caravans and 2 wheel drives in the bush--what the.....

Have you ever traveled into ,what you think is a really remote area,really happy at how well your forby is performing after hours on the track .Then you turn a bend and ma and Pa kettle are sat next to their caravan enjoying a cup of tea.
Or similar and there's a 2 wheel car there.

'what the.....are they doing out here'

Happened to me a few years ago in Ruddal river NP .
couldn't understand why the track into jarra pool had scrapes on the ups and downs.
then we came across the culprit, an old couple with a 20 ft caravan and landcruiser.The bonus was we were invited in for tea and scones.yes they knew exactly where they were.

dont know if they knew where they were going though?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pmk03 - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 12:56

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 12:56
What ?? a 2WD Landcruiser .......... Ha Ha..
Like most I travelled many places I prob. shouldn't have in a 2WD long before I ever owned a 4WD (over 30 years ago now)
Amazing these days with all the gear we carry - & capable 4WD vehicles - Ah but we need them to get to these places now ..... Don't we ? Depends on how extreme you want to go. Prob not in most cases.
How I miss the simple early travelling I did in a Datsun 180B - Great experiences & adventure - No extra spares, fuel - Bare min of water. - What were we thinking ?
But getting older now & do like the modern comforts I now have
Happy Travelling !
Cheers,
AnswerID: 549886

Reply By: Mikee5 - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 13:21

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 13:21
I travelled through country now described as 4WD adventure country in an FB Holden before I bought my first Landcruiser (FJ40). In the Shorty I was on a remote track in the Flinders and came across a Combi happily camped up, no 4WD for them. Now some think they need at least a 2 inch lift and massive wheels to travel a gravel road. I was amazed at the wank value of the clowns who thought they were heroes for getting to Birdsville (not via the Simpson). I reckon most are victims of the current rash of 4WD magazines and TV shows. My grumpy old man rant!!!
AnswerID: 549889

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 13:22

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 13:22
G'day,
I remember my early travels in the bush using a 1967 Morris mini cooper until I got it stuck so bad even the 4wd that came to rescue me got bogged as well! Let me tell you it was a long walk on a dark night in the bush to get assistance.
A few dollars later & the use of a tractor to extract us both inspired me to get a 4WD instead.
Got me a new Suzuki LJ80 that I kitted out & travelled the high country & outback for many years. Also pulled out a 2wd F100 from the Howqua river one day. He definitely should NOT have been there.
Owned a variety of 4wd's since & only use a 2wd car for work.

That reminds me. company cars can go anywhere a 4wd will won't they? :-)

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 549890

Follow Up By: Member - John - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 14:22

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 14:22
Stu, wrong, not company cars, it is rental cars............................
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 835287

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 15:22

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 15:22
Ha ha. How true!
FollowupID: 835294

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 17:05

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 17:05
Hi Stu,
I said the very same thing to one of the forestry guys when we were out looking at timber on my place to harvest and he was putting his 4WD forestry vehicle in places here he shouldn't have, and with little or no consideration for the fairly new paint either. LOL

I said to him "Geeze, these Forestry vehicles are good, they'll go anywhere, won't they" He agreed then cottoned on to what I meant.

He just grinned back, but kept on bush bashing.

Must have read too much of Len Beadell. LOL

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 835299

Follow Up By: disco driver - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 21:16

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 21:16
Bruce,
Some workers use 4wds as part of their job and sometimes they get a bit scratched, dented or wet.
Look at underground minesite units, despite reasonable care and maintenance they don't last long.
When I worked in plant and animal eradication/control, I took my company 4wd through bush/scrub in order to get wherever I needed to go to do my work.
Often it got scratched, sometimes dented and sometimes even broke windscreens and side glass but it was driven with responsibility and care.

My supervisors accepted that in the work we were doing, some damage was almost inevitable and was classified as part of the cost structure.

Disco.
FollowupID: 835324

Reply By: Krooznalong - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 13:51

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 13:51
Generally speaking it is more often than not ground clearance that is the issue. Older cars had lots more than todays cars. And those old hippy vans had plenty. The old utes too could get to heaps of places.

I've travelled a lot of tracks in a old Commodore - in years gone by. Now I need a Cruiser (but it isn't lifted!)

I well recall crossing a creek somewhere in/near Kakadu and the missus got out and walked across to take photos and when I got to the other side realized she hadn't closed the door properly and we had a bit of water in her foot well. The good old days!
AnswerID: 549892

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 18:52

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 18:52
Ground clearance plus weight. The aforementioned Datto 180B probably weighed 1200kg.

My AWD Ford Territory is called two tonne tessie for a reason!
FollowupID: 835316

Follow Up By: madfisher - Sunday, Mar 15, 2015 at 21:37

Sunday, Mar 15, 2015 at 21:37
Most likely less then that, my HR holden only weighed 1140kg and it was a 6.
FollowupID: 835438

Reply By: Louwai - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 13:52

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 13:52
In my late teens & through my 20's I had an old VW Beetle. Front & rear cut off, big wheels on the back (Baja Bug style & street registered). I had that beetle for 14yrs. There was not a single part of Fraser, Moreton or Straddie which that vehicle didn't visit.

It also spent a fair bit of time out west of Brisbane as well. I recall I was following a track in the bush one day. Very thck undergrowth. I came across a guy on a trail bike & he was absolutely blown away that I was able to drive a car into that particular location.

The ranger on Straddie at the time used to get annoyed with me because he'd have to get out of his 4x4 & walk up into where ever I was camped. His 4x4 was not able to get up / in where I could.. :)

I was restricted by deep water. About 1.4m deep was it's limit. At that depth I was looking through the top 50mm of the windscreen & sitting in waist deep water inside the car... :)

Back then I had absolutely no problem putting my VW up against any (street legal) 4x4 in any off road situation. I would come out on top 90% of the time....
AnswerID: 549893

Follow Up By: Louwai - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 13:54

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 13:54
I also had a V8 HG Holden sedan that regularly traversed the Freshwater track at Rainbow Beach.

Although I think the track was in better shape back then....
FollowupID: 835286

Reply By: Rangiephil - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 15:14

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 15:14
I used to do Fraser in a 1971 VW Squareback Type 3. Got up into Happy Valley when no Subie could.

Only got bogged at the Eurong petrol pump where 4x4s had chopped up the sand , and was able to get out with the help of a half dozen pensioner ladies on a bus trip!

The greatest lesson I learned was trying to get up the dune immediately south of Eli creek near where the toilets are now. More overhang than an FJ40 and the roofrack flew over the bonnet and daughter over the front seats. I was then "in irons" and couldn't get out of my own tracks until I progressively dropped pressures down to 6PSI.
I learned a lot more about sand driving that day than youngsters these days with lifted and locked 4x4s..
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 549903

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 15:42

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 15:42
On the Gunbarrel in 2007 I was near the Gary Hwy junction when I came across a bloke in a late 80's model Camry sedan. He had a queen size mattress roped to the roof (Yes I mean roped directly to the roof...no roof-rack). He had the rear windows wound down a bit and had run the rope right through the vehicle. Same with the front only tied it from inside so he could release it to get the door open. Only 20 litres of extra fuel on board.

He was heading to Brisbane from Perth and these two "Highways", the Gunbarrel and Gary, looked to be the shortest route. We couldn't convince him to turn around but he elected to continue along the Gunbarrel to Warburton and head along the Great Central instead of the Gary.

I often wonder just where he made it to ;-)

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 549909

Reply By: SDG - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 15:49

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 15:49
And then there are all those 4wd in the city that have never seen dirt, or towed in their lives.
AnswerID: 549910

Reply By: Gronk - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 17:14

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 17:14
Came across a Honda Civic that got stuck going DOWN a track heading towards the river at Tom Groggin...just before the turn off to the Tom Groggin station property..

GPS said it was a road ?? his elderly mother didn't look impressed.....foreign looking person who probably had no idea...

His only option was to go into the station and ask to get over the river and back onto the tar ??

But after coming down the same track, he did pretty good until the last hill...
AnswerID: 549921

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 18:28

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 18:28
Last year I was walking the Larapinta Trail and walked into Hugh Gorge (80km west of Alice). World Expeditions used to bitch about how rough that road was with their Troopies, NT Parks claimed it was High clearance 4WD only. Lo' and behold there was a 20 year old Tarago.
AnswerID: 549926

Reply By: Member - tommo05 - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 18:48

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 18:48
Love these stories

Dad had a HQ Kingswood when I was growing up and it went everywhere. When the "4WD only" signs started popping up in the 80s, well, that was just a challenge to the old man.

Mum does tell the story about when he never came back from fishing at Gull Rock in Albany one time though. The old MKI Cortina didn't make it back up the boggy 4WD track that time. She called the cops and when she told them he'd gone fishing, possibly at Gull Rock, they knew exactly where to start looking. Found him and the dog walking home...

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 549928

Reply By: OutBack Wanderers - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 21:25

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 21:25
I remember visiting Moonee Flats on the Barringtons, we asked the local Postmaster for another way back to Gloucester, he told us directions for a road back. Off we went, whilst climbing this track we passed a Patrol 4WD going down, the look on his face was priceless, seeing a Toyota Corolla sedan doing what he spent thousands on.

RAFLMAO

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 549936

Reply By: cro142 - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 21:38

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 21:38
In about 1995 I arrived at Kalumbaroo in a '92 Falcon wagon.
At the time the track from Drysdale Station to the north was muddy with numerous flooded sections.
Boy, did I get some grumpy looks from guys with huge investments in tricked-up 4WD's, thinking "how the hell did that guy get here?"
I had raised the car a bit (~20mm) with spring work, but that was it for mods.
Careful driving based on experience was the trick.
Also there were 2 cars (both Falcon wagons) so we could help each other if needed.

I have been there a couple of times since in my 100 series - not as much fun or challenge.
AnswerID: 549938

Reply By: bigden - Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 21:42

Friday, Mar 13, 2015 at 21:42
my old dad passed away a bit over a year ago.

i have pictures of him going across the cooper creek towing a camper in his wb ute.

that old ute did 2 trips aound the country including the gibb river rd.
melbourne to birdsvile and back thru the flinders ranges and half way up the cape ( he never did explain why he turned around)

as a kid we travelled all over in many holden utes , mainly his company cars.

in the family album there is a picture of a company ute, an fb holden half way up what is now the wellington river walking track into lake tarli karng. they had to stop because they burnt the clutch out on the steep climbs

maybe we just expect a bit more these days
AnswerID: 549939

Follow Up By: Gronk - Saturday, Mar 14, 2015 at 19:10

Saturday, Mar 14, 2015 at 19:10
I used to drive around the Watagan forest yrs ago ( still can for most of it ) in a HQ Holden on some tracks that are now almost comp truck sections, but roads and tracks do change ( almost weekly sometimes )..

But I like the stories of people with 2wd cars doing this sort of stuff...puts things into perspective a bit I think !!
FollowupID: 835378

Reply By: BunderDog - Saturday, Mar 14, 2015 at 22:40

Saturday, Mar 14, 2015 at 22:40
Did most of Central Australia with my Dad back in the 60's in a Peugeot 403. Never let us down.
AnswerID: 549979

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Mar 16, 2015 at 10:00

Monday, Mar 16, 2015 at 10:00
Am I the only one with any pics?
All posted here before though :(

Stuart Highway, 1967.

West of Coward Springs, 1970.

North of Mulga Park, 1974.

Stuart Highway, 1974.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 550051

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, Mar 16, 2015 at 10:18

Monday, Mar 16, 2015 at 10:18
When fun...was fun!

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
FollowupID: 835463

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 09:52

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 09:52
Ah, the original Mini. It had the distributor mounted just behind the grille, like some kind of moisture detector, so even if it started to rain there was a fair chance you'd be out of the car.

Bob
FollowupID: 836851

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Mar 16, 2015 at 14:10

Monday, Mar 16, 2015 at 14:10
Have told the true story on here before , Wife's job entailed her to travel from Muttaburra to Boulia on a regular basis , had a little Kia Reo , all of 2" ground clearance but fitted with a UHF and spotlights , would phone after refuelling Winton and always call into the Middleton pub [ 1/2 way Winton to Boulia ] for a soft drink and let the publican know she was on the road again , simple and safe measure incase of accident as she would phone home at the expected time after arrival in Boulia , if no phone call easy to work out which section of road to begin searching , pre or post Middleton after the 1 phone call to the pub ,,,, any how this particular trip pulls up to the pub next to a swag of lifted and heavily out fitted Patrols and Landcruisers , as she is getting out of the Kia she hears a womans voice " Tell me again dear why we had to spend all the extra money on the car to do a trip to Mt Isa "…...
AnswerID: 550062

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 11:38

Sunday, Mar 22, 2015 at 11:38
Having done about 7 Endevour Car Rallies many years back, we took 2wd vehicles to places i see many people concerned about taking their modern 4wds and offroad vans to today. Some of the private properties we drove on had some fun tracks to drive, getting the 2wd vehicles over the sand dune at Haddon Corner was pretty good fun, as was going all way to the tip on the Old Developmental road atleast 15 years ago. It's amazing where you can take a 2wd vehicle when you really want to, and also when you don't care to much about what happens to it...lol
AnswerID: 551384

Sponsored Links