the user:
Does not use the program for illegal purposes;
does not practice activities that destroy or degrades the environment;
does not practice polluting activities;
does not throw trash on the ground or through the car’s windows;
when going to the beach and creeks takes his trash back until finding a trash collector;
does not practice any activities that hurts animals, like hunting, out-of-season fishing, pigeon shooting, dog fight, etc.;
does not buy wild animals that, by law, may not be created out of their natural environment;
has ecological conscience and protects nature.
People that for any reason do not fit the conditions above, are expressly forbidden to use the program
AnswerID: 52702

Sponsored Links